Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Are we in the final decade?  (Read 2192 times)

Online Steve M. Galbraith

Re: Are we in the final decade?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 10:16:07 PM »
Advertisement
I think these conferences will fade away. There is a precedence for it. In the nineteen century, the majority, or at least a very large fraction of the population, thought that the U. S. Government was involved somehow, in the assassination of President Lincoln. Just as 20th century CTers typically put the blame on Vice President Lyndon Johnson, CTers of the 19th century typically put the blame on Secretary of War Edwin Stanton. Edwin Stanton was almost certainly not guilty of being part of a conspiracy to kill President Lincoln, but was arguably the greatest Secretary of War this nation has ever had, working long hours each day, to guide the Union war effort to a close-run victory in the Civil War.
Joe: That's an astute comment about Stanton - and not just because I largely agree with it but that helped <g>. Prior to the war, the war department was an absolute mess, filled with career opportunists and political hacks. Stanton had to essentially build the entire department.

But as to the "close-run victory." There was no chance, as I see it, that the South could have won; the enormous advantage militarily for the North, e.g., troops, industrial output, can not be overstated. The only possibility was to drag the war out and try to use the divisions in the North to get some sort of peace agreement (perhaps the Japanese and WWII is a good analogy). But that wasn't going to happen under Lincoln.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 10:16:07 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 02:59:09 AM »
Joe: That's an astute comment about Stanton - and not just because I largely agree with it but that helped <g>. Prior to the war, the war department was an absolute mess, filled with career opportunists and political hacks. Stanton had to essentially build the entire department.

But as to the "close-run victory." There was no chance, as I see it, that the South could have won; the enormous advantage militarily for the North, e.g., troops, industrial output, can not be overstated. The only possibility was to drag the war out and try to use the divisions in the North to get some sort of peace agreement (perhaps the Japanese and WWII is a good analogy). But that wasn't going to happen under Lincoln.

"that wasn't going to happen under Lincoln."

And JFK's policy of integration and equality for Afro-Americans was not going to be rescinded while a Kennedy was in the White House ....and that was a thorn in the side of men like H.L. Hunt and J.E Hoover.   JFK had to go......

Offline Gerry Down

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 11:06:45 PM »

"that wasn't going to happen under Lincoln."

And JFK's policy of integration and equality for Afro-Americans was not going to be rescinded while a Kennedy was in the White House ....and that was a thorn in the side of men like H.L. Hunt and J.E Hoover.   JFK had to go......

Actually, the Kennedys secretly disliked the blacks:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 11:06:45 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 11:59:29 PM »
Actually, the Kennedys secretly disliked the blacks:

There's nothing in this video that says they "disliked the blacks".

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 12:24:44 AM »
There's nothing in this video that says they "disliked the blacks".

JFK and Jackie did not dislike Afro Americans.... JFK spotted Abraham Bolden in a Secret Service detail in Chicago and promoted him and moved him from Chicago to the White House detail.

I don't believe that JFK disliked any faction....   

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 12:24:44 AM »

Offline Joffrey van de Wiel

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 01:42:20 PM »
The short answers are (IMO); I seriously doubt it and agreed.

The younger generations live in a different world and have different interests. The majority of the younger generations couldn't care less what happened in the past. To be honest, when I was younger I was hardly any better.... only as I grew older I began taking an interest in the events of the past.

But, I think, there will always be some people who do take an interest.

The younger generations lack the ability to concentrate on the same issue for more than 5 minutes, are self-obsessed, always fumbling with phones, are fixated on instant gratification and adhere to individualism in stead of a sense for community.

So no, I don't see the young step into the shoes of the Weisberg-Lane Meagher generation. It is a sad state of affairs but it is what it is.

I watched a few of these conferences on YouTube. The speakers were interesting. Dr. Gary Aguilar, G. Robert Blakey, Eddie Lopez and Dan Hardway, etc. What surprised me were the attendees, they looked scruffy, unkempt, dressed in jeans and T-shirts and appeared to have spent the night in a ditch. However in the Q & A sessions they asked very sharp questions and from memory could recite entire documents. Not one of them was messing with a phone or making selfies with prof Blakey. Most of them appeared to be 50-ish so we're good to go for the next 20 years.

A friend of mine went to one of these meetings. First trip to the United States, as the conference was held in Dallas. Told me that Dealey Plaza is in fact quite small, and that it had changed compared to the Zapruder film. One thing he learned was: do NOT call a Negro teenager a boy, even if you are thrice his age. Ordering even a 'small' coffee at breakfast will get you enough to make it to lunchtime, same goes for steaks or salads. Everything is BIG. Including the people, obesity seems to rampage. I wish I would be able to attend one of these conferences, but I have a fear of flying so it regrettably will likely never happen.