Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Darnell and Other Films at the Sixth Floor Museum - Introduction  (Read 6434 times)

Online James Hackerott

Darnell and Other Films at the Sixth Floor Museum - Introduction
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:07:21 PM »
Advertisement
One of three major goals of my recent visit to Dealey Plaza was studying the Jimmy Darnell film version held at the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza. Along with films by Mal Couch, Cook/Cooper and the DCA films (John Martin Jr. sequences). I hope to establish the sequencing and identity of the Darnell scenes post assassination. In particular I want to use the scenes behind the fence to map Darnell's path with the help of the John Martin film, Robert Hughes film, Don Cook (Cooper film), Jim Murray photos, and Cancellare photos.  I also viewed the museum's version of the Bell film used in the NatGeo "The Lost Bullet" TV production, because I could.

To view and study these holdings of the museum a simple form was submitted to the museum's Reading Room which requests the scope for the visit and an appointment time. No problem there. I soon received a response from Krishna Shenoy (Librarian/Archivist) accepting my request. Krishna was extremely friendly, helpful and patient with all aspects of the process. One is provided paper, soft lead pencils and access to a pencil sharpener.  No recording devices are allowed, other than the paper and pencil.   

All of the above films are digitized on disc and handled only by the librarian. The viewer has a keyboard, mouse and 20" or so flat screen monitor. All of this is good news. Unfortunately, the software to view the files is the open-source VLC player. That software is fine for casual viewing, but is woefully inadequate for frame-by-frame study. It was possible to stop the viewing close to a desired frame, and if lucky, could single frame forward (only) until the software froze. There is no zoom ability. And of course, no frame grabs were permissible. Which left this viewer the task of unskilled sketching frames of interest.

I spent nearly four hours on the Darnell film the first day. I was given time the next day to continue as needed. I then spent maybe an hour on the Couch, Cooper, Dallas Cinema Association (DCA ) and Robert Mark Bell films. And another hour or so back to the Darnell film. I generated about 17 pages of notes (more like scribbles) and sketches. A brief summary of those films follows:

Jimmy Darnell
Much clearer then most or all of the video reproductions which we are familiar. There are several scenes I've never seen before. I plan to report my observations in parts. Part 1 will be while Darnell is south of Elm street. Part 2 will attempt to describe sequences in the Rail/Parking areas. Part 3 will deal with the sequences after he returns to the plaza. Part 4 special interest.

Malcolm (Mal) Couch
I was looking for a film clip taken from the top of the knoll four to five minutes after the assassination. Some researchers assign it to Darnell, but it was not in Darnell, or Couch either. I'm thinking it probably was filmed by Jim Underwood after he filmed and followed the crowd climbing the knoll steps..

Don Cook/Cooper - Don Cook filmed the scenes. Cooper compiled scenes as a jumbled film.
Its about the same quality as the best versions found on various DVDs. Nothing new to me.

Dallas Cinema Association, DCA Films
In general, overall about the same quality as Robert Groden's DVD version. However the museum's John Martin Jr. sequences were essentially black! Useless.

Robert Bell
Nice. I was looking for and found a good frame showing the machinery half a mile or so west of the Triple Under Pass. It's something used for sand/gravel I think. A screen grab would've been nice.

End of Introduction
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:09:17 PM by James Hackerott »

JFK Assassination Forum

Darnell and Other Films at the Sixth Floor Museum - Introduction
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:07:21 PM »

Online Royell Storing

Re: Darnell and Other Films at the Sixth Floor Museum - Introduction
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »
One of three major goals of my recent visit to Dealey Plaza was studying the Jimmy Darnell film version held at the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza. Along with films by Mal Couch, Cook/Cooper and the DCA films (John Martin Jr. sequences). I hope to establish the sequencing and identity of the Darnell scenes post assassination. In particular I want to use the scenes behind the fence to map Darnell's path with the help of the John Martin film, Robert Hughes film, Don Cook (Cooper film), Jim Murray photos, and Cancellare photos.  I also viewed the museum's version of the Bell film used in the NatGeo "The Lost Bullet" TV production, because I could.

To view and study these holdings of the museum a simple form was submitted to the museum's Reading Room which requests the scope for the visit and an appointment time. No problem there. I soon received a response from Krishna Shenoy (Librarian/Archivist) accepting my request. Krishna was extremely friendly, helpful and patient with all aspects of the process. One is provided paper, soft lead pencils and access to a pencil sharpener.  No recording devices are allowed, other than the paper and pencil.   

All of the above films are digitized on disc and handled only by the librarian. The viewer has a keyboard, mouse and 20" or so flat screen monitor. All of this is good news. Unfortunately, the software to view the files is the open-source VLC player. That software is fine for casual viewing, but is woefully inadequate for frame-by-frame study. It was possible to stop the viewing close to a desired frame, and if lucky, could single frame forward (only) until the software froze. There is no zoom ability. And of course, no frame grabs were permissible. Which left this viewer the task of unskilled sketching frames of interest.

I spent nearly four hours on the Darnell film the first day. I was given time the next day to continue as needed. I then spent maybe an hour on the Couch, Cooper, Dallas Cinema Association (DCA ) and Robert Bell films. And another hour or so back to the Darnell film. I generated about 17 pages of notes (more like scribbles) and sketches. A brief summary of those films follows:

Jimmy Darnell
Much clearer then most or all of the video reproductions which we are familiar. There are several scenes I've never seen before. I plan to report my observations in parts. Part 1 will be while Darnell is south of Elm street. Part 2 will attempt to describe sequences in the Rail/Parking areas. Part 3 will deal with the sequences after he returns to the plaza. Part 4 special interest.

Malcolm (Mal) Couch
I was looking for a film clip taken from the top of the knoll four to five minutes after the assassination. Some researchers assign it to Darnell, but it was not in Darnell, or Couch either. I'm thinking it probably was filmed by Jim Underwood after he filmed and followed the crowd climbing the knoll steps..

Don Cook/Cooper - Don Cook filmed the scenes. Cooper compiled scenes as a jumbled film.
Its about the same quality as the best versions found on various DVDs. Nothing new to me.

Dallas Cinema Association, DCA Films
In general, overall about the same quality as Robert Groden's DVD version. However the museum's John Martin Jr. sequences were essentially black! Useless.

Robert Bell
Nice. I was looking for and found a good frame showing the machinery half a mile or so west of the Triple Under Pass. It's something used for sand/gravel I think. A screen grab would've been nice.

End of Introduction

JAMES - Did the Bell Film you viewed show the images between the sprocket holes?

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 01:05:20 AM »
   JAMES - Did the Bell Film you viewed show the images between the sprocket holes?
Royell,
Gosh, I really don't remember. I asked for the version used in "The Lost Bullet" and I think that is what I viewed. I was getting really short on time so did not get to study the entire film as I would have liked. I'll email Krishna and see if she will check that out. If I don't get back in a few days just bug me.

James

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 01:05:20 AM »

Online Royell Storing

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 03:30:48 AM »
Royell,
Gosh, I really don't remember. I asked for the version used in "The Lost Bullet" and I think that is what I viewed. I was getting really short on time so did not get to study the entire film as I would have liked. I'll email Krishna and see if she will check that out. If I don't get back in a few days just bug me.

James

"The Lost Bullet" showed Portions of the Bell Film with images between the sprocket holes. It never showed the entire Bell Film start-to-finish with the between the sprocket holes images. I am especially interested in the between the sprocket holes segments: (1) showing Wiegman running toward Zapruder on the upper portion of the Knoll, (2) showing that man running along the South grass section directly toward the corner of Houston St/Main St, and (3) Showing Officer Hargis leaving the light pole and heading across Elm St toward his motorcycle. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 03:31:47 AM by Royell Storing »

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »

Royell,
I just received an email from Krishna at the SFM Reading Room. Their Mark Bell version does include the sprocket images, edge to edge. I asked if the museum had rights to that film and they do not. So any screen captures etc are not permissible. I've already started a to-do list and hope to make a short followup trip, probably around springtime.

James

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »

Online Royell Storing

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 09:50:30 PM »
Royell,
I just received an email from Krishna at the SFM Reading Room. Their Mark Bell version does include the sprocket images, edge to edge. I asked if the museum had rights to that film and they do not. So any screen captures etc are not permissible. I've already started a to-do list and hope to make a short followup trip, probably around springtime.

James

James - Thanks.

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:31:37 PM »
Mr Hackerott, I know you want to roll out your account section by section, but could I ask whether you studied the Depository entranceway shots in the Darnell film?

Thumb1:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:31:37 PM »

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 01:22:02 AM »
Mr Hackerott, I know you want to roll out your account section by section, but could I ask whether you studied the Depository entranceway shots in the Darnell film?

Thumb1:
 Yes I did. Although I did not plan on that aspect I found myself somewhat surprised at the crispness of the PrayerPerson's neckline. We've not seen anything like that on these forums. I'd of liked, in retrospect, turning the monitor on its back and tracing the figure with my soft lead pencil. Instead, over two days, I made three sketches (I'm no artist). This is working on an image maybe an inch or two tall on the monitor  - no zoom function - no animated gifs- no enhancements. I'm still not sure what to make of it. I saw no recognizable feature on the face.  :-\