Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Gus Rose  (Read 18477 times)

Offline Tom Scully

Re: Gus Rose
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 02:41:50 AM »
Advertisement
Here’s a quote from Gus Rose that is the introduction of his interview in “No More Silence” by Larry Sneed. This speaks volumes to me. ....

Because you quoted Bugliosi. I believe that time is wrong. If it is correct the various commentaries on Marina'a reaction becomes doubtful. The timing fits better with 2.30 or so, no extended wait for Sherrif's to arrive. The question then becomes, why would all three detectives be associated with that incorrect time of event.

Okay, here is what Gus says in the interview:
He didn’t mention a delay. I hope that helps.
Primary sources, folks. "The interview" took place long after the fact, to assist a for profit project. Sensation sells...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:57:04 AM by Tom Scully »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 02:41:50 AM »

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 03:26:18 AM »
Primary sources, folks. "The interview" took place long after the fact, to assist a for profit project. Sensation sells...

I assumed people know how to find primary sources Tom. It is the 40-minute wait I am questioning. Without it, Oswald's name had not likely been heard before they arrived at the door and I can believe the emotional response from Marina without it, I do not believe the responses or testimonies of either woman or Michael. I am questioning the "need" for that 40-minute gap to be inserted for them to listen to "The Girl from Iponema".
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 04:39:15 AM by Colin Crow »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 12:01:28 PM »
Primary sources, folks. "The interview" took place long after the fact, to assist a for profit project. Sensation sells

to assist a for profit project

No, the project was not initially intended to be published. Here are some words by the author from the introduction and acknowledgements sections:

I had noticed that the majority of research had been based either on previous research or on theories formulated by the authors and that a minority of the books utilized personal interviews of those who were closely intertwined with the events of that weekend. Furthermore, in the books that did contain references to interviews, were the participants quoted accurately or were their words contorted to fit some author’s preconceived theory? It was at that point, that I decided to try to locate some of those participants and learn for myself what they might have to say.

...I was intrigued by who these “players of the game” were and sought to learn more about their backgrounds, many of whom, especially among the law enforcement personnel, were portrayed in numerous books and manuscripts as being either sinister or shadowy figures. I wanted to judge for myself the credibility of those primary sources without having to rely on the subjective opinions of others which permeated much of the material on the assassination.

...After planning my first trip to Dallas, a fellow teacher encouraged me to borrow his video camera to tape the interviews. Realizing the importance of preparation, I also brought an audio cassette recorder as a backup sound system to the camera, a 35mm camera for still shots, and reference books to have signed by those I encountered. For the interviews themselves, a question-answer format was prepared which was designed to elicit responses regarding their backgrounds prior to the assassination, the chronology of events of their activities during the weekend of November 22–24, 1963, their views regarding conspiracy theories, and what had transpired in their lives since the assassination.

...When I first began this project, I had no ax to grind or theory to promote. I was willing to talk with anyone who was receptive toward being interviewed. Not only did I want to personally record their stories, but it was hoped that certain “problem areas” of the assassination highlighted by conspiracy writers could be clarified or resolved. Many of these issues were presented to those interviewed, especially to the Dallas policemen, of whom much criticism has been leveled over the years. Not surprisingly I found that those least interested in the assassination were those same Dallas policemen. Being the butt of sarcasm and ridicule, some were reluctant to talk, reasoning that whatever they might say would be twisted or altered to fit some writer’s theory of conspiracy. In short, they were tired of having their words turned around and comments being taken out of context. Fortunately, that first year the interviews I had with former Dallas policemen James Leavelle, Paul Bentley, L.C. Graves, and Elmo Cunningham went extremely well and paved the way for future interviews with other policemen, several of whom had not been interviewed either by the Warren Commission or other researchers. They had stories to tell but for various reasons had either not been contacted or were unwilling to be interviewed prior to 1987. I was particularly interested in talking with the Dallas policemen since they had generally either been ignored by assassination writers or because they were extremely selective with whom they talked. As I was to learn, this reluctance to defend themselves has made many of them easy targets for accusations, innuendoes, and in some cases outright libel. When they were convinced that I was sincere and had no hidden agenda were they willing to speak with me. Surprisingly, very few expressed serious concern about speaking on camera, though a few were reluctant to have their words published, apparently not wanting to become involved in all the controversy that it might entail with most of the assassination writers who, in their opinions, are concerned with little other than self-aggrandizement and the profit motive. They did not want their names associated with “mystery writers.”
I originally did not intent to write a book. Instead, I merely was interested in making a series of video taped interviews which I could use in my classroom. When I reviewed the tapes after the first trip, I was sufficiently impressed with the quality of the interviews to justify another trip. And thus the process of preparation repeated itself the following summer. Interestingly, though, I did not realize the full measure of quality of the tapes until I began to transcribe them and to see the interview in printed form. It then became apparent that what I had were insights into the events that I had not seen previously published and were of such significance that I entertained the idea of writing a book myself. However, I did not want it to be another work based on personal opinions or theories as were so many of the previously published books. Instead, I decided to let the subject of the interview speak for himself or herself and allow the reader to evaluate for themselves the merit of each story and its significance to the assassination. In short, it would be an oral history of the John F. Kennedy assassination. Amazingly, no one else had attempted or at least completed such a project.

...Throughout the ten-year sojourn to and from Dallas, the foremost concern of most of those interviewed was that their stories be reported accurately and unaltered. It is with a sense of appreciation, obligation, and responsibility that I have attempted to achieve those wishes. LARRY A. SNEED

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 12:01:28 PM »

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 02:40:39 PM »
Okay, here is what Gus says in the interview:

“Immediately after that, Captain Fritz gave me an address where Oswald’s wife supposedly was. That’s all he gave me. So I left the witness sitting and my notes on my desk and got Officers Adamcik and Stovall to go with me to that address which was located in Irving. We also took two deputy sheriffs with us since the address was outside the city of Dallas and, as was customary with me, parked our cars a little beyond the house down the street.”

He didn’t mention a delay. I hope that helps.

Hopefully you can see the difference between the book quote and the original statement. Bugliosi likely used the report. I contend that the 3.30pm time for greeting Marina is dubious.

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »
Thanks Steve
Sure, you're welcome.

It raises an obvious (to me) question: Why would there be a empty blanket shaped like that with the ends tied together? It's just an empty blanket. Why not fold it and just put it somewhere? Like this (photo of the actual blanket):

It's clear to me that somebody went through the motions of making it look like something was still inside the blanket. They "shaped" it to appear that way and they re-tied the empty ends of it.

Why? For what purpose? And who had "access" to this to do so? If there wasn't a rifle in it then what's an alternate explanation for the blanket being "shaped" and tied to make it appear something was still in it. Again, why?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:28:32 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »

Is there a reason you did not include page 3?

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »
Hopefully you can see the difference between the book quote and the original statement. Bugliosi likely used the report. I contend that the 3.30pm time for greeting Marina is dubious.

Yes, I see the difference. For what it is worth, I found the following at this web page: https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKpaine.htm

According to fellow worker, Dave Noel, Michael Paine discussed the "character of assassins" a few hours before President John F. Kennedy was killed. He also returned to his home in Irving at 3.00 p.m. to find Dallas police officers searching the premises. He told the police: "As soon as I found out about it, I hurried over to see if I could help."

It isn't clear to me whether he is referring to the time Michael Paine left work, or the time he arrived at his home. My guess is that he left work at 3:00. How would a coworker know what time he arrived at home?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »

Offline Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 09:05:01 PM »
Camping equipment.
What evidence is there that the Oswald's owned any actual camping equipment? Yes, I am aware that Michael Paine said that at first he thought it might be some sort of camping equipment. Is there any evidence whatsoever that they ever went camping? Lee Oswald lived for long stretches of time on unemployment checks. He had no car, no savings, no phone, no house. Yet he had camping equipment for what purpose?

Second, why would it be necessary to arrange the blanket to make it look like it was camping equipment? If there was a camping/tent pole in the blanket, why remove that pole and then make the blanket appear to look like the pole was still in it?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:14:18 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »