Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Assassination 3D animation by Mark Tyler  (Read 11470 times)

Offline Mark Tyler

• Motorcade 63
Re: Assassination 3D animation by Mark Tyler
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2020, 06:17:49 PM »
Advertisement
    "Bowers and others saw a motorcycle officer dismount hurriedly and
     come running up the incline on the north side of Elm Street. The
     motorcycle officer, Clyde A. Haygood, saw no one running from the
     railroad yards."

-- Warren Report

While the Report correctly identifies Haygood as the running policeman, they are probably wrong about Bowers having seen Haygood.

Bowers: At the time of the shooting there seemed to be
          some commotion, and immediately following there was
          a motorcycle policeman who shot nearly all of the way
          to the top of the incline.
     Ball: On his motorcycle?
     Bowers: Yes.
     Ball: Did he come by way of Elm Street?
     Bowers: He was part of the motorcade and had left it for
          some reason, which I did not know.
     Ball: He came up---
     Bowers: He came almost to the top and I believe
          abandoned his motorcycle for a moment and then
          got on it and proceeded, I don't know
     Ball: How did he get up?
     Bowers: He just shot up over the curb and up.
     Ball: He didn't come then by way of Ell, which dead
          ends there?
     Bowers: No; he left the motorcade and came up the
          incline on the motorcycle.
     Ball: Was his motorcycle directed toward any
          particular people?
     Bowers: He came up into this area where there are
          some trees, and where I had described the two men
          were in the general vicinity of this.

Bowers is describing the short run by Officer Hargis to the corner of the retaining wall. Only Hargis didn't ride his motorcycle there; Bowers pictured that in his mind. It would be impossible for Bowers to see to where Haygood dismounted and ran up the knoll. Maybe after Haygood arrived at the abutment. Dale Myers determined that the "two men" Bowers refers to were in the area between the pergola's west shelter and the wooden fence, so Bowers could have seen Hargis' white helmet as he got to the retaining wall.

Haygood was a block away when he heard three shots. He passed the Newman family who were on the ground. He said: "Some of them were pointing back up to the railroad yard, and a couple of people were headed back up that way." When he returned to his cycle, he was told the shots came from the Depository.

"A motorcycle policeman, Clyde A. Haygood, dismounted in
     the street and ran up the incline. He stated that he saw no
     one running from the railroad yards adjacent to the overpass.
     Subsequently, at 12:37 p.m., Haygood reported that the shots
     had come from the Texas School Book Depository Building."

-- Warren Report

The man in the suit running on the sidewalk is NBC reporter Robert MacNeil. Richard Trask in "Pictures of the Pain" thought it might have been Dallas Morning News reporter Kent Biffle. MacNeil was in the same Press Bus as the photographer, Harry Calbuck, who was working for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

James Altgens is standing at the left edge of the Calbuck photo. This would be after he's taken his photo of Zapruder and Sitzman down off the pedestal, and himself having crossed the street.

As far as I can tell by the photos and films both Hargis and Haygood left their bikes on Elm Street, so I think this must be a false memory when Bowers refers to a bike going up the incline.

I agree with Dale Myers, Lee Bowers could see right down between the pergola and the steps with Emmett Hudson and the other guy beside him (probably F Lee Mudd).  I suspect that the "commotion" Bowers refers to is the third guy on the steps who runs away and then drops the glass bottle that Marilyn Sitzman heard smash just after the Zapruder film stops.

Hargis and his bike could not have been seen by Bowers as the pergola would have hidden them so I would guess that when Haygood stopped and ran up towards the bridge Bowers would have seen this.  The Couch film shows Haygood near the storm drain, which means Bowers could have seen him through the gap between the pergola and the fence as per the Allen photo:

It's possible to prove that Hargis took less than 15 seconds to get from his bike to the lamppost using the Bell and Wiegman films as they both overlap and show Charles Hester leaping into the pergola, which means Hargis didn't ever go up to the retaining wall.  Firstly we have this frame which occurs about 11 seconds into the original NBC broadcast of the Wiegman film on the day of the assassination:

This proves that Hargis is standing by his bike and has yet to run across the road.  About 15 seconds later (the Wiegman film is continuously filmed for about 26 seconds in the NBC broadcast) Charles Hester leaps into the pergola which is also caught by the Bell film which shows Hargis is now at the lamppost:

Ergo Hargis has taken less than 15 seconds to get from his bike to the lamppost which proves he had no time to run up the knoll steps or grass.  In my animation I have Hargis taking 10 seconds to go from his bike to the lamppost and his peak speed is 8 MPH.  The Paschall film also overlaps this timeframe and shows no sign of Hargis on the grass near the retaining wall, just the Newmans lying down and Hargis's bike (Hargis and the lamppost are both hidden by the peristyle column):

You can also see the National Press Pool car passing, and Zapruder getting off the pedestal which I have synchronized in the animation.

The misunderstanding about Hargis and the retaining wall comes from his testimony:

Mr. STERN. And did you run up the incline on your side of Elm Street?
Mr. HARGIS. Yes, sir; I ran to the light post, and I ran up to this kind of a little wall, brick wall up there to see if I could get a better look on the bridge, and, of course, I was looking all around that place by that time. I knew it couldn’t have come from the county courthouse because that place was swarming with deputy sheriffs over there.

He says he ran to the lamppost which is proven by the films.  However, he creates ambiguity when he says "I ran up to this kind of a little wall, brick wall up there", as you may assume he means he went within touching distance of a wall.  I think he means about level with the wall which is what the lamppost is relative to the retaining wall to the west or the smaller garden wall to the north:

The clue that he was nowhere near the retaining wall is this:

Mr. HARGIS. So, no ; I don’t remember any picket fence.

As a side note the Wiegman film was actually shown by NBC at too slow a frame rate and was about 20% too slow.  Adjusting for this the 15 seconds mentioned above is reduced to 12 seconds.  I explain this in detail in the handbook appendix C.1:
https://www.marktyler.org/mc63/mc63_handbook.pdf

This is all a bit fiddly to explain but I think all of the evidence matches up, with the only complication being bad witness memories or ambiguous statements.  Let me know if anything I said isn't clear, or if you disagree.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 12:25:39 AM by Mark Tyler »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2020, 06:17:49 PM »

Offline Jerry Organ

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2020, 09:26:15 PM »
I think your rationale about Hargis reaching just the lamp-post makes perfect sense.

It's possible Bowers saw Hargis' white helmet through the pergola openings. He seemed to think the figure had left the motorcade immediately. Maybe he saw Hargis raise himself up from the pagvement to the sidewalk and thought he had "shot up over the curb and up" on his motorcycle. Bowers may have then seen Haygood on the abutment and assumed it was the same man he saw earlier through the openings.

It's not possible for Bowers to see Haygood where he got off his cycle. And the wooden fence was a factor as Haygood raced towards the abutment by the bridge. The only thing I can think of is that Haygood ran halfway-or-so towards the wooden fence corner before veering to his left to run to the abutment. Then Bowers would have seen his white helmet.

You can scale your photos down using the Toggle View button and code:

Code: [Select]
[img width=512 height=407]https://www.jfkassassinationgallery.com/albums/userpics/10001/Bothun.jpg[/img]

Offline Mark Tyler

• Motorcade 63
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2020, 12:21:06 AM »
I think your rationale about Hargis reaching just the lamp-post makes perfect sense.

It's possible Bowers saw Hargis' white helmet through the pergola openings. He seemed to think the figure had left the motorcade immediately. Maybe he saw Hargis raise himself up from the pagvement to the sidewalk and thought he had "shot up over the curb and up" on his motorcycle. Bowers may have then seen Haygood on the abutment and assumed it was the same man he saw earlier through the openings.

It's not possible for Bowers to see Haygood where he got off his cycle. And the wooden fence was a factor as Haygood raced towards the abutment by the bridge. The only thing I can think of is that Haygood ran halfway-or-so towards the wooden fence corner before veering to his left to run to the abutment. Then Bowers would have seen his white helmet.

You can scale your photos down using the Toggle View button and code:

Code: [Select]
[img width=512 height=407]https://www.jfkassassinationgallery.com/albums/userpics/10001/Bothun.jpg[/img]

I think you are right about Bowers seeing through the gaps in the pergola because the Bothun photo allows us to see the Bowers tower, so it's logical that someone in the tower can look straight back and see what is going on on Elm Street.

The Bothun photo also shows Haygood just coming into the frame so the continuity is ideal for Bowers to confuse the two policemen with each other.  When Haygood makes his run and is then standing on top of the bridge in full view Bowers would have connected the two events as they would have been just 30-60 seconds apart.  Even with binoculars I doubt Bowers could tell the two policemen apart.

Thanks for the tip about scaling images, I shall use that in the future.  As a test I edited my previous message to be more user friendly.  Cheers!

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2020, 12:21:06 AM »

Offline Mark Tyler

• Motorcade 63
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2021, 01:54:11 PM »
I've just published version 2.3 of Motorcade 63:
https://www.marktyler.org/mc63.html

There are no major changes this time, just small improvements in various areas.  However, I have included a second animation at the bottom of the above web page which explores the ideas that were first established by the HSCA acoustics scientists regarding the position of a microphone in Dealey Plaza (it was originally suspected as being on the bike ridden by HB McLain).  Over the last 20 years or so these ideas have been refined by others such as Don Thomas, and recently explored by Josiah Thompson in his recent book "Last Second In Dallas".  Acoustic science is a somewhat dry and esoteric topic, so I thought it would be useful to have an animated version of this scenario so all researchers can see in real time what the practical implications are regarding the motorcade vehicles and timing issues.

In the main animation I have placed McLain in the positions established by the Hughes film (circa Z150), the Dorman film (circa Z410), and also the DCA film when McLain was on Main Street just before entering Dealey Plaza (and briefly by the Paschall film a few seconds later).  However, in the HSCA scenario I have McLain's bike travelling around Dealey Plaza to be consistent with the acoustics analysis, and also consistent with the photographic record.  Several important issues regarding continuity arose during this work:
  • I had to assume that the bike we see in the Hughes film at Z150, and the Dorman film at Z410, was officer JW Courson (nothing else seems to fit the evidence).  In doing this both McLain and Courson moved forward by some 100-200 feet from the positions established by other earlier photographs in the motorcade such as this Dillard photo which shows McLain (bike id 352) near the camera cars:

• This position was maintained just before McLain entered Dealey Plaza as proven by the DCA film:

• At the end of the Hughes film segment where the Presidential limo had just turned onto Elm Street, we see Houston Street without any bike visible:

• This was about 3.2 seconds before the Zapruder film restarted at Z133.  Using the shot timings from the dictabelt where the Z313 shot was fired from the grassy knoll, I have put McLain in the position to record the first gunshot at Z175 which is 2.3 seconds after Z133, or 5.5 seconds after the Hughes film frame above was recorded.  The animation assumes that McLain was just to the right of this film frame and sped up as he travelled the 200 feet in those 5.5 seconds (which is an average speed of 36.4 ft/sec or 24.8 MPH).  The animation also includes acceleration and deceleration near the street corners which pushes up the peak speed of McLain's bike to about 30 MPH.
  • I'm not aware of any contradictions between this animated scenario and the known photos and films taken during the time period studied, but if anyone thinks there is a contradiction please let me know.

Although this new animated HSCA scenario is theoretically possible, with nothing in the photographic record to contradict it, the speed of McLain's bike is completely preposterous due to the rapid acceleration along Houston Street (why would he be motivated to do such a thing?).  By contrast, the main animation has the bike moving around Dealey Plaza at its usual speed of 5-10 MPH and in close proximity to the camera cars, which is consistent with the earlier stages of the motorcade (and also in formation with Marrion Baker to McLain's right, with Courson in formation with Clyde Haygood further back).

As always, I'm happy to receive constructive feedback from others so I can improve the work and fix errors or omissions.  I'm especially interested in hearing from people who still believe the HSCA acoustics work is correct, but think that my animation positions for McLain are wrong (or if the microphone was on a different vehicle).

For a historic view of these issues, here are web links to very thorough articles written by Don Thomas and Dale Myers from 2008-2010:
https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/Essay_-_The_Bike_With_the_Mike.html
https://jfkfiles.blogspot.com/2010/11/jfk-assassination-acoustics-and.html