Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: CT's, how did Oswald's rifle end up on the 6th floor?  (Read 133527 times)

Offline Ray Mitcham

Re: CT's, how did Oswald's rifle end up on the 6th floor?
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2019, 11:03:11 AM »
Advertisement
Could this be the same Hugh Aynesworth who said ""I'm not saying there wasn't a conspiracy. I know most people in this country believe there was a conspiracy. I just refuse to accept it and that's my life's work." ?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2019, 11:03:11 AM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »
Could this be the same Hugh Aynesworth who said ""I'm not saying there wasn't a conspiracy. I know most people in this country believe there was a conspiracy. I just refuse to accept it and that's my life's work." ?

Here are the last two paragraphs from Hugh Aynesworth's book "Witness to History:"

Finally I have never disputed the possibility of a conspiracy, or conspiracies, behind the Kennedy assassination. Do not doubt that's a story I'd love to break. However the proof of such a plot continues to elude us. Like it or not, that leaves us with the record as it stands.
So let me add, after fifty years of covering the Kennedy assassination, I am open to any new information if it comes to light and would welcome it no matter where it would lead.

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2019, 12:07:09 AM »
We are very fortunate to have Hugh Aynesworth to share his experiences with us. I thanked him for doing that. In sharp contrast, Howard Brennan just wanted to be left alone. The stress of the unwanted attention contributed to his early demise due to heart problems.

Interesting since it's well known that most people simply don't want to get involved in things that might invade their privacy. I wonder if some person might have actually seen, for instance, Oswald walking or trotting down the street during the time leading up to the Tippit incident. Then, upon hearing about the murder, seeing and recognizing Oswald in the media as the man they saw on the street, might have decided that since the man had already been arrested, why get involved? Not everybody craves attention.

I've, fleetingly, thought about calling one or two of the involved people... but why exactly should I rely on the memory of people all these decades later?

Note: I'm not criticizing your exchanges with Hugh in any way, Charles. A writer is more likely to have taken notes, etc than the average citizen.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:14:04 AM by Bill Chapman »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2019, 12:07:09 AM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2019, 12:30:54 AM »
Sure it is, but the trigger guard wasn't being discussed making your post a complete waste of time

Not on my watch.

Chapman is pretty sure that the truth of the matter as a whole usurps barrister-wanna-be courtroom tactics, where pruning related matters seems a transparent attempt to try the case one tree at a time.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2019, 01:19:41 AM »
Interesting since it's well known that most people simply don't want to get involved in things that might invade their privacy. I wonder if some person might have actually seen, for instance, Oswald walking or trotting down the street during the time leading up to the Tippit incident. Then, upon hearing about the murder, seeing and recognizing Oswald in the media as the man they saw on the street, might have decided that since the man had already been arrested, why get involved? Not everybody craves attention.

I've, fleetingly, thought about calling one or two of the involved people... but why exactly should I rely on the memory of people all these decades later?

Note: I'm not criticizing your exchanges with Hugh in any way, Charles. A writer is more likely to have taken notes, etc than the average citizen.

Bill, you’re exactly right. And something you’ve probably thought of but didn’t mention that applies particularly in this case is fear. (There has been a lot of speculation about conspiracy and mysterious deaths surrounding the assassination.) Many witnesses were never contacted. And some were deeply traumatized by the events.

I wouldn’t even try to contact anyone who has indicated a preference for privacy. The same for anyone who I think was traumatized.

Edit: Howard Brennan is a hero for his decision to get involved. His description of Oswald was crucial. And there is a reasonable chance that he could have recognized Oswald as he walked out of the TSBD and pointed him out if he hadn’t been distracted by unwanted reporters.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:42:50 AM by Charles Collins »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2019, 01:19:41 AM »

Online Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2019, 03:14:22 PM »
Bill, you’re exactly right. And something you’ve probably thought of but didn’t mention that applies particularly in this case is fear. (There has been a lot of speculation about conspiracy and mysterious deaths surrounding the assassination.) Many witnesses were never contacted. And some were deeply traumatized by the events.

I wouldn’t even try to contact anyone who has indicated a preference for privacy. The same for anyone who I think was traumatized.

Edit: Howard Brennan is a hero for his decision to get involved. His description of Oswald was crucial. And there is a reasonable chance that he could have recognized Oswald as he walked out of the TSBD and pointed him out if he hadn’t been distracted by unwanted reporters.
Hugh Aynesworth, the Dallas reporter who was one of if not the first on the scene at the TSBD after the shooting, gives this account of him trying to interview people (this is from his book "Eyewitness to History"):

"Some witnesses hurriedly shared a few comments with me. Some feared being quoted by name. One woman said she worked in the depository building, "and I'll be damned if I am going to tell you what I believe..."

And this: "I saw [Howard] Brennan talking to two officers and tried to poke my nose into the conversation. "I saw him up there in the window," I heard him say as he pointed toward Oswald's sniper's nest. "No doubt he was the one. He wasn't even in much of a hurry."

One cop asked if Brennan could describe the shooter. "Of course", he answered, "I saw him real good."

Then Brennan noticed me and moved away, asking the officers as he did so to keep me and the other reporters away from him--a request they were glad to fulfil. Brennan, I later learned, feared talking to the press else he endganger himself or his family.

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »
Hugh Aynesworth, the Dallas reporter who was one of if not the first on the scene at the TSBD after the shooting, gives this account of him trying to interview people (this is from his book "Eyewitness to History"):

"Some witnesses hurriedly shared a few comments with me. Some feared being quoted by name. One woman said she worked in the depository building, "and I'll be damned if I am going to tell you what I believe..."

And this: "I saw [Howard] Brennan talking to two officers and tried to poke my nose into the conversation. "I saw him up there in the window," I heard him say as he pointed toward Oswald's sniper's nest. "No doubt he was the one. He wasn't even in much of a hurry."

One cop asked if Brennan could describe the shooter. "Of course", he answered, "I saw him real good."

Then Brennan noticed me and moved away, asking the officers as he did so to keep me and the other reporters away from him--a request they were glad to fulfil. Brennan, I later learned, feared talking to the press else he endganger himself or his family.

Yes, Aynesworth was one of the reporters Brennan was trying to avoid. In Brennan’s book he specifically talked about a television crew. And Aynesworth hitched a ride with a television crew to the Tippit murder scene. So it all fits.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »

Offline Gary Craig

« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2019, 02:58:21 PM »