Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Why the first shot missed  (Read 35965 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: Why the first shot missed
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2023, 01:43:52 AM »
Advertisement
Interesting.

Though from that porch, which is recessed back off the house, I'm not sure how long he'd be able to track each car as it passed in the street.

It would make an interesting experiment to see how many seconds would he have to track each car before his view of each car became obstructed by the corners of the houses to his left and right on his side of the street.

I'd imagine cars would be traveling slow enough on that street.

Yes, the field of view was limited and the speed of the cars would be varied. So the available time to track the cars would be varied also. I think that this would be a challenge that LHO would like. It would be similar to the challenge of skeet or trap shooting. Testing and practicing of LHO’s very fast reflexes (described by Robert Oswald) comes to mind for this challenge. He would have to react quickly to acquire the moving target in his sights and pull the trigger (dry firing) before the car left the field of view. I don’t see how he could have anticipated that this practice would come in handy on 11/22/63. But it sure seems to me that it did.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2023, 01:43:52 AM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2023, 05:12:05 AM »
From page 1004 (of my Kindle version) of “Reclaiming History” by Vincent Bugliosi:

One evening at the end of August Marina returned from a twilight stroll with June and found Lee on their screened-in side porch, kneeling on one knee, aiming his rifle into the street and working the bolt—dry firing. 1365.

Footnote 1365. ​1 H 21–22, WCT Marina N. Oswald; McMillan, Marina and Lee, pp.451–452; CE 1154, 22 H 190.

This is why you should always check primary sources. 22H190 says nothing about Oswald doing this. And Marina’s testimony says nothing about dry firing.

Mrs. OSWALD. No. I know for sure that he didn't. But I know that we had a kind of a porch with a---screened-in porch, and I know that sometimes evenings after dark he would sit there with his rifle. I don't know what he did with it. I came there by chance once and saw him just sitting there with his rifle. I thought he is merely sitting there and resting. Of course I didn't like these kind of little jokes.
. . .
Mr. RANKIN. You have described your husband's practicing on the hack porch at New Orleans with the telescopic scope and the rifle, saying he did that very regularly there.
Did you ever see him working the bolt, that action that opens the rifle, where you can put a shell in and push it back- during those times?
Mrs. OSWALD. I did not see it, because it was dark, and I would be in the room at that time.
But I did hear the noise from it from time to time not often.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2023, 11:13:01 AM »
This is why you should always check primary sources. 22H190 says nothing about Oswald doing this. And Marina’s testimony says nothing about dry firing.

Mrs. OSWALD. No. I know for sure that he didn't. But I know that we had a kind of a porch with a---screened-in porch, and I know that sometimes evenings after dark he would sit there with his rifle. I don't know what he did with it. I came there by chance once and saw him just sitting there with his rifle. I thought he is merely sitting there and resting. Of course I didn't like these kind of little jokes.
. . .
Mr. RANKIN. You have described your husband's practicing on the hack porch at New Orleans with the telescopic scope and the rifle, saying he did that very regularly there.
Did you ever see him working the bolt, that action that opens the rifle, where you can put a shell in and push it back- during those times?
Mrs. OSWALD. I did not see it, because it was dark, and I would be in the room at that time.
But I did hear the noise from it from time to time not often.

You should always check the primary claim. My statement says nothing about Marina testifying to this. And, you very conveniently left out Bugliosi’s other listed source (“Marina and Lee”) indicated in his footnote.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2023, 11:13:01 AM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2023, 02:20:09 PM »

You should always check the primary claim. My statement says nothing about Marina testifying to this. And, you very conveniently left out Bugliosi’s other listed source (“Marina and Lee”) indicated in his footnote.

It’s Bugliosi’s claim, and he cited Marina’s testimony. And no, “Marina and Lee” says nothing about dry firing either.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2023, 02:40:31 PM »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2023, 02:40:31 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2023, 03:20:47 PM »
It’s Bugliosi’s claim, and he cited Marina’s testimony. And no, “Marina and Lee” says nothing about dry firing either.

It doesn’t matter who’s claim it is. My claim only says that LHO reportedly did this. If you don’t like that Bugliosi reported it. That’s your freaking problem.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2023, 03:47:14 PM »
It doesn’t matter who’s claim it is. My claim only says that LHO reportedly did this. If you don’t like that Bugliosi reported it. That’s your freaking problem.

Your problem is believing (and passing on) a fabricated claim from Bugliosi.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2023, 03:47:14 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2023, 04:37:57 PM »
Your problem is believing (and passing on) a fabricated claim from Bugliosi.

If you want to dispute Bugliosi, that is fine. But you can do it without insinuating that I said something that I didn’t.