Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Well done JACK - Ruby praised for killing Oswald  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Ross Lidell

Well done JACK - Ruby praised for killing Oswald
« on: March 08, 2019, 12:46:19 AM »
Advertisement
In the immediate aftermath of the Assassination of President Kennedy by Lee Harvey Oswald (and subsequent assassination of Oswald by Jack Ruby): Many citizens endorsed Ruby's crime.

The letter of the law was set aside by patriotic (and admittedly misguided) folks as they expressed their feelings in correspondence to Jack and also to the officer (District Attorney) who would seek to punish Jack for his "deed".

We owe a debt of gratitude to Dallas County District Attorney Henry Wade for not destroying documents that provide a fascinating historical insight (oversight?) into the momentous events of 22 November to 24 November 1963.

Paragraph 2 of the letter reveals a man distraught with burning anger: Almost sane in its craziness.

Paragraph 3 of the letter would have thrilled Jack Ruby. I wonder if Hank Wade sent him a copy?

Paragraph 5 is incomparable in the history of correspondence: An ordinary citizen using his constitutional right of free speech to advise (set straight) some big-shot public servant of the right thing to do.

Keep in mind; this is before personal computers, word processors, the internet etc.  Note the font that looks at a glance "all UPPER CASE", predicting the "shout formatting" on today's forums and blogs. Mr McNelis was ahead of his time. He must have slaved over a typewriter (without benefit of correction fluid) producing many drafts before his masterpiece was completed.

Congratulations and Rest In Peace... Donald J. McNelis (American patriot).

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:47:54 AM by Ross Lidell »

JFK Assassination Forum

Well done JACK - Ruby praised for killing Oswald
« on: March 08, 2019, 12:46:19 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

Re: Good work JACK - Ruby praised for killing Oswald
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 12:57:43 AM »
In the immediate aftermath of the Assassination of President Kennedy by Lee Harvey Oswald (and subsequent assassination of Oswald by Jack Ruby): Many citizens endorsed Ruby's crime.

The letter of the law was set aside by these patriotic (and admittedly misguided) folks as they expressed their feelings in correspondence to Jack and also to the officer (District Attorney) who would punish Jack for his "deed".

We owe a debt of gratitude to Dallas County District Attorney Henry Wade for not destroying documents that provide a fascinating historical insight (oversight?) into the momentous events of 22 November to 24 November 1963.

Paragraphs 2 and 3 of the letter are "doozies". Paragraph 5 is incomparable in the history of correspondence from an ordinary citizen "setting straight" some big-shot.

Keep in mind: this is before the internet, tweets etc. The guy must have slaved over a typewriter (without benefit of correction fluid) producing many drafts before his masterpiece was completed.

Congratulations and Rest In Peace... Donald J. McNelis.

We owe a debt of gratitude to Dallas County District Attorney Henry Wade

Henry Wade should have been brought to Justice ..... and given a hemp necktie.

Offline Dan DAlimonte

Re: Well done JACK - Ruby praised for killing Oswald
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 01:48:01 AM »

Hey Ross.  I don't know how many members here can remember that day
when Ruby shot Oswald but I certainly do.  I was a kid playing ground hockey
with a group of kid's at one of the neighborhood homes when the mother of one,
rushed out to tell us Oswald was shot.  We all rushed into the house and all of us were happy.
Damn happy, when we saw the coverage on TV.   She kept screaming -  Good.  Good. 
Good for the bastard.  Good.  That sentiment was the same for millions.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder when the word - misinformation -
became legitimate for, Scrabble

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 01:48:01 AM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 02:46:31 AM »
http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box4.htm
Go down to folder 4 toward bottom of page....dozens and dozens of such letters.
Many aren't that legible. Lots of autograph hounds.

1224-045.gif---"Dear Jack...the trial you face seems so needless"
 1222-011.gif---"Dear Mr Ruby...many like myself have best of wishes for you"
 1207-015.gif---To Jack Ruby- City Jail- Dallas... "Happy Birthday" [Actually, Ruby was in County Jail]

Offline Ross Lidell

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 02:57:13 AM »
http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box4.htm
Go down to folder 4 toward bottom of page....dozens and dozens of such letters.
Many aren't that legible. Lots of autograph hounds.

1224-045.gif---"Dear Jack...the trial you face seems so needless"
 1222-011.gif---"Dear Mr Ruby...many like myself have best of wishes for you"
 1207-015.gif---To Jack Ruby- City Jail- Dallas... "Happy Birthday" [Actually, Ruby was in County Jail]

Thanks "Jer": That lot should keep me amused for a while.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 02:57:13 AM »

Offline Ross Lidell

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 02:59:51 AM »

Hey Ross.  I don't know how many members here can remember that day
when Ruby shot Oswald but I certainly do.  I was a kid playing ground hockey
with a group of kid's at one of the neighborhood homes when the mother of one,
rushed out to tell us Oswald was shot.  We all rushed into the house and all of us were happy.
Damn happy, when we saw the coverage on TV.   She kept screaming -  Good.  Good. 
Good for the xxxxxx.  Good.  That sentiment was the same for millions.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder when the word - misinformation -
became legitimate for, Scrabble   

Based on your avatar Dan, you don't look old enough to have "almost seen" the Oswald assassination when it happened. You should have been watching TV instead of wasting your time playing hockey!!!

All jokes aside: What do you think of citizen McNelis's letter to DA Henry Wade?

I consider it to be typical of the type of letters Ruby would have received:

-- Expressing outrage at Oswald's actions.

--  Praising Jack for killing Oswald.

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 04:49:13 AM »
Within four hours of Ruby's arrest on November 24, 1963, a telegram sent from La Jolla, CA, was received at the Dallas city jail in support of Jack Ruby, under the names of Hal and Pauline Collins.

That telegram supports the Warren Commission exhibit FBI 302, which names Hal Collins, Jr. as a character reference listed by Jack Ruby on a Texas liquor license application. In 1957, Hal Collin's sister, Mary Ann Collins, had married Robert L. Clark, the brother of former U.S. Attorney General and the then sitting U.S. Supreme Court Justice, Tom C. Clark.
https://web.archive.org/web/20101122034207/http://earljones.net/pafg3510.htm#99939

Robert L. Clark was the former Dallas law partner of Maury Hughes. Tom C. Clark advised newspaper columnist Drew Pearson in 1946 that the FBI had verified the claims of James M. Ragen that Henry Crown and the Hilton Hotel chain had financial interests in syndicated racketeering activities in Chicago. Tom C. Clark also recommended that the Warren Commission appoint Henry Crown's attorney, Albert E. Jenner, Jr., to serve as assistant counsel to the commission.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1325&relPageId=28&search=clark_and%20jenner

https://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/clark/
....He chaired several American Bar Association committees on judicial administration, helped found the National Judicial College, and was the first director of the Federal Judicial Center. ....

......there is nothing in the Warren Commission Report about Jenner's legal representation of Dorfman insurance brokerage client, M. Frank Darling, or about Jenner's law firm's cooperation with Stanford Clinton in representing the Teamsters Central States Pension Fund, linked in the above cited, 1982 New Jersey report, to Allen Dorfman.....

My goodness! It is a good thing there was no collusion! The WC might have rnded up with astained reputation, if there had been some.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:55:48 AM by Tom Scully »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 04:49:13 AM »

Offline Ross Lidell

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »
Within four hours of Ruby's arrest on November 24, 1963, a telegram sent from La Jolla, CA, was received at the Dallas city jail in support of Jack Ruby, under the names of Hal and Pauline Collins.

That telegram supports the Warren Commission exhibit FBI 302, which names Hal Collins, Jr. as a character reference listed by Jack Ruby on a Texas liquor license application. In 1957, Hal Collin's sister, Mary Ann Collins, had married Robert L. Clark, the brother of former U.S. Attorney General and the then sitting U.S. Supreme Court Justice, Tom C. Clark.
https://web.archive.org/web/20101122034207/http://earljones.net/pafg3510.htm#99939

Robert L. Clark was the former Dallas law partner of Maury Hughes. Tom C. Clark advised newspaper columnist Drew Pearson in 1946 that the FBI had verified the claims of James M. Ragen that Henry Crown and the Hilton Hotel chain had financial interests in syndicated racketeering activities in Chicago. Tom C. Clark also recommended that the Warren Commission appoint Henry Crown's attorney, Albert E. Jenner, Jr., to serve as assistant counsel to the commission.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1325&relPageId=28&search=clark_and%20jenner

My goodness! It is a good thing there was no collusion! The WC might have rnded up with astained reputation, if there had been some.

Good find Tom.

It demonstrates that many Americans intuitively thought that Jack Ruby killed Lee Oswald in a sense of outrage. They shared that outrage and such was their anger: They applauded him for doing what they thought of but did not have the means, opportunity or courage to do themselves.

Telegrams were great things: Cost per word so people were forced to be concise with brevity.