Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Frazier's rifle length estimate.  (Read 14113 times)

Offline Denis Pointing

Frazier's rifle length estimate.
« on: June 21, 2019, 01:42:24 PM »
Advertisement
Many here place a lot of faith in Frazier's estimate of the length of the bag Oswald was alleged to have carried into the TSBD. So, just how good was Frazier at estimating measurements? Let's stick to rifles as an example. Frazier was in the army, he was issued with an M14, he would have cleaned, maintained and broken down that rifle many, many times. Almost slept with it. Testimony: Q: Mr. Frazier, have you been in the Armed Services of the United States?
A: Yes, sir, I have.
Q: What branch of the Service?
A: Army.
Q: Were you in the Infantry?
A: Yes, sir, I have had Infantry training.
Q: Did you have any rifle training?
A: Yes, sir, I did.
Q: During the course of that training did you ever have occasion to break a rifle down?
A: Yes, sir, quite frequently.
Q: What kind of rifle did you use in the Service?
A: An M14.
Q: Approximately how long was the M14 that you used?
A: I believe the correct length is 30 some odd inches long?
Q: 30 something inches long?
A: Yes.
Q: Did you ever break that rifle down?
A: Yes, sir, I broke it down many times.

Frazier's M14 rifle was 44.3in long! Nuff said.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 01:45:19 PM by Denis Pointing »

JFK Assassination Forum

Frazier's rifle length estimate.
« on: June 21, 2019, 01:42:24 PM »

Online Charles Collins

Re: Frazier's rifle length estimate.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 02:05:42 PM »
Many here place a lot of faith in Frazier's estimate of the length of the bag Oswald was alleged to have carried into the TSBD. So, just how good was Frazier at estimating measurements? Let's stick to rifles as an example. Frazier was in the army, he was issued with an M14, he would have cleaned, maintained and broken down that rifle many, many times. Almost slept with it. Testimony: Q: Mr. Frazier, have you been in the Armed Services of the United States?
A: Yes, sir, I have.
Q: What branch of the Service?
A: Army.
Q: Were you in the Infantry?
A: Yes, sir, I have had Infantry training.
Q: Did you have any rifle training?
A: Yes, sir, I did.
Q: During the course of that training did you ever have occasion to break a rifle down?
A: Yes, sir, quite frequently.
Q: What kind of rifle did you use in the Service?
A: An M14.
Q: Approximately how long was the M14 that you used?
A: I believe the correct length is 30 some odd inches long?
Q: 30 something inches long?
A: Yes.
Q: Did you ever break that rifle down?
A: Yes, sir, I broke it down many times.

Frazier's M14 rifle was 44.3in long! Nuff said.

Another factor that I believe comes into play is Frazier's animosity towards the police. He felt he was mistreated and resented it. So his denial that the package was as long as the bag they showed him could have been part of his way of not cooperating with them as retaliation. I once felt that kind of resentment as a young man in a traffic court situation and responded badly. Later my attorney straightened things out. ;D

Offline Denis Pointing

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 02:18:28 PM »
Another factor that I believe comes into play is Frazier's animosity towards the police. He felt he was mistreated and resented it. So his denial that the package was as long as the bag they showed him could have been part of his way of not cooperating with them as retaliation. I once felt that kind of resentment as a young man in a traffic court situation and responded badly. Later my attorney straightened things out. ;D

Yeah, it's quite possible but don't you think Frazier, involved in such a serious case, would have been too scared to play games like that? Personally, I certainly do.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 02:18:28 PM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 02:35:39 PM »
Yeah, it's quite possible but don't you think Frazier, involved in such a serious case, would have been too scared to play games like that? Personally, I certainly do.

His animosity still shows in the video interviews. I can relate to my own experiences when I was around the age he was back then. If I felt I wasn’t being treated fairly, I didn’t completely consider the consequences of my actions. I was going to let it be known that I felt that way. Call it immaturity or whatever. But it was part of being young and “full of piss and vinegar.”

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 05:04:57 PM »
Length of M14 stock is 33”.

This is an argument that will not resolve. Frazier had a couple of physical reference points to make his estimate. The way he claimed Oswald carried the package, palm to under armpit. Also his sighting in the back seat of the car, presumably over his right shoulder as he sits in the drivers seat. He claimed it did not extend to the half way point of the seat. Ie much shorter than 34”. Of course the counter arguments will include the statements that be he didn’t take particular notice at the time and it might have extended forward of Oswald’s body.

I would rather explore why Frazier erroneously claimed to be at the hospital visiting his step father for a only a short time before the Irving police detained him. In reality it was many hours after he left the TSBD. Would be interesting to hear the conversations between BWF and LMR that occurred in those hours.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 05:04:57 PM »

Offline Denis Pointing

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 05:28:41 PM »
Length of M14 stock is 33”.

This is an argument that will not resolve. Frazier had a couple of physical reference points to make his estimate. The way he claimed Oswald carried the package, palm to under armpit. Also his sighting in the back seat of the car, presumably over his right shoulder as he sits in the drivers seat. He claimed it did not extend to the half way point of the seat. Ie much shorter than 34”. Of course the counter arguments will include the statements that be he didn’t take particular notice at the time and it might have extended forward of Oswald’s body.

I would rather explore why Frazier erroneously claimed to be at the hospital visiting his step father for a only a short time before the Irving police detained him. In reality it was many hours after he left the TSBD. Would be interesting to hear the conversations between BWF and LMR that occurred in those hours.

Colin, the point I was making was that Frazier never had a clue when it came to estimating measurements. He was very familiar with that M14, he must have seen or handled it almost daily, yet he was off by over 14in!! C'mon Colin, it's a fair point.

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 08:24:47 PM »
Colin, the point I was making was that Frazier never had a clue when it came to estimating measurements. He was very familiar with that M14, he must have seen or handled it almost daily, yet he was off by over 14in!! C'mon Colin, it's a fair point.

30 some inches......is that the same as 30”? Maybe 30 some inches is 39"? Then only 5” or a 10% error. Also his sister agreed with him. Just offering the counter arguments Denis, nothing more. As I said this will never be satisfactorily resolved.

I suspect the curtain rod story was created after Frazier arrived home after the shooting.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 08:24:47 PM »

Offline Denis Pointing

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 08:31:39 PM »
30 some inches......is that the same as 30”? Maybe 30 some inches is 39"? Then only 5” or a 10% error. Also his sister agreed with him. Just offering the counter arguments Denis, nothing more. As I said this will never be satisfactorily resolved.

I suspect the curtain rod story was created after Frazier arrived home after the shooting.

That's absolutely fine Colin, no probs. It wouldn't be much of a forum if we all agreed.   Thumb1: