Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Rolling Readers & Murdered Leaders  (Read 28349 times)

Online Charles Collins

Re: Rolling Readers & Murdered Leaders
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2019, 01:51:55 PM »
Advertisement
All good questions Charles, those and many more can be found over a discussion that lasted 70odd pages and started around here....

https://www.jfkassassinationforum.com/index.php/topic,1753.200.html

Have the LN team decided whether the rifle could fit in the bag without dissembling yet?

I read enough that I understand what the argument is about. I am not inclined to read the entire thread though. It appears to me that those curtain rods could not have been in the Paine garage on 3/23/64 if they were in the custody of the DPD as the document would indicate they were. Therefore, it is reasonable to believe that the date of 3/15/64 is in error.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2019, 01:51:55 PM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2019, 01:56:01 PM »
Was the rifle dissembled or not? Could it have been transported intact in that bag or not. You LN guys get back to us when you have worked that out.

LOL.  I asked a straightforward question.  You apparently don't know the answer.  So we get the usual CT commentary instead of answers.  It seems pretty obvious that if Oswald carried the rifle in that bag (and he did) that it was dissembled if the assembled rifle is longer than the bag.  I'm not sure why think that has to be "worked out."  The question that I posed to you is what is meant by "dissembled" in this context.  What is the fewest possible pieces that his rifle would be in to make it fit the bag?  For example, could the barrel be removed from the stock and fit it in the bag?  Only two large pieces rather than breaking the rifle completely down into multiple pieces.  Far easier to carry the rifle in two large pieces than with multiple smaller pieces.  And why folding it on one end constitutes some type of "security" issue for the contents is a mystifying concern.  Anyone who carries a lunch bag just folds the top end and gravity does the rest.  The contents don't fly out of the top to the moon.  Same with Oswald's bag.  He carries the folded end up and there is no problem. 

Offline Ray Mitcham

« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2019, 06:43:29 PM »
LOL.  I asked a straightforward question.  You apparently don't know the answer.  So we get the usual CT commentary instead of answers.  It seems pretty obvious that if Oswald carried the rifle in that bag (and he did) that it was dissembled if the assembled rifle is longer than the bag.  I'm not sure why think that has to be "worked out."  The question that I posed to you is what is meant by "dissembled" in this context.  What is the fewest possible pieces that his rifle would be in to make it fit the bag?  For example, could the barrel be removed from the stock and fit it in the bag?  Only two large pieces rather than breaking the rifle completely down into multiple pieces.  Far easier to carry the rifle in two large pieces than with multiple smaller pieces.  And why folding it on one end constitutes some type of "security" issue for the contents is a mystifying concern.  Anyone who carries a lunch bag just folds the top end and gravity does the rest.  The contents don't fly out of the top to the moon.  Same with Oswald's bag.  He carries the folded end up and there is no problem.

Part of removal up to where the Barrel can be realeased from the stock.

Remove bolt.
Remove bayonet lug screw.
Remove bayonet lug.
Unscrew the sling (Front barrel band) bracket.
Remove wooden barrel cover.
Remove the 2 action screws for trigger guard.(This releases the barrel from the stock.)

And the opposite to re assemble. Hardly a simple operation especially without a screwdriver.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 06:44:21 PM by Ray Mitcham »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2019, 06:43:29 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2019, 10:41:51 PM »
Part of removal up to where the Barrel can be realeased from the stock.

Remove bolt.
Remove bayonet lug screw.
Remove bayonet lug.
Unscrew the sling (Front barrel band) bracket.
Remove wooden barrel cover.
Remove the 2 action screws for trigger guard.(This releases the barrel from the stock.)

And the opposite to re assemble. Hardly a simple operation especially without a screwdriver.

Pretty sure no screws are needed for the bolt or wooden barrel cover. And how does a screwdriver continue to be a factor in removing the bayonet lug after the bayonet lug has already been loosened by said screwdriver? You wouldn't be padding your list here, now would you?

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2019, 12:44:19 AM »
Looks like we have lost a few days postings in this thread and another complete thread that Ross (?) started with the Dan Rather paper bag recreation. Are we working off a backup from 4 days ago?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2019, 12:44:19 AM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2019, 02:16:50 AM »
Looks like we have lost a few days postings in this thread and another complete thread that Ross (?) started with the Dan Rather paper bag recreation. Are we working off a backup from 4 days ago?

Yes, something is wrong. Earlier today all posts after January 17th had disappeared. Perhaps we should stop posting until it is sorted to avoid an even bigger mess.

Offline Thomas Graves

« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2019, 02:24:45 AM »
Yes, something is wrong. Earlier today all posts after January 17th had disappeared. Perhaps we should stop posting until it is sorted to avoid an even bigger mess.

Fwiw,

I've been posting just about every day since I joined.  When I go to my profile page and click on "show posts," the most recent ones I see now are some I posted way back on May 19.

-- MWT  ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:45:30 AM by Thomas Graves »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2019, 02:24:45 AM »

Offline Ross Lidell

« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2019, 06:11:52 AM »

Posted again, Colin.

A better narrative on the second go.  ;D

In future, I'm saving original posts "text" in a WORD file on a hard drive.