Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: CT's, how did Oswald's rifle end up on the 6th floor?  (Read 134264 times)

Offline Walt Cakebread

Re: CT's, how did Oswald's rifle end up on the 6th floor?
« Reply #512 on: October 31, 2019, 08:54:41 PM »
Advertisement

Yes, I see the carved-out channel at the end of the wooden fore-stock that accommodates the blade of the folded-down bayonet. You are claiming that it caused the rectangular shape seen in the print lift (circled on right, below).

If the print came off the wooden stock, wouldn't there be some impression from the the stock's indentation for the forward sling-mount?

Maybe he meant the print was some three inches from the front end of the wooden stock if the barrel was placed back on the stock.

let me point out that the bayonet slot in the photo you posted appears to be wider than the bayonet groove on my carcanos..

I think I know why the bayonet groove appears wider in the photo....  I believe the stock on the rifle in the photo has been sanded.....And the sanding rounded the sharp corners of the bayonet groove and that makes the groove appear to be wider than my carcanos.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #512 on: October 31, 2019, 08:54:41 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #513 on: October 31, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
The 3 colours of fibers that made up Oswald's brown shirt, (the same shirt Oswald wore THAT DAY of Nov 22/63), were matched to fibers found on Oswald's rifle. Oswald's rifle was found on the 6th floor of the TSBD.
Nonsense. Oswald had changed from his work shirt to the arrest shirt at his room. That was demonstrated months ago so back up 5 yards and punt on that one.

Online Jerry Organ

« Reply #514 on: October 31, 2019, 09:38:17 PM »
WOW!!...Thank you Mr Organ....I never expected a LNer to accomodate me and debate this point.  ( while providing photos also )

I see the carved-out channel at the end of the wooden fore-stock that accommodates the blade of the folded-down bayonet. You are claiming that it caused the rectangular shape seen in the print lift (circled on right, below).

Yes,..... But let me point out that the bayonet slot in the photo you posted appears to be wider than the bayonet groove on my carcanos....I own several carcanos and none of them have a groove like the groove on the carcano in the photo.    The grooves on my carcanos is not as wide and the sides are more parallel.   

If the print came off the wooden stock, wouldn't there be some impression from the the stock's indentation for the forward sling-mount?

No.... The photo of CE 637 doesn't show that portion of the rifles stock ( foregrip) The right hand side of the photo (CE 637 ) shows only about 3/4 of an inch of back end of the bayonet groove.

There's more to CE 637 than its right hand side. Seems the little indent on the wooden fore-stock (where the fore sling bracket was fitted to) would have made some sort of impression. It's a pretty significant change in how the surface runs.

Since such an impression is missing, it may be that the print was taken from the metal barrel and not the wooden stock.

Above: How wooden fore-stock looks without the metal forward sling mount.

Maybe he meant the print was some three inches from the front end of the wooden stock if the barrel was placed back on the stock.

HUH?.... Three inches back from the forward end of the wooden stock is three inches .....Period!   It matters not if the metal barrel is fitted into the stock.

Day said that he spotted a print on THE SIDE of the barrel   ( The metal barrel) that disappeared beneath the wooden stock about three inches back from the forward end of the wooden stock.  ( Turns out his guess was pretty good.....The area circled is about 3  & 1 / 2 inches back from the end of the wooden stock.)

However....He said when he disassembled the rifle he saw the old print on the BOTTOM of the metal barrel and that's what he lifted.   

!) A man's palm print couldn't have wrapped half way around that 5 /8 inch metal barrel

2) Day said the print was on the BOTTOM of the barrel ...he did not say that the print extended halfway around the barrel....

The print was centered on the bottom of the barrel. Day saw an edge of it before he disassembled the rifle.

3) there is nothing on the metal barrel that would have created the two parallel lines.

I just posted something on the barrel that could account for the rectangular shape. The shape might have shifted a bit as the metal part was elevated relative to the rest of the barrel. Day was concentrating on where the print was.

The area circled on the right shows what I believe to be some pitting characteristic of the Carcano's barrel.

It doesn't seem characteristic of wood grain.

I believe that Detective  Day was incorporating his lift from the TSBD into the tale they invented, and he was recalling what he thought was a palm print on the wooden stock when he saw it while checking the rifle for prints in the TSBD just minutes after he pulled it from beneath the pallet.    He said the print was about three inches back from the forward end ( muzzle end) of the WOODEN stock.  If he had found a print on the metal barrel he logically would have used the muzzle or the bayonet lug as a reference point.   

I don't know about that. Day references "end of foregrip" in CE 637, which is a reference to the wooden fore-stock. Probably--as it was found assembled--the rifle would be entered as an exhibit fully-assembled. In most of the local cases he was called to testify about, that may have been a standard method of presenting the evidence. I see that in the modern age, guns are sometimes presented in court assembled but with a gun lock for safety. Probably to prevent a Trump supporter playing with it and blowing his foot off.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #514 on: October 31, 2019, 09:38:17 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #515 on: October 31, 2019, 10:10:42 PM »
There's more to CE 637 than its right hand side. Seems the little indent on the wooden fore-stock (where the fore sling bracket was fitted to) would have made some sort of impression. It's a pretty significant change in how the surface runs.

Since such an impression is missing, it may be that the print was taken from the metal barrel and not the wooden stock.

The print was centered on the bottom of the barrel. Day saw an edge of it before he disassembled the rifle.

I just posted something on the barrel that could account for the rectangular shape. The shape might have shifted a bit as the metal part was elevated relative to the rest of the barrel. Day was concentrating on where the print was.

The area circled on the right shows what I believe to be some pitting characteristic of the Carcano's barrel.

I don't know about that. Day references "end of foregrip" in CE 637, which is a reference to the wooden fore-stock. Probably--as it was found assembled--the rifle would be entered as an exhibit fully-assembled. In most of the local cases he was called to testify about, that may have been a standard method of presenting the evidence. I see that in the modern age, guns are sometimes presented in court assembled but with a gun lock for safety. Probably to prevent a Trump supporter playing with it and blowing his foot off.

You're right there is more to CE 637 than the bayonet slot that is shown on the right hand side.   What you're calling the Foresling Bracket is actually the front barrel band .....And that Front barrel band is 5 & 1/2 inches back from the front end of the wooden stock. The 3 X 5 index card is only 5 inches long . The distance from the rear of the bayonet slot to the front barrel band is a little more than 2 inches...so the front barrel band could appear in the photo IF  IF the tape had been pressed down against that area.  However that front barrel band was not the area of interest....Day thought that he'd found a palm print forward of that barrel band. 

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #516 on: October 31, 2019, 11:39:19 PM »

The elevated part that you're referring to is the bayonet lug .....You're right...it is elevated 7 /16 of an inch above the surface of the barrel.  Day couldn't have applied cellophane tape on the top of that bayonet lug in a way that would allow the tape to contact the metal barrel.... Or conversely if Day applied the tape to the barrel he could not have kept contact with the barrel when he tried to place the tape on the bayonet lug.  And incidentally....that bayonet lug is only about one inch to the rear of the front of the wooden stock, ( Day said the print was about 3 inches back. This is so elementary I'm surprised that you'd suggest such an absurd idea.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:26:44 AM by Walt Cakebread »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #516 on: October 31, 2019, 11:39:19 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #517 on: November 01, 2019, 01:42:34 AM »

The 3 colours of fibers that made up Oswald's brown shirt, (the same shirt Oswald wore THAT DAY of Nov 22/63), were matched to fibers found on Oswald's rifle. Oswald's rifle was found on the 6th floor of the TSBD.

JohnM

the same shirt Oswald wore THAT DAY of Nov 22/63

Hang on,

You can actually show that in the morning of 11/22/63 Oswald wore the same shirt he was arrested in at the Texas Theater?

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 01:49:34 AM by Martin Weidmann »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #518 on: November 01, 2019, 03:12:26 PM »
the same shirt Oswald wore THAT DAY of Nov 22/63

Hang on,

You can actually show that in the morning of 11/22/63 Oswald wore the same shirt he was arrested in at the Texas Theater?

Mrs Bledsoe said that the shirt that Lee was wearing when she saw him on Mc Watter's bus had a large hole at the elbow.  This sighting was BEFORE he went to the rooming house at 1026 N Beckley, where he changed his clothes.  Photos taken of Lee in the police station show that the arrest shirt had no hole in the elbow.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #518 on: November 01, 2019, 03:12:26 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #519 on: November 01, 2019, 04:11:34 PM »

A model 91/38 carcano disassembled

Notice the bayonet lug on the bottom of the barrel .....  You'll notice that it extends down from the surface of the round barrel.  Thus the bayonet lug couldn't possibly have been what created the two parallel lines that are seen at the right hand side of CE 637.   As further verification for this point....The bayonet lug is 8.5mm wide....and the parallel lines are only 5mm apart......  That 8.5 mm bayonet lug couldn't possibly have created the parallel lines that are 5mm apart.    However the bayonet groove on my carcano is 5mm wide.