Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Frazier's rifle length estimate.  (Read 13935 times)

Offline Thomas Graves

Re: Frazier's rifle length estimate.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 09:23:00 PM »
Advertisement

Frazier might have assumed he was being asked about the broken-down length of a M-14.

-- MWT  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 12:17:30 AM by Thomas Graves »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 09:23:00 PM »

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 01:40:19 AM »
30 some inches......is that the same as 30”? Maybe 30 some inches is 39"? Then only 5” or a 10% error. Also his sister agreed with him. Just offering the counter arguments Denis, nothing more. As I said this will never be satisfactorily resolved.

I suspect the curtain rod story was created after Frazier arrived home after the shooting.

Hahaha, who estimates the length of an object that they think is an inch away from 40 inches as being 30 inches plus some odd inches?

JohnM
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 01:44:00 AM by John Mytton »

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 01:53:32 AM »
Hahaha, who estimates the length of an object that they think is an inch away from 40 inches as being 30 inches plus some odd inches?

JohnM

I don’t know......is some odd =0? That is what was proposed. How many is "some odd" John?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 01:53:32 AM »

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 03:05:52 AM »
I don’t know......is some odd =0? That is what was proposed. How many is "some odd" John?

Let me use an analogy, say a microwave is $390 would anyone describe the price as 300 some odd dollars? Personally I would describe a $310 microwave as 300 some odd dollars and a $390 microwave as about $400?
And as for what is an odd amount, it's obviously not an odd number as in 1, 3,5, 7... but he's representing an amount and within context it's like describing there's a crowd of people and there is the odd one or two that stand out, Frazier's meaning is beyond obvious.

I can't speak for Denis but his maths implies that some odd was actually =0.3, which fits the above criteria of an odd amount.

Btw I'm currently doing a stack of research while looking for a microwave so I know what I'm talking about!

JohnM
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:06:45 AM by John Mytton »

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 03:23:23 AM »
Let me use an analogy, say a microwave is $390 would anyone describe the price as 300 some odd dollars? Personally I would describe a $310 microwave as 300 some odd dollars and a $390 microwave as about $400?
And as for what is an odd amount, it's obviously not an odd number as in 1, 3,5, 7... but he's representing an amount and within context it's like describing there's a crowd of people and there is the odd one or two that stand out, Frazier's meaning is beyond obvious.

I can't speak for Denis but his maths implies that some odd was actually =0.3, which fits the above criteria of an odd amount.

Btw I'm currently doing a stack of research while looking for a microwave so I know what I'm talking about!

JohnM

I might argue that your analogy is misleading due to the scale factor. Something in the hundreds vs something in the tens may not be the same. But as I said before, this is an unresolvable argument. Lots of assumptions on both sides. In this case the assumption is that Frazier consistently under estimates length......so does his sister, apparently a heritable trait :)

PS.....I know the earliest report has her estimate as 36” or so......round and round we go.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 03:23:23 AM »

Offline Jorn Frending

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 05:17:38 AM »
I've broken down a rifle many times and witnessed others doing it too. I remember it as a very distinct sound, easy to recognize, and different to the sound of metal curtain rods.

Inside the bag the gun parts would make a lot of noise even when kept together with a piece of string. It would take at least a towel to disguise the sound.

We have no evidence of a piece of string or a towel.

I find it strange that we have not seen many YouTube videos trying to reproduce the event. If you know of any I would like to see it.

When it comes down to interpret behaviour through psychology we may as well think that Frazier was reluctant to collaborate with the FBI in what they wanted him to say since this was in fact not what he saw. So he collaborated protesting in his own way.

In any case he would have recognized the sound of rattling gun parts.

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 07:55:36 AM »
I've broken down a rifle many times and witnessed others doing it too. I remember it as a very distinct sound, easy to recognize, and different to the sound of metal curtain rods.

Inside the bag the gun parts would make a lot of noise even when kept together with a piece of string. It would take at least a towel to disguise the sound.

We have no evidence of a piece of string or a towel.

I find it strange that we have not seen many YouTube videos trying to reproduce the event. If you know of any I would like to see it.

When it comes down to interpret behaviour through psychology we may as well think that Frazier was reluctant to collaborate with the FBI in what they wanted him to say since this was in fact not what he saw. So he collaborated protesting in his own way.

In any case he would have recognized the sound of rattling gun parts.

Not so fast:

1) Oswald, conveniently, places the bag in the car with Buell still inside the residence.
2) Oswald gets the bag out of the car—while Buell guns the engine—and walks a distance away.
3) Buell leaves the vehicle, and Oswald promptly marches off, alone, towards his destiny.
4) Buell holds up the quickly-widening rear, lagging behind while trainspotting.

Buell had no reason to listen for any damn sounds from the bag.
Oswald was obviously trying like hell to conceal the full size of the bag.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 07:55:36 AM »

Offline Jorn Frending

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 08:49:15 AM »
Not so fast:

1) Oswald, conveniently, places the bag in the car with Buell still inside the residence.
2) Oswald gets the bag out of the car—while Buell guns the engine—and walks a distance away.
3) Buell leaves the vehicle, and Oswald promptly marches off, alone, towards his destiny.
4) Buell holds up the quickly-widening rear, lagging behind while trainspotting.

Buell had no reason to listen for any damn sounds from the bag.
Oswald was obviously trying like hell to conceal the full size of the bag.

The fast and furious here is you  :)

In four small steps for a man you've shown that Frazier hardly saw the bag.

If so, the bag might as well be Oswald's lunch bag, a big step for mankind  :)

Besides, I was just making a point of adding something to the debate which is not often mentioned. Otherwise I never posted about this subject.

Apparently nobody saw Oswald bringing the bag (riffle?) to the six floor and nobody saw him coming down again after the shooting. So if it hadn't been for Frazier ...?

Oswald, however, must have had plenty of time since he created the most neatly folded assassination bag in history ...

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 12:28:39 PM by Jorn Frending »