Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswald’s notes in his guidebook for marines  (Read 10114 times)

Online Charles Collins

Oswald’s notes in his guidebook for marines
« on: June 13, 2019, 03:31:22 PM »
Advertisement
This description, found in an old online auction, says:
Oswald has made notes and edits in pencil in "The M1 Rifle" chapter, the only handwritten notes in the book. On page 171, the first page of the chapter, the listing of "Average rate of aimed fire per minute" is "30 rounds." Oswald has crossed out "30" and written "16-24."

In trying to figure out why he would make that notation, I have the following suggestion based on my conjecture. The reduced rate is more in line with a bolt action rifle like Oswald’s Carcano. Marina has reportedly said that LHO practiced aiming and dry firing his rifle on the porch in New Orleans. Perhaps that rate is what he found he could do with the Carcano? Just a thought. What do you think?

Oswald's signed Guidebook for Marines with corrections by him in the "Rifle" chapter plus documents related to Oswald's 1963 arrest in New Orleans

(1) Lee Harvey Oswald Guidebook for Marines Signed "PVT. LEE H. OSWALD/NO. 1653230" in light pencil in block letters on title page, 476 pages, 6.5" x 8.25". Published by the Leatherneck Association, Inc. Washington, D.C. Fifth Revised Edition, First Printing, January 1, 1956. From the Preface: "This fifth revision of the original Guidebook For Marines is the result of a combined effort by Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps, Marine Corps Schools and Leatherneck Magazine..." Stamped in the upper margin on the title page, lightly on page 80, and on page 91, is "L H. OSWALD." Worn, heavily creased fabrikoid covers, copiously illustrated with photographs and diagrams. Torn spine with front cover and spine partially separated from the text. The first 90 pages, including the title page, are dog-eared in the lower right, decreasing in degree, page by page. The last 120 pages, 353-476, are dog-eared in the upper right, increasing in degree, page by page. Some other pages have tears at the corners or are dog-eared to a lesser extent. The "53" of Oswald's Service Serial Number has been effaced. Of special interest is Chapter15, "The M1 Rifle."

Oswald has made notes and edits in pencil in "The M1 Rifle" chapter, the only handwritten notes in the book. On page 171, the first page of the chapter, the listing of "Average rate of aimed fire per minute" is "30 rounds." Oswald has crossed out "30" and written "16-24." [The Warren Report concluded that "the three shots were fired in a time period ranging from approximately 4.8 to in excess of 7 seconds"]. On page 180, he's crossed out the word "Movement" in "Movement of the operating rod" replacing it with "action." On page 181, Oswald replaced "Action of the follower" with "(feeding)" and underlined the first word in "Termination of rearward movement." On page 189, the last page of the chapter, in the subchapter headed "Sight Setting," he has underlined the 15 words (here in quotes) explaining the elevating and windage knob clicks on the rifle, with each click representing "1 minute of angle or approximately 1 inch on the target for each 100 yards" of range. [The Warren Report stated "The President was 265.3 feet from the rifle in the sixth-floor window and at that position the approximate angle of declination was 15°21'.331."]

JFK Assassination Forum

Oswald’s notes in his guidebook for marines
« on: June 13, 2019, 03:31:22 PM »

Offline Jorn Frending

Re: Oswald’s notes in his guidebook for marines
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 08:46:07 PM »
Yes, this is an interesting observation ...

However, from my experience this is only a classroom annotation in the presence of the shooting instructor since military guides are not always complete.

Rate of fire, rate of aimed fire and rate of effective fire is not the same.

You may get 60 rounds off by just repeatingly pulling the trigger but only 30 rounds when aiming with a military configured trigger, PROVIDED that you have a 30 round clip/magazine.

However, If you start having already loaded a clip with 8 rounds, then managing to load another clip gives you 16 rounds and yet another clip, 24 rounds.

The M1 clip is not easy to load, specially when you do not want to hurt your thumb. Add to this that you may be in mud and snow keeping your head down doesn't make it work faster for you.

I used to  teach and train new soldiers and even practiced with the M1 as a secondary rifle.

(I first registered to this forum in 2013)

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 09:36:16 PM »
Yes, this is an interesting observation ...

However, from my experience this is only a classroom annotation in the presence of the shooting instructor since military guides are not always complete.

Rate of fire, rate of aimed fire and rate of effective fire is not the same.

You may get 60 rounds off by just repeatingly pulling the trigger but only 30 rounds when aiming with a military configured trigger, PROVIDED that you have a 30 round clip/magazine.

However, If you start having already loaded a clip with 8 rounds, then managing to load another clip gives you 16 rounds and yet another clip, 24 rounds.

The M1 clip is not easy to load, specially when you do not want to hurt your thumb. Add to this that you may be in mud and snow keeping your head down doesn't make it work faster for you.

I used to  teach and train new soldiers and even practiced with the M1 as a secondary rifle.

(I first registered to this forum in 2013)

Thank you for your input. I was hoping someone with your type of experience would comment. That was my first thought also, that it was done in the class. I have a copy of the guidebook that is essentially the same but with a June 10, 1954 date. The description is: “Average rate of aimed fire per minute _____ 30 rounds.” I couldn’t imagine why the Marines would publish a book that specifies 30 if it is supposed to be 16 to 24. That is a big difference. And then I thought about LHO giving that book to the Cuban exiles in New Orleans. So he apparently had the guidebook with him and on his mind during the same time he reportedly was practicing with the rifle. And the rate of aimed fire for his MC rifle is more in line with his revision in the manual.
I thought that you might have something to say about his other notations. I can provide more information about what is in the manual if needed. Thanks again.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 09:36:16 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 11:26:36 PM »
Marina never said that LHO practiced aiming and dry firing his rifle on the porch in New Orleans.

But why would he put notes about a bolt-action Carcano in a guide book about an M1 semiautomatic rather than say in his own notebook?

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:41:23 PM »
Marina never said that LHO practiced aiming and dry firing his rifle on the porch in New Orleans.

But why would he put notes about a bolt-action Carcano in a guide book about an M1 semiautomatic rather than say in his own notebook?

Did you miss the word reportedly?

My conjecture is that after his shot at Walker he was still scratching his head over why he missed. And got his old guide book out and turned to the chapter on the rifle to refresh his memory on how to sight it in and the other aspects of the proper care of it. He had a habit of writing down things like his research on Walker’s residence, etc. So it wouldn’t surprise me if those notes do reference his bolt action rifle. I’m not making any claims. Just my thoughts on the possibilities.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:41:23 PM »

Offline Jorn Frending

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 12:45:39 AM »
Thank you for your input. I was hoping someone with your type of experience would comment. That was my first thought also, that it was done in the class. I have a copy of the guidebook that is essentially the same but with a June 10, 1954 date. The description is: “Average rate of aimed fire per minute _____ 30 rounds.” I couldn’t imagine why the Marines would publish a book that specifies 30 if it is supposed to be 16 to 24. That is a big difference. And then I thought about LHO giving that book to the Cuban exiles in New Orleans. So he apparently had the guidebook with him and on his mind during the same time he reportedly was practicing with the rifle. And the rate of aimed fire for his MC rifle is more in line with his revision in the manual.
I thought that you might have something to say about his other notations. I can provide more information about what is in the manual if needed. Thanks again.

Hello again Charles, I'm pleased you found my input useful.

Regarding the rest of his notes I think he was just writing down what the instructor told him in order to explain better what the text really says. "Translating" a military guidebook is quite normal. "Now, reach for your 4 inch pencil in your upper left pocket and write down what I tell You ..."

Unfortunately, on the forum it's difficult to explain military matters to members who did never take part in this world, for obvious legitimate reasons of course.

Whether Oswald was a sharpshooter or a marksman doesn't matter. What matters is how you perform in life fire and rapid fire training. I had soldiers who were poor marksmen but stayed cool in life fire training and thus performed better. I believe Oswald was not good at this according to a YouTube video with his instructor.

People also forget that he was not in a combat unit, he had basic training and was then and assigned to what was going to be his daily job.

All marines may have to work under pressure and all marines may be subject for a direct hit. While some would be radar operators and others mechanics, combat units train combat EVERY DAY.  I received such training ...

Oswald was  NOT in a combat unit, and I don't think he took any particular interest in how a rifle works.

From my experience only, that is how I see it ...

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 01:37:47 AM »
Hello again Charles, I'm pleased you found my input useful.

Regarding the rest of his notes I think he was just writing down what the instructor told him in order to explain better what the text really says. "Translating" a military guidebook is quite normal. "Now, reach for your 4 inch pencil in your upper left pocket and write down what I tell You ..."

Unfortunately, on the forum it's difficult to explain military matters to members who did never take part in this world, for obvious legitimate reasons of course.

Whether Oswald was a sharpshooter or a marksman doesn't matter. What matters is how you perform in life fire and rapid fire training. I had soldiers who were poor marksmen but stayed cool in life fire training and thus performed better. I believe Oswald was not good at this according to a YouTube video with his instructor.

People also forget that he was not in a combat unit, he had basic training and was then and assigned to what was going to be his daily job.

All marines may have to work under pressure and all marines may be subject for a direct hit. While some would be radar operators and others mechanics, combat units train combat EVERY DAY.  I received such training ...

Oswald was  NOT in a combat unit, and I don't think he took any particular interest in how a rifle works.

From my experience only, that is how I see it ...

Were you in the Marines, or a different branch of the military? Oswald completed ten weeks of basic training then was transferred to an infantry training regiment for another six weeks. This was an advanced boot camp that concentrated on the basic skills of combat and amphibious techniques and methods all marines must know. After that he showed a special interest in pistol training according to his pistol instructor Sergeant Arnie Vitarbo in Japan. And according to Vitarbo, Oswald was better than average. Tippit found that out the hard way.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 01:37:47 AM »

Offline Jorn Frending

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 02:38:51 AM »
Were you in the Marines, or a different branch of the military? Oswald completed ten weeks of basic training then was transferred to an infantry training regiment for another six weeks. This was an advanced boot camp that concentrated on the basic skills of combat and amphibious techniques and methods all marines must know. After that he showed a special interest in pistol training according to his pistol instructor Sergeant Arnie Vitarbo in Japan. And according to Vitarbo, Oswald was better than average. Tippit found that out the hard way.

As I say, discussing this with forum members who were not in the army is difficult.

As for example, training urban warfare you realise that using a rifle out of a window is a nightmare, a roof top is not ideal but is much better.

I received similar time in basic training in a European Nato country but was then assigned to a combat unit and this was my daily job.

Oswald, however, was assigned to a radar unit, plenty of things to learn and carry out on a daily basis.

I'm interested in the in the trigger of the CE 139 which apparently did not have a military configuration to prevent a startling effect, but I just don't know because I have not seen it explained anywhere ...

But since this is not a matter of faith to me, I see what I see with the information I've got regardless the directions it takes ...

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:45:06 AM by Jorn Frending »