Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswald is the real assassin  (Read 10180 times)

Online Richard Smith

Re: Oswald is the real assassin
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 04:26:32 PM »
Advertisement
John,,......it’s the majority of the wider public that don’t believe. If Walter and Dan can’t convince them who can? After 56 years no less. JEH placed the essential criteria for success on day 3, now after more than 20,000 days.......the key KPI is still a miss. That’s the fact.

It doesn't matter what the "wider public" believes fifty plus years after the fact.  Most don't care who assassinated JFK.  Very few could tell you even the most basic facts much less the pedantic details that are agonized over in forums like this one.  People believe lots of things that are not true.  Polls often show that a majority of people believe in UFOs, ghosts, Bigfoot etc.  It's more fun to believe in these things or at least profess a belief than not.  Harder to prove the negative with certainty.  How many cable TV shows are there about ghosts?  If they went ghost hunting every week and never found a ghost, the show wouldn't last very long.  The basic evidence in this case is solid.  The implications of the alternative narratives are wildly implausible even if there were any credible evidence of a conspiracy.  Many people will just never be convinced by any amount of evidence.  They need or want a conspiracy.  It doesn't matter because those beliefs don't change the facts.  Either Oswald pulled the trigger or he did not.  The historical truth of which fact is correct is not impacted by how many people believe in one or the other.  All the more so when most people expressing an opinion have very little knowledge of the actual evidence. 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 04:26:32 PM »

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »
It doesn't matter what the "wider public" believes fifty plus years after the fact.  Most don't care who assassinated JFK.  Very few could tell you even the most basic facts much less the pedantic details that are agonized over in forums like this one.  People believe lots of things that are not true.  Polls often show that a majority of people believe in UFOs, ghosts, Bigfoot etc.  It's more fun to believe in these things or at least profess a belief than not.  Harder to prove the negative with certainty.  How many cable TV shows are there about ghosts?  If they went ghost hunting every week and never found a ghost, the show wouldn't last very long.  The basic evidence in this case is solid.  The implications of the alternative narratives are wildly implausible even if there were any credible evidence of a conspiracy.  Many people will just never be convinced by any amount of evidence.  They need or want a conspiracy.  It doesn't matter because those beliefs don't change the facts.  Either Oswald pulled the trigger or he did not.  The historical truth of which fact is correct is not impacted by how many people believe in one or the other.  All the more so when most people expressing an opinion have very little knowledge of the actual evidence.

I believe you will find it is the minority who believe in big foot, flat earth, UFOs (although by definition they are unidentified, I suspect you mean visitors from another world), Bermuda Triangle, fake moon landing etc. Oh and also in that category would be those that believe Oswald acted alone. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your story.

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 06:55:00 PM »
I believe you will find it is the minority who believe in big foot, flat earth, UFOs (although by definition they are unidentified, I suspect you mean visitors from another world), Bermuda Triangle, fake moon landing etc. Oh and also in that category would be those that believe Oswald acted alone. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your story.

Oh and also in that category would be those that believe Oswald acted alone. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your story.

Feel free to prove that anyone other than the shooter knew there was going to be an attempt made on Kennedy that day. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your story.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:58:30 PM by Bill Chapman »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 06:55:00 PM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 06:58:31 PM »

You are missing the point.  If 100 percent of the population believed that Oswald was innocent, that would have no bearing whatsoever on whether he pulled the trigger or not.  He either did or didn't back on 11.22.  No poll will ever change an historical fact.  They also shed very little light on the truth in this case because most of the public has little or no information about the JFK case.  I think you will find that among those that believe in fake moon landings etc you will find a much higher percentage of JFK CTers than those who accept the overwhelming evidence of Oswald's guilt.  So that is a terrible analogy.   And, although they are almost pointless, I believe the recent trend in these polls is a growing acceptance of Oswald's guilt.  The truth usually erodes these types of fantasies over time.  Consistent with the conclusion of every historian outside the kooky, self-appointed CT "researcher" community.

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 07:14:22 PM »
We all know of the Katzenbach memo......

"J. Edgar Hoover, the director of the FBI when John F. Kennedy was assassinated, was adamant that the American public needed to believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in shooting the president and stated that concern in an internal memo on Nov. 24, 1963—the day Jack Ruby killed Oswald. Hoover said: “There is nothing further on the Oswald case except that he is dead.” Hoover referred to the Deputy Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach helping ensure that the public did not believe there was any wider plan to help Oswald: “The thing I am concerned about, and so is Mr. Katzenbach, is having something issued so we can convince the public that Oswald is the real assassin.”"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/j-edgar-hoover-public-has-to-believe-lee-harvey-oswald-acted-alone

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-one-thing-in-politics-most-americans-believe-in-jfk-conspiracies/

After 56 years........looks like a solid F to me.

The Katzenbach memo is confusing unless one cherrypicks it as you have done here.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 07:14:22 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 07:16:01 PM »
Oh and also in that category would be those that believe Oswald acted alone. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your story.

Feel free to prove that anyone other than the shooter knew there was going to be an attempt made on Kennedy that day. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your story.

When did Colin ever claim that anyone other than the shooter knew there was going to be an attempt made on Kennedy that day?

How about you feel free to prove that Oswald "probably" shot JFK.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 07:25:43 PM »
You are missing the point.  If 100 percent of the population believed that Oswald was innocent, that would have no bearing whatsoever on whether he pulled the trigger or not.  He either did or didn't back on 11.22.  No poll will ever change an historical fact.

No handwaving suppositional argument will make any of this a "historical fact".

They also shed very little light on the truth in this case because most of the public has little or no information about the JFK case.  I think you will find that among those that believe in fake moon landings etc you will find a much higher percentage of JFK CTers than those who accept the overwhelming evidence of Oswald's guilt.

That's an interesting claim.  Any evidence to support it?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 07:25:43 PM »

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 07:27:03 PM »

On Youtube, after millions of views and thousands of votes the final tally on the following JFK video seems to reflect the polls.

Which hilariously is reflected in these video voting results. I wonder how the JFK CT's feel to be standing tall next to the Moon non-believers, Reptile people and Chemtrails? You're all KOOKS!

JohnM