Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Domingo Benavides  (Read 9944 times)

Online Martin Weidmann

Re: Domingo Benavides
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 01:14:25 AM »
Advertisement
Martin She not only said it in her affidavit ...reconfirmed it her testimony to the WC.     Damned if I can understand why you want to discredit her....  She's a valuable asset for us.

Actually, I am not sure who "us" is. Secondly, I am not out to discredit anybody. I don't have an agenda, nor do I have a predetermined conclusion. I just call it as I see it. For me it's all about the evidence and the facts derived thereof.

Having said that, I don't think Roberts is an valuable asset at all, not for the CTs but also not for the LNs. She is IMO in fact one of the weakest witnesses in this entire saga. You may not agree with me on this one, Walt, but it is my opinion that Earlene Roberts would have been destroyed by even a mediocre defense attorney, had this case ever gone to trial. I seriously doubt any prosecutor would have taken the risk of calling her as a witness to begin with.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 01:14:25 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 01:30:31 AM »
Actually, I am not sure who "us" is. Secondly, I am not out to discredit anybody. I don't have an agenda, nor do I have a predetermined conclusion. I just call it as I see it. For me it's all about the evidence and the facts derived thereof.

Having said that, I don't think Roberts is an valuable asset at all, not for the CTs but also not for the LNs. She is IMO in fact one of the weakest witnesses in this entire saga. You may not agree with me on this one, Walt, but it is my opinion that Earlene Roberts would have been destroyed by even a mediocre defense attorney, had this case ever gone to trial. I seriously doubt any prosecutor would have taken the risk of calling her as a witness to begin with.

You're right.....in believing that she is not  a sterling witness.... But when it comes to something as simple as the color of the jacket that she saw Lee donning....I don't believe that is open to debate....  It not like she described a particular color....  She merely said the jacket was dark colored...   You sure as hell couldn't call the WHITE jacket that the WC tried tp tell us was Lee Oswald's Jacket. ( Marina said that Lee didn't own a white Jacket)    My Point:.....Nobody ( even if their vision was badly impaired.)....could see a WHITE jacket and call it a "dark colored jacket" .

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2019, 04:35:40 AM »
Oswald had a jacket;

According to his half-blind landlady who was fooling with her TV at the time.

then he didn't.

I’m not sure what, if anything, you think that proves...

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2019, 04:35:40 AM »

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 09:32:43 AM »
Yes, but does that really mean Oswald did indeed leave the roominghouse with a jacket? Can we take Roberts' comments to the bank without verification? Let's not forget that Officer Baker, who had far better eyesight than Roberts, also said Oswald had a jacket on and Whaley claimed that he was wearing one, if not two, also.

How does one zip up a shirt as they go out the door?

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »
  Can we take Roberts' comments to the bank without verification?             
I've always wondered...who else was present and saw Oswald come in and leave the rooming house?  Was Ms Roberts all alone?
Why have a Benavides topic anyway? Everything about him was already done to exhaustion months ago   :-\

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2019, 03:27:26 PM »
Yes I have read Roberts' affidavit and if you want to take that at face value, you are more than welcome to do so....

I have serious doubts about what parts of Roberts' story are true or not.

Feel free to ignore that she had poor eyesight and was blind in one eye, feel free to ignore that her employer said she made up things and wasn't always truthful, feel free to ignore that she was paying more attention to getting the TV to work, which means she had her back turned to the living room and feel free to ignore that it took less than 5 seconds to walk the distance between Oswald's room and the front door, thus narrowing the time span she had to make her observation, but I will require a bit more than "she said so in her affidavit".

I agree that Mrs Roberts' story may not be entirely accurate..... ( I have doubts about a police car honking ) but on a point that is so elementary  as her observation that she saw Lee leaving and he was donning a dark colored jacket, I can't imagine any reason to doubt that....   It's not as if she was making that up..... 

Why do you doubt that Mrs Roberts was simply being candid.....   

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2019, 04:14:30 PM »
I've always wondered...who else was present and saw Oswald come in and leave the rooming house?  Was Ms Roberts all alone?
Why have a Benavides topic anyway? Everything about him was already done to exhaustion months ago   :-\

Yes, Mrs Roberts was alone in the living room when Lee Oswald arrived at the rooming house.... She had received a phone call  informing her that JFK had been shot, just a couple of minutes prior to  Lee's arrival. 

And as for Benavides....  Even though That subject has been discussed over and over there are still some folks who can't read Benavides description of the killer's hair cut andthen look at a photo of Lee Oswald and SEE that Benavides description DOES NOT come close to matching Lee Oswald's hair cut.    Perhaps it's hopeless....and  there will always be those who  are so blind that they will not see......though there is nothing wrong with their vision.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2019, 04:14:30 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2019, 11:16:59 PM »

I agree that Mrs Roberts' story may not be entirely accurate..... ( I have doubts about a police car honking ) but on a point that is so elementary  as her observation that she saw Lee leaving and he was donning a dark colored jacket, I can't imagine any reason to doubt that....   It's not as if she was making that up..... 

Why do you doubt that Mrs Roberts was simply being candid.....

Walt, a witness is either credible or isn't.

When, as in Roberts' case, her employer says she was known to make up things and when other parts of her story, like the police car tale, are at least questionable, you have a witness who lacks sufficient credibility to take her words at face value. Does that mean that she wasn't telling to truth about the jacket? No, it doesn't, but without some sort of corroboration, we will never really know and, because of that alone, I simply can not rely on anything she says.

But there is more. Roberts, an elderly half blind woman, was trying to get the television to work, to watch the 1pm news, and thus has her back turned to the rest of the room. As she was doing that, why would she even pay much attention to Oswald, who only needed 5 seconds or less to cross the living room, behind Roberts' back, to get to the front door. At best, Roberts would not have seen Oswald for more than two seconds before he walked out the door. Just how likely is it that she made a perfect observation of what Oswald was wearing?