Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The "smirk"  (Read 26267 times)

Offline Thomas Graves

Re: The "smirk"
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »
Advertisement
How many people helped you beat your wife?

John,

I had a typo in my OP.

I meant to say "Couple thousand?"

--  MWT  ;)

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2019, 10:12:08 PM »
Oh, I know why they were manhandling anybody they felt like, but that doesn't make it ok.

The DPD were not "manhandling anybody they felt like." The DPD were called to the Texas Theater and the suspect was pointed out to them by Brewer. They were told by Julia Postal that he appeared to be running form the police and had entered the theater without purchasing a ticket. They could see for themselves whether or not they thought he fit the description of the cop killer before they even approached him. Therefore the police had reasonable suspicion, which could be articulated at a later date, (not just a hunch) that the person may be armed and dangerous: (1)-a murder had just occurred in that neighborhood and the murderer had been (2)-seen running away in the direction of the theater, the man in the theater had been reported to (3)-appear to be running from the police and (4)-ducking into the theater without purchasing a ticket, the police could see for themselves whether or not they thought he (5)-fit the description of the killer.

Technically, the concept of the Terry Stop originated in 1968, so it wasn't applicable in 1963. It was in response to police tactics in Cleveland, Ohio which were being challenged. The results of the challenge amounted to a restriction, reasonable suspicion, (not a loosening) of the stop and frisk practices that had been used freely up until that time. Therefore the DPD didn't even technically need "reasonable suspicion" but they did have it, nonetheless.

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2019, 11:17:32 PM »
... how big of a conspiracy do you figure it was?
Asked before...which conspiracy? The one that planned...the one that executed...or the one that covered it up?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2019, 11:17:32 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2019, 01:20:42 AM »
I will come back to your argument. But first I would like to know if you think that the police acted “illegally” when they stopped Hamby before he sprinted across the library lawn. Just this part, I already know what you have said about what happened after this point in time.

Here is a quote from “With Malice” by Dale Myers:

Hamby swung his car south off
Jefferson onto Denver and nosed into a dirt parking area for library employees. As he climbed out of his car, Hamby noticed a crowd of policemen near the intersection of Jefferson and Marsalis. He thought there had been a car wreck on the corner. Suddenly, two plainclothesmen appeared out of nowhere and grabbed him. Adrian D. Hamby in 1963. Courtesy of Adrian Hamby “Sir, what are you doing in this area,” one of them demanded. “I work here at the library. I’m a page,” Hamby replied unsure if this was some kind of joke. “Well listen,” the man replied. “Someone just shot and killed a police officer in the vicinity and we think the suspect is loose. Do us a favor. Go into the library, get a hold of management, tell them to lock the doors and not let anyone inside until we secure the area.”

So cops yet again dismiss yet another employee of yet again another building close to yet another crime. Seems being such an employee gives one some sort of automatic protection.

;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:22:30 AM by Bill Chapman »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2019, 02:18:31 AM »
They could see for themselves whether or not they thought he fit the description of the cop killer before they even approached him.

He didn’t.

Therefore the police had reasonable suspicion, which could be articulated at a later date, (not just a hunch) that the person may be armed and dangerous: (1)-a murder had just occurred in that neighborhood and the murderer had been (2)-seen running away in the direction of the theater

Who saw the gunman “running away in the direction of the theater”?

, the man in the theater had been reported to (3)-appear to be running from the police

Neither Brewer or Postal saw anybody running.

and (4)-ducking into the theater without purchasing a ticket,

Neither Brewer or Postal saw anybody duck into the theater. Postal said she was out on the street looking west at the time and she said “what man?” When Brewer asked about him. She also told Brewer she wasn’t sure if she sold him a ticket. In any case, not paying a theater admission is not reasonable suspicion that a person may be armed and dangerous.

The key point is that the police didn’t witness any suspicious behavior whatsoever prior to approaching Oswald and attempting to frisk him. Police can’t even write a traffic ticket on a civilian’s say-so.

Technically, the concept of the Terry Stop originated in 1968, so it wasn't applicable in 1963.

Hallelujah, that’s what I’ve been trying to tell you! In 1963 it was just probable cause. The police just argued that hunches (which is basically “if I feel like it”) were probable cause enough.

It was in response to police tactics in Cleveland, Ohio which were being challenged. The results of the challenge amounted to a restriction, reasonable suspicion, (not a loosening) of the stop and frisk practices that had been used freely up until that time. Therefore the DPD didn't even technically need "reasonable suspicion" but they did have it, nonetheless.

Seems like you’re trying to have it both ways. The Supreme Court clarified that searching a suspect without sufficient cause was unconstitutional. Even if that’s the way they did things before then. I know that you’re trying to argue that they did have sufficient cause, but that is not supported by the evidence. It’s after-the-fact rationalization.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2019, 02:18:31 AM »

Offline Thomas Graves

« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2019, 02:40:03 AM »
Asked before...which conspiracy? The one that planned...the one that executed...or the one that covered it up?

OMG, that's right!

Thousands all together, wouldn't you say?

I mean, I mean, I mean .... The Deep State is very deep, indeed, and has been for a very long time!

Thank God the Deep State known as the Kremlin installed Donald Trump as our president to clean it all up, huh?

--  MWT  ;)

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2019, 03:16:53 PM »
I mean, I mean, I mean .... The Deep State is very deep, indeed, and has been for a very long time!
I think it all rather shallow really. You do not have to be a very deep person to be a yes man. LBJ & JEH ...We have an assassin lets go with it.
Thank God the Deep State known as the Kremlin installed Donald Trump as our president to clean it all up, huh?
WTF? Sounds like another conspiracy theory there...and it is off topic :-\ 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2019, 03:16:53 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2019, 05:41:28 PM »
He didn’t.

Neither Brewer or Postal saw anybody duck into the theater. Postal said she was out on the street looking west at the time and she said “what man?” When Brewer asked about him. She also told Brewer she wasn’t sure if she sold him a ticket. In any case, not paying a theater admission is not reasonable suspicion that a person may be armed and dangerous.

The key point is that the police didn’t witness any suspicious behavior whatsoever prior to approaching Oswald and attempting to frisk him. Police can’t even write a traffic ticket on a civilian’s say-so.

Hallelujah, that’s what I’ve been trying to tell you! In 1963 it was just probable cause. The police just argued that hunches (which is basically “if I feel like it”) were probable cause enough.

Seems like you’re trying to have it both ways. The Supreme Court clarified that searching a suspect without sufficient cause was unconstitutional. Even if that’s the way they did things before then. I know that you’re trying to argue that they did have sufficient cause, but that is not supported by the evidence. It’s after-the-fact rationalization.

He didn’t.

Apparently the DPD disagreed with your opinion. And...he definitely wasn't a little old lady from Pasadena.

Several, including Warren Reynolds, L.J. Lewis, Harold Russell, and B.M. Patterson, Robert Brock, Mary Brock, Burt, Smith. Furthermore, at 1:21:29, the DPD channel 1 dispacher broadcast that the suspect "just passed 401 East Jefferson." This is in the direction of the Texas Theater (from the murder scene).

The "running" refers to Postal"s telling the DPD that the suspect appeared to be "running" from them. Postal: "I know you men are very busy, but I have a man in the theater that is running from you for some reason." The officer asked me what made me think he was running from us. I told him that when the police drove by the man ducked in the theater."

Neither Brewer or Postal saw anybody duck into the theater. Postal said she was out on the street looking west at the time and she said “what man?” When Brewer asked about him. She also told Brewer she wasn’t sure if she sold him a ticket.

From "With Malice" by Dale Myers:

Postal later told authorities that she remembered seeing a man out of the corner of her eye, approaching the theater from the east as she stepped out of the box office.[621]

[621] HSCA RIF 180-10119-10169 (Secret Service Report covering the period November 26 - December 5, 1963, prepared by SA Roger C. Warner, p.2)

Postal: "Well, just as I turned around then Johnny Brewer was standing there, and as I started back in the box office, Johnny asked me if I sold that man a ticket. I asked him what man, and he said the man that just ducked in the theater. I said no, by golly, he didn't and turned around expecting to see him. Mr. Brewer said he had been ducking in at his place of business and he had gone by me, because I was facing west."

In any case, not paying a theater admission is not reasonable suspicion that a person may be armed and dangerous.

Put it in context with a murder just happening in the neighborhood, the armed suspect seen running away in their direction, the police search, police cars coming by when the suspect was ducking into their two businesses and it very much is reasonable suspicion that he may be armed and dangerous. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain stupid.

They certainly can go to investigate something that a civilian reports to them.

No, it is more a matter of what is considered to be an unreasonable search. The fourth amendment doesn't protect against any searches; but does protect against unreasonable searches. The probable cause restriction applies to warrants. Before Terry in 1968, a stop and frisk (which is a limited search) was considered to be a reasonable search because it was typically used by a law enforcement officer that had a legitimate need to search for weapons. It was when police tactics of using stop and frisk in certain areas of certain cities became indiscriminate (instead of having a legitimate need) that the stop and frisk procedures were challenged in court. In 1968, the court said that stop and frisk was an unreasonable search unless there was reasonable suspicion, and defined what reasonable suspicion meant.

Additionally, courts have also established an "exigent circumstances" exception to the warrant requirement.[7] "Exigent circumstances" simply means that the officers must act quickly. Typically, this is because police have a reasonable belief that evidence is in imminent danger of being removed or destroyed, but there is still a probable cause requirement. Exigent circumstances may also exist where there is a continuing danger, or where officers have a reasonable belief that people in need of assistance are present. This includes when the police are in 'hot pursuit of a fleeing felon.' In this circumstance, so long as there is probable cause, police may follow the suspect into a residence and seize any evidence in plain view.

Society has more recently revised what we consider to be a reasonable search. A few examples are the security procedures we must go through to enter most large sporting events, enter secured areas of airports, certain government buildings, etc. None of those limited searches require "reasonable suspicion" or "probable cause." But society has deemed them reasonable under the circumstances.