Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Was Lee Oswald the passenger in Whaley's Taxi?  (Read 56728 times)

Offline Bill Brown

Re: Was Lee Oswald the passenger in Whaley's Taxi?
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »
Advertisement

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
To spell it out for you, I said that Oswald wanted the cab to go past the rooming house so he could see if the authorities were there.

Well, given that you're not a mindreader, you don't actually know what Oswald wanted.  So we're left with deciding whether it even makes sense for Oswald to want to do this, given that nobody knew where he was living.

Or whether it makes more sense that Whaley's passenger told Whaley to take him where he actually was going.

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2018, 08:44:38 PM »
Well, given that you're not a mindreader, you don't actually know what Oswald wanted.  So we're left with deciding whether it even makes sense for Oswald to want to do this, given that nobody knew where he was living.

Or whether it makes more sense that Whaley's passenger told Whaley to take him where he actually was going.

AS I recall Whaley's passenger told Whaley he wanted to go to the 500 block of N. Beckley.... but he told Whaley to pull over and let him out before they reached the destination....  Apparently the man was watching the meter and realized that the dollar he had wasn't going to cover the fare to that destination. 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2018, 08:44:38 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2018, 10:03:34 PM »
AS I recall Whaley's passenger told Whaley he wanted to go to the 500 block of N. Beckley.... but he told Whaley to pull over and let him out before they reached the destination....  Apparently the man was watching the meter and realized that the dollar he had wasn't going to cover the fare to that destination.

That's not what Whaley said in his affidavit.  He said "when I got in the 500 block of North Beckley he said this will do and I stopped".

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2018, 11:49:22 PM »
That's not what Whaley said in his affidavit.  He said "when I got in the 500 block of North Beckley he said this will do and I stopped".

I did not review Whaley's testimony but I thought he said that when the man in the blue workmans uniform entered his cab at 12:30, the man gave him a destination of 500 block of N Beckley.....but the man told Whaley to pull over to the curb and he got out of the taxi in the 700 block.....

I just checked.....

Mr. WHALEY. When I got to Beckley almost to the intersection of Beckley and Neely, he said, "This will do right here." and I pulled up to the curb
Mr. BELIN. Was that the 500 block of North Beckley?
Mr. WHALEY. No, sir; that was the 700 block.
Mr. BELIN. You let him out not at the 500 block but the 700 block of North Beckley?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:00:54 AM by Walt Cakebread »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2018, 11:49:22 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2018, 12:06:24 AM »
I did not review Whaley's testimony but I thought he said that when the man in the blue workmans uniform entered his cab at 12:30, the man gave him a destination of 500 block of N Beckley.....but the man told Whaley to pull over to the curb and he got out of the taxi in the 700 block.....

In his first testimony taken on March 12, he said:

"But when I got pretty close to 500 block at Neches and North Beckley which is the 500 block, he said, "This will do fine," and I pulled over to the curb right there."

Note that Neches doesn't even intersect with Beckley.

Then they reinterviewed him on April 8 and asked him the same questions again (why?) at which point his memory must have "improved":

Mr. WHALEY. When I got to Beckley almost to the intersection of Beckley and Neely, he said, "This will do right here." and I pulled up to the curb
Mr. BELIN. You let him out not at the 500 block but the 700 block of North Beckley?
Mr. WHALEY. Yes, sir.
Mr. BELIN. Had you crossed Neely Street yet when you let him off?
Mr. WHALEY. No, sir.
Mr. BELIN. About how far north of Neely street did you let the man off?
Mr. WHALEY. About 20 feet.

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2018, 12:37:28 AM »

"But when I got pretty close to 500 block at Neches and North Beckley which is the 500 block, he said, "This will do fine," and I pulled over to the curb right there."

Then they reinterviewed him on April 8 and asked him the same questions again (why?) at which point his memory must have "improved":

Mr. WHALEY. Yes, sir.
Mr. WHALEY. No, sir.

Question:....  Wouldn't you conclude that Whaley's passenger in the blue Workman's clothing was watching the meter and knew he had only a dollar.....which wasn't enough for the fare to the 500 block of Beckley so he told Whaley to pull to the curb and got out a couple of blocks short of the 500 block?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2018, 12:37:28 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2018, 04:57:56 PM »

Mr. WHALEY. Yes, sir.
Mr. WHALEY. No, sir.

Which is just another indication that Whaley was just a simple ( illiterate )cabbie who confused Neely with Neches....