Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Gus Rose  (Read 18582 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: Gus Rose
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
Advertisement
There is a difference between not being totally surprised and saying "I've been expecting you", isn't there?

I don't claim to know what was going through Ruth Paine's mind at the time. But I have read much of what has been written about her (from people who did know her). From what they have written, and from Ruth's actions, it appears that she was a nice person who tried to be helpful.

Everyone doesn't always choose their words with exacting precision. What might have been a more precise choice of words (instead of I've been expecting you) might have been: I had a hunch that the FBI would be back when I heard on the TV that the shots reportedly came from LHO's place of employment.

That makes more sense to me than whatever sinister concoction the CT crowd might have imagined that it "suggests."

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2019, 07:45:46 PM »
I don't claim to know what was going through Ruth Paine's mind at the time. But I have read much of what has been written about her (from people who did know her). From what they have written, and from Ruth's actions, it appears that she was a nice person who tried to be helpful.

Everyone doesn't always choose their words with exacting precision. What might have been a more precise choice of words (instead of I've been expecting you) might have been: I had a hunch that the FBI would be back when I heard on the TV that the shots reportedly came from LHO's place of employment.

That makes more sense to me than whatever sinister concoction the CT crowd might have imagined that it "suggests."

it appears that she was a nice person who tried to be helpful.

Ruth herself said that she was spying on the Oswald's and reporting to the FBI.....  Have you read her testimony?

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2019, 11:04:56 PM »
From “No More Silence” by Larry Sneed:

Interview of Elmo L. Cunningham, Lieutenant, Forgery Bureau, DPD:

I left [Texas Theater] after about an additional ten minutes then drove to City Hall where Oswald had been taken onto the third floor. Captain Fritz had talked to him awhile and came out into the hall and asked me if I would go with one of his officers to search his room over on North Beckley. Apparently Oswald had told him that that was where he was staying. I don’t think at the time that he intended to tell Fritz where his wife was.

When I looked at the testimonies a while back, particularly Fritz's, I seriously doubt the Beckley address was originally provided by Oswald. Have you looked at what Fritz said? Also the FBI guys (Bookout and Hosty) provide a 3.15pm timestamp for the commencement of their interrogation. Fritz said they arrived just after he started talking to Oswald......Do we have a time that the first interrogation officially started?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2019, 11:04:56 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2019, 11:21:03 PM »
When I looked at the testimonies a while back, particularly Fritz's, I seriously doubt the Beckley address was originally provided by Oswald. Have you looked at what Fritz said? Also the FBI guys (Bookout and Hosty) provide a 3.15pm timestamp for the commencement of their interrogation. Fritz said they arrived just after he started talking to Oswald......Do we have a time that the first interrogation officially started?

FBI SAIC Gordon Shanklin called Curry and requested that the DPD refrain from questioning Lee Oswald until FBI agenty Hosty could be present .   Shanklin explained that Hosty had been "working with these people" and had first hand knowledge concerning Oswald.   So they waited until Hosty arrived.   The interrogation started at 3:15...

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2019, 12:23:04 AM »

Yes, I looked at what Fritz said. We discussed it earlier in this thread. He couldn’t remember for sure whether Oswald gave him the address or another officer just outside his office did. I also posted this earlier in this thread:

Words from Joe R. Cody in his interview in “No More Silence” by Larry Sneed:

Initially, I was alone in the little interrogation room with Oswald. When he told me his name, it kind of rang a bell. The only things that he told me were his name, that he had been in the Marine Corps, his serial number, and where he lived and worked.

This was right after they brought him into the police station and before Fritz returned.

So we have three different officers essentially telling us that Oswald was the source (Fritz, Cody, and Cunningham).

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2019, 12:23:04 AM »

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2019, 04:11:33 AM »
Yes, I looked at what Fritz said. We discussed it earlier in this thread. He couldn’t remember for sure whether Oswald gave him the address or another officer just outside his office did. I also posted this earlier in this thread:

Words from Joe R. Cody in his interview in “No More Silence” by Larry Sneed:

Initially, I was alone in the little interrogation room with Oswald. When he told me his name, it kind of rang a bell. The only things that he told me were his name, that he had been in the Marine Corps, his serial number, and where he lived and worked.

This was right after they brought him into the police station and before Fritz returned.

So we have three different officers essentially telling us that Oswald was the source (Fritz, Cody, and Cunningham).

Mr. BALL. Yes. What did you do after you had sent the officers to Irving?
Mr. FRITZ. When I started to talk to this prisoner or maybe just before I started to talk to him, some officer told me outside of my office that he had a room on Beckley, I don't know who that officer was, I think we can find out, I have since I have talked to you this morning I have talked to Lieutenant Baker and he says I know maybe who that officer was, but I am not sure yet.
Mr. BALL. Some officer told you that he thought this man had a room on Beckley?
Mr. FRITZ. Yes, sir.
Mr. BALL. Had he been brought into the station by that time?
Mr. FRITZ. He was at the station when we got there, you know.
Mr. BALL. He was?
Mr. FRITZ. Yes, sir; so then I talked to him and I asked him where his room was on Beckley.
Mr. BALL. Then you started to interrogate Oswald, did you?
Mr. FRITZ. yes, sir.

Mr. BALL. Was there anything said about where he lived?
Mr. FRITZ. Where he lived? Right at that time?
Mr. BALL. Yes.
Mr. FRITZ. I am sure I had no way of asking him where he lived but I am not too sure about that--just how quick he told me because he corrected me, I thought he lived in Irving and he told me he didn't live in Irving. He lived on Beckley as the officer had told me outside.

Oswald told him after the officer.

Also...

Mr. BALL. Up to that time you hadn't sent any men out to North Beckley, had you?
Mr. FRITZ. Well, I sent them out there real soon and Officer Potts called me back from out there and talked to me on the telephone and gave me a report from out there on the telephone, and I am sure that that is the time that he told me about the way he was registered, and I asked Oswald about why he was registered under this other name.
Mr. BALL. What other name?
Mr. FRITZ. Of O. L. Lee.

Seems reasonably clear that an officer told Fritz about the room on Beckley before the interrogation started. The question is what time was it when he was told? What address did Cody claim Oswald told him? Was it Oak Cliff or Irving? As for Cunningham....."apparently" is hardly convincing.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2019, 01:11:31 PM »
Mr. BALL. Yes. What did you do after you had sent the officers to Irving?
Mr. FRITZ. When I started to talk to this prisoner or maybe just before I started to talk to him, some officer told me outside of my office that he had a room on Beckley, I don't know who that officer was, I think we can find out, I have since I have talked to you this morning I have talked to Lieutenant Baker and he says I know maybe who that officer was, but I am not sure yet.
Mr. BALL. Some officer told you that he thought this man had a room on Beckley?
Mr. FRITZ. Yes, sir.
Mr. BALL. Had he been brought into the station by that time?
Mr. FRITZ. He was at the station when we got there, you know.
Mr. BALL. He was?
Mr. FRITZ. Yes, sir; so then I talked to him and I asked him where his room was on Beckley.
Mr. BALL. Then you started to interrogate Oswald, did you?
Mr. FRITZ. yes, sir.

Mr. BALL. Was there anything said about where he lived?
Mr. FRITZ. Where he lived? Right at that time?
Mr. BALL. Yes.
Mr. FRITZ. I am sure I had no way of asking him where he lived but I am not too sure about that--just how quick he told me because he corrected me, I thought he lived in Irving and he told me he didn't live in Irving. He lived on Beckley as the officer had told me outside.

Oswald told him after the officer.

Also...

Mr. BALL. Up to that time you hadn't sent any men out to North Beckley, had you?
Mr. FRITZ. Well, I sent them out there real soon and Officer Potts called me back from out there and talked to me on the telephone and gave me a report from out there on the telephone, and I am sure that that is the time that he told me about the way he was registered, and I asked Oswald about why he was registered under this other name.
Mr. BALL. What other name?
Mr. FRITZ. Of O. L. Lee.

Seems reasonably clear that an officer told Fritz about the room on Beckley before the interrogation started. The question is what time was it when he was told? What address did Cody claim Oswald told him? Was it Oak Cliff or Irving? As for Cunningham....."apparently" is hardly convincing.

Here are some additional words from Cunningham in the interview by Larry Sneed:

The North Beckley address was located near the intersection of Zang and Beckley in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas. It was a fine home, probably 4,500 square feet with a huge living room and kind of a passageway which adjoined a dining room. This lady had several roomers. In fact, when we went in and asked her if she had a guy by the name of Lee Harvey Oswald rooming there, she told us, no. After we began describing him, she said, “Well, there’s a young man and his wife who live out there,” referring to a little house out behind her home. As we checked that place, she came running out and said, “They just showed that fellow’s picture on television. He has this room right here. I think he goes by the name Lee.”

If I remember correctly, it was Mr Johnson that was watching the television coverage and saw LHO’s picture for the first time. So, if it can be determined what time his picture was first broadcast on each network (like the times his name was first broadcast), then this would be a clue.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2019, 01:11:31 PM »

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2019, 01:32:01 PM »

Here are some additional words from Cunningham in the interview by Larry Sneed:

The North Beckley address was located near the intersection of Zang and Beckley in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas. It was a fine home, probably 4,500 square feet with a huge living room and kind of a passageway which adjoined a dining room. This lady had several roomers. In fact, when we went in and asked her if she had a guy by the name of Lee Harvey Oswald rooming there, she told us, no. After we began describing him, she said, “Well, there’s a young man and his wife who live out there,” referring to a little house out behind her home. As we checked that place, she came running out and said, “They just showed that fellow’s picture on television. He has this room right here. I think he goes by the name Lee.”

If I remember correctly, it was Mr Johnson that was watching the television coverage and saw LHO’s picture for the first time. So, if it can be determined what time his picture was first broadcast on each network (like the times his name was first broadcast), then this would be a clue.

I was watching NBC and I think it was around 3pm the first photo of him entering the station was shown. I could be wrong. Maybe it was the Dallas coverage.