Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Sniper nest shadows  (Read 8010 times)

Online James Hackerott

Re: Sniper nest shadows
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2022, 10:03:43 PM »
Advertisement

My main question I wanted to get to was are we seeing true sun reflection on the lower portion of the pipe in Studebaker's photo, or reflection of the camera flash?

In your sim (with the window box removed) do you see the shadow on the pipe as indicated by the red arrow on Mytton’s graphic in his earlier post below? If so, I think that that shadow could be caused by the bottom member of the lower window pane. Please let us know. Thanks!
The animation raises the window from 9 to 19" (approximate Dillard height). It shows the bottom of the window would send a shadow near the area indicated by the red arrow.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2022, 10:03:43 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2022, 10:18:45 PM »
The animation raises the window from 9 to 19" (approximate Dillard height). It shows the bottom of the window would send a shadow near the area indicated by the red arrow.

Great, I think that pretty much confirms (to me anyway) that it is sunlight and not a flash reflection in the DPD photo! Thanks for everything you do, I enjoy learning these details!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 10:20:15 PM by Charles Collins »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2022, 11:21:55 PM »

James, is this based on the time of day being 2:20 pm?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2022, 11:21:55 PM »

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2022, 11:57:47 PM »
James, is this based on the time of day being 2:20 pm?
Yes, 2:20 pm. I did move the camera a little to the east to better match Studebakers location.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2022, 01:35:03 AM »
Yes, 2:20 pm. I did move the camera a little to the east to better match Studebakers location.

I thought so. Thanks! Just eyeballing it, the shadow of the bottom of the window on the pipe appears to be about the same height (when in the highest position) off the floor as it appears in the DPD photo. I think I remember Jerry Organ posting a measurement of the coupling off the floor that Stephen Fagin made for us. That coupling shows up in the DPD photo and is indicated in Mytton’s graphic. It might be a further indicator to help judge the time of day if we were to place a coupling at the right place in our models. Just a thought.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2022, 01:35:03 AM »

Online James Hackerott

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2022, 12:23:22 AM »
I thought so. Thanks! Just eyeballing it, the shadow of the bottom of the window on the pipe appears to be about the same height (when in the highest position) off the floor as it appears in the DPD photo. I think I remember Jerry Organ posting a measurement of the coupling off the floor that Stephen Fagin made for us. That coupling shows up in the DPD photo and is indicated in Mytton’s graphic. It might be a further indicator to help judge the time of day if we were to place a coupling at the right place in our models. Just a thought.
Coupling estimated as 3” long, 1.25” radius, 10-13” from floor (no nuts or bolts).
The photo shows the coupling as red for easy viewing, while the animation flips the 3D rendering with the photo using the same texture as the pipe.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2022, 12:54:38 AM »
Coupling estimated as 3” long, 1.25” radius, 10-13” from floor (no nuts or bolts).
The photo shows the coupling as red for easy viewing, while the animation flips the 3D rendering with the photo using the same texture as the pipe.

Well done James!  It appears to me that everything is reasonably close to the DPD photo. Thanks for the good work! You always go the extra “miles” and it sure does help us understand things better! 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2022, 12:54:38 AM »