Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Tippit Shooting, 1:15  (Read 84285 times)

Online Martin Weidmann

Re: Tippit Shooting, 1:15
« Reply #416 on: November 15, 2019, 11:04:30 AM »
Advertisement
Here's my timeline: Oswald leaves rooming house shortly after 1.00pm
Mrs.Markham sees Oswald shoot officer Tippit at approx 1.09PM...(she doesn't know exact time) positively identified by Markham and 4 other witnesses.
Oswald flees the scene...spotted and identified by several witnesses
TF Bowley arrives at approx 1.10/1.11...assesses situation as best he could and then uses Officer Tippit radio to call in.

The big problem with this scenario appears to be the time it takes to get from the rooming house to the scene of the Tippit murder. Another problem is nobody involved in this episode seems to be clear on the timing. But the fact remains that Oswald was identified as the gunman. Some of the I'd's are a bit sketchy but others are much more believable.

The big problem with this scenario appears to be the time it takes to get from the rooming house to the scene of the Tippit murder.

Indeed. Gary Mack did a time trial once and found that it would take a minimum of 11 minutes to walk the fastest route. So, even if Markham saw Tippit being killed at 1:09, it would mean that Oswald must have been there at least two minutes earlier, as he was seen walking, being stopped by Tippit and talking to him through the passenger window prior to the shooting. If we accept that Earlene Roberts said that Oswald walked into the roominghouse as she was switching the television on to watch the 1 o'clock news and if we assume that he left again two minutes later, we end up with a timeframe of 1:02 to 1:07 for Oswald to walk the distance between the roominghouse and 10th/Patton, which is a physical impossibility.

Another problem is nobody involved in this episode seems to be clear on the timing.

That's not completely true. Earlene Roberts saw Oswald walk in just prior to the 1:00 news. Markham said she left home just after 1 pm, to catch her regular bus, and it could have been 1:06 or 1:07 when she got to the location of the shooting. Bowley said he arrived at 1:10, at which time Tippit had already been shot. The combined evidence of Markham and Bowley, as well as Tippit being declared DOA at Methodist Hospital at 1:15, witnessed and confirmed by Detective Davenport, gives a fair and good indication of the actual time line. The mere fact that other witnesses made assumptions about the time doesn't alter that fact.

You may not realize it but you actually provided confirmation of the timing in your own post.

Bowley arrived after Tippit had been shot. He looked at his watch and it said 1:10. By the time he got there Benavides was already trying to get the police radio to work and the killer had left the scene. We know from Benavides that he did not get out of his truck until the killer had disappeared behind the house on the corner of 10th and Patton. So, working backwards from Bowley's arrival time, Tippit must have been shot at least two minutes earlier, which computes exactly with what Markham said in her testimony.

But the fact remains that Oswald was identified as the gunman. Some of the I'd's are a bit sketchy but others are much more believable.

Witnesses can be wrong and often are. In fact, witness testimony is the least reliable kind of evidence. Witnesses can be manipulated or unduly influenced. A police investigation is - or should be - all about the elimination of suspects and if it can be established that a particular individual couldn't have been at the crime scene at the time of the murder, that person is eliminated as a suspect.

The argument that even if he didn't have the time to get there, Oswald was there anyway because witnesses said so is simply not sound.

Btw, on November 3rd I replied to your post and since you seem to have ignored that, here is my post again;

You do not know the exact time that Oswald starts his journey.You do not know at what speed Oswald was travelling at. Therefore you cannot make any statements that in any way say Oswald couldn't be at the crime scene in the timeframe. Markham could be at her position at about 1-06  to catch the 1.12 bus. And Oswald could've been at the crime scene at 1-08 or slightly later. Numerous witnesses I'd Oswald as being at the scene. You can't say he wasn't there. You can only guess as you do not know how long it took Oswald to travel to the crime scene. And how can I discuss the timeline as you do not know at what speed Oswald was travelling at.

I say he did have time to get from his rooming house to get to the crime scene. And nobody can prove he didn't have time.

So, all you are really interested in is keeping Oswald inside the timeframe, regardless of facts or reason?

You do not know the exact time that Oswald starts his journey.You do not know at what speed Oswald was travelling at.

True, but I think I can safely say that it wasn't at super sonic speed or the speed of sound, just in case you ever want to go there.

Therefore you cannot make any statements that in any way say Oswald couldn't be at the crime scene in the timeframe.

Get your fact straight. I did not say that Oswald couldn't be there. I actually said; "which makes it nearly impossible for Oswald to have been there". There is a difference!

But I'll answer your misguided comment anyway, with some facts (you know what they are, right?). The actual distance between the two locations requires a certain minimal amount of walking time at a normal human walking pace. Gary Mack once did a trial (it's on Youtube), and concluded that the fastest route required a minimum of 11 minutes. So, if Tippit, as the combined timeline in my previous post suggests, was indeed killed before 1.10, Oswald would have had to have left the roominghouse at the latest, at around 12:58, which is - if Earlene Roberts is to be believed - impossible as she said Oswald walked in just before the 1 o'clock news came on the television. So, yeah, even if I didn't, I could indeed make that statement. You may not like it, but there it is, nevertheless!

Markham could be at her position at about 1-06  to catch the 1.12 bus.

Indeed, and that's exactly what my argument is, except she said she normally catched the bus at 1.15. But go from there and everything else in the timeline I provided falls into place. Once we agree that Tippit was most likely killed before 1:10 we can start discussing who could have been there at that time or not!

And Oswald could've been at the crime scene at 1-08 or slightly later.

With a minimal walking time of 11 minutes and not leaving the roominghouse until after the 1 o'clock news came on? No, he couldn't!

But that's just my opinion. Why don't you provide your argument that shows that Oswald could have been at 10th/Patton at 1.08 or slightly later? Can you do that?

Numerous witnesses I'd Oswald as being at the scene.

At an unfair biased line up and under massive police pressure and media exposure? Any law enforcement officer will tell you that witness testimony is the least reliable type of evidence. And very often witness testimony is proven wrong when it is established that a suspect could not have been at the crime scene at the time of the crime. The circular argument of "Oswald was there because Oswald was there" doesn't fly. It's not a logical fallacy for nothing!

None of the Tippit witnesses have ever been cross-examined under oath. Had they have been, they would IMO have been completely destroyed by a competent defense lawyer. Yet, you are so fair and balanced  ;) that you take their words as gospel. Why is that?

Can't you stand the idea of possibly being wrong? Mark Twain once said; "It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled". Does that perhaps apply to you as well?

You can't say he wasn't there.

I didn't say he wasn't (although I do indeed believe it is likely that he wasn't). I said it's nearly impossible for him to be have been there if Tippit was indeed killed before 1:10.

You can only guess as you do not know how long it took Oswald to travel to the crime scene.

No guess work needed as (1) Gary Mack's time trial showed a minimum of 11 minutes required and (2) I walked the distance myself several times. No matter how much you argue, you will never convince me that Oswald could have walked the distance in under 11 minutes!

And how can I discuss the timeline as you do not know at what speed Oswald was travelling at.

The timeline I provided in my previous post has actually very little to do with Oswald. It has to do with the most likely time Tippit was actually killed, which you have not addressed at all. All you seem to be concerned with is getting Oswald at the scene on time to be there to do the deed. What's next; are you going to argue he flew there?

I say he did have time to get from his rooming house to get to the crime scene. And nobody can prove he didn't have time.

So, this is the the classic "I'm right unless you can prove me wrong" LN fallacy again, is it? If you are so sure Oswald did in fact have the time to get from the rooming house to the crime scene, why don't you just shut me up by providing a plausible argument to support your position?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:14:46 AM by Martin Weidmann »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #416 on: November 15, 2019, 11:04:30 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #417 on: November 15, 2019, 03:03:12 PM »
The big problem with this scenario appears to be the time it takes to get from the rooming house to the scene of the Tippit murder.

Indeed. Gary Mack did a time trial once and found that it would take a minimum of 11 minutes to walk the fastest route. So, even if Markham saw Tippit being killed at 1:09, it would mean that Oswald must have been there at least two minutes earlier, as he was seen walking, being stopped by Tippit and talking to him through the passenger window prior to the shooting. If we accept that Earlene Roberts said that Oswald walked into the roominghouse as she was switching the television on to watch the 1 o'clock news and if we assume that he left again two minutes later, we end up with a timeframe of 1:02 to 1:07 for Oswald to walk the distance between the roominghouse and 10th/Patton, which is a physical impossibility.

Another problem is nobody involved in this episode seems to be clear on the timing.

That's not completely true. Earlene Roberts saw Oswald walk in just prior to the 1:00 news. Markham said she left home just after 1 pm, to catch her regular bus, and it could have been 1:06 or 1:07 when she got to the location of the shooting. Bowley said he arrived at 1:10, at which time Tippit had already been shot. The combined evidence of Markham and Bowley, as well as Tippit being declared DOA at Methodist Hospital at 1:15, witnessed and confirmed by Detective Davenport, gives a fair and good indication of the actual time line. The mere fact that other witnesses made assumptions about the time doesn't alter that fact.

You may not realize it but you actually provided confirmation of the timing in your own post.

Bowley arrived after Tippit had been shot. He looked at his watch and it said 1:10. By the time he got there Benavides was already trying to get the police radio to work and the killer had left the scene. We know from Benavides that he did not get out of his truck until the killer had disappeared behind the house on the corner of 10th and Patton. So, working backwards from Bowley's arrival time, Tippit must have been shot at least two minutes earlier, which computes exactly with what Markham said in her testimony.

But the fact remains that Oswald was identified as the gunman. Some of the I'd's are a bit sketchy but others are much more believable.

Witnesses can be wrong and often are. In fact, witness testimony is the least reliable kind of evidence. Witnesses can be manipulated or unduly influenced. A police investigation is - or should be - all about the elimination of suspects and if it can be established that a particular individual couldn't have been at the crime scene at the time of the murder, that person is eliminated as a suspect.

The argument that even if he didn't have the time to get there, Oswald was there anyway because witnesses said so is simply not sound.

Btw, on November 3rd I replied to your post and since you seem to have ignored that, here is my post again;

So, all you are really interested in is keeping Oswald inside the timeframe, regardless of facts or reason?

You do not know the exact time that Oswald starts his journey.You do not know at what speed Oswald was travelling at.

True, but I think I can safely say that it wasn't at super sonic speed or the speed of sound, just in case you ever want to go there.

Therefore you cannot make any statements that in any way say Oswald couldn't be at the crime scene in the timeframe.

Get your fact straight. I did not say that Oswald couldn't be there. I actually said; "which makes it nearly impossible for Oswald to have been there". There is a difference!

But I'll answer your misguided comment anyway, with some facts (you know what they are, right?). The actual distance between the two locations requires a certain minimal amount of walking time at a normal human walking pace. Gary Mack once did a trial (it's on Youtube), and concluded that the fastest route required a minimum of 11 minutes. So, if Tippit, as the combined timeline in my previous post suggests, was indeed killed before 1.10, Oswald would have had to have left the roominghouse at the latest, at around 12:58, which is - if Earlene Roberts is to be believed - impossible as she said Oswald walked in just before the 1 o'clock news came on the television. So, yeah, even if I didn't, I could indeed make that statement. You may not like it, but there it is, nevertheless!

Markham could be at her position at about 1-06  to catch the 1.12 bus.

Indeed, and that's exactly what my argument is, except she said she normally catched the bus at 1.15. But go from there and everything else in the timeline I provided falls into place. Once we agree that Tippit was most likely killed before 1:10 we can start discussing who could have been there at that time or not!

And Oswald could've been at the crime scene at 1-08 or slightly later.

With a minimal walking time of 11 minutes and not leaving the roominghouse until after the 1 o'clock news came on? No, he couldn't!

But that's just my opinion. Why don't you provide your argument that shows that Oswald could have been at 10th/Patton at 1.08 or slightly later? Can you do that?

Numerous witnesses I'd Oswald as being at the scene.

At an unfair biased line up and under massive police pressure and media exposure? Any law enforcement officer will tell you that witness testimony is the least reliable type of evidence. And very often witness testimony is proven wrong when it is established that a suspect could not have been at the crime scene at the time of the crime. The circular argument of "Oswald was there because Oswald was there" doesn't fly. It's not a logical fallacy for nothing!

None of the Tippit witnesses have ever been cross-examined under oath. Had they have been, they would IMO have been completely destroyed by a competent defense lawyer. Yet, you are so fair and balanced  ;) that you take their words as gospel. Why is that?

Can't you stand the idea of possibly being wrong? Mark Twain once said; "It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled". Does that perhaps apply to you as well?

You can't say he wasn't there.

I didn't say he wasn't (although I do indeed believe it is likely that he wasn't). I said it's nearly impossible for him to be have been there if Tippit was indeed killed before 1:10.

You can only guess as you do not know how long it took Oswald to travel to the crime scene.

No guess work needed as (1) Gary Mack's time trial showed a minimum of 11 minutes required and (2) I walked the distance myself several times. No matter how much you argue, you will never convince me that Oswald could have walked the distance in under 11 minutes!

And how can I discuss the timeline as you do not know at what speed Oswald was travelling at.

The timeline I provided in my previous post has actually very little to do with Oswald. It has to do with the most likely time Tippit was actually killed, which you have not addressed at all. All you seem to be concerned with is getting Oswald at the scene on time to be there to do the deed. What's next; are you going to argue he flew there?

So, this is the the classic "I'm right unless you can prove me wrong" LN fallacy again, is it? If you are so sure Oswald did in fact have the time to get from the rooming house to the crime scene, why don't you just shut me up by providing a plausible argument to support your position?

I think it's important to point out that there is more time elapsed than the mere time it takes to walk from the rooming house to the murder scene.    Mrs Markham said that the man who shot Tippit was walking EAST on 10th and was WEST of the intersection of 10th  & Patton, and the murder scene when she first saw Tippit tailing the man.....THEN she said that the man talked to Tippit through the patrol car window for a couple of minutes prior to Tippit getting out of the car......   

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #418 on: November 15, 2019, 03:36:17 PM »

I think it's important to point out that there is more time elapsed than the mere time it takes to walk from the rooming house to the murder scene.    Mrs Markham said that the man who shot Tippit was walking EAST on 10th and was WEST of the intersection of 10th  & Patton, and the murder scene when she first saw Tippit tailing the man.....THEN she said that the man talked to Tippit through the patrol car window for a couple of minutes prior to Tippit getting out of the car......   

Walt,

I discussed this matter at the beginning of my post

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #418 on: November 15, 2019, 03:36:17 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #419 on: November 15, 2019, 04:22:23 PM »
Walt,

I discussed this matter at the beginning of my post

The point was intended for Mr Hardaker .....  and anybody else who doesn't realize that there would have been more time involved than the mere time of walking from the roominghouse to the murder scene......   If it takes 11 minutes ( I walked it in 12 minutes) to cover the distance, then additional time needs to be added to allow the walk PAST the intersection , and then double back, and then the conversation through the car window.....

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #420 on: November 15, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »
The point was intended for Mr Hardaker .....  and anybody else who doesn't realize that there would have been more time involved than the mere time of walking from the roominghouse to the murder scene......   If it takes 11 minutes ( I walked it in 12 minutes) to cover the distance, then additional time needs to be added to allow the walk PAST the intersection , and then double back, and then the conversation through the car window.....

Agreed  Thumb1:

The official time line has Tippit being killed at 1.14 or 1.15, but even that would be a very tight squeeze indeed when one figures in the additional time that passed prior to the shooting.

Obviously, Bowley wasn't ignored by WC for nothing!

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #420 on: November 15, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #421 on: November 15, 2019, 06:59:04 PM »
No one can say that Oswald didn't combine walking, sprinting, jogging, or trotting
Bottom line is that Oswald was Johnny-on-the-spot

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #422 on: November 15, 2019, 07:10:24 PM »
No one can say that Oswald didn't combine walking, sprinting, jogging, or trotting
Bottom line is that Oswald was Johnny-on-the-spot

You've been thoroughly brain washed......  On the second thought....One can't wash something they don't have....

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #422 on: November 15, 2019, 07:10:24 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #423 on: November 16, 2019, 05:39:21 PM »
You've been thoroughly brain washed......  On the second thought....One can't wash something they don't have....

Just as I thought... you sorry lot can't claim Oswald didn't jog, trot, sprint at times.
There goes your absolute dependence on witness time estimations and your own manipulation of same.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 05:42:12 PM by Bill Chapman »