Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Oswald's Rifle Capability  (Read 20026 times)

Offline Walt Cakebread

Re: Oswald's Rifle Capability
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
Advertisement
Oswald didn't have the option of working the bolt repeatedly just before shooting, because he is in the sniper nest by 12:24 (to have placed box on window ledge just before Bronson film starts) and during this 6 minutes of time Harold Norman was RIGHT under him, and SURELY Norman would have heard the "clak clak" of the bolt operating if Oswald working it.

And Oswald had not worked the bolt therefore until he had last had the rifle in hand, IF he was the shooter seen by Arnold Rowland at 12:15 at the SW window of TSBD 6th floor.

so 15 minutes of not having worked the bolt beforehand, plus having to use iron sights fixed for a zero of 200 meters, plus having to have remained out of sight, thus NOT IN position premptively, makes this NOT a simple exercise. Thats probably 2 top military snipers , Carlos Hathcock, and Craig Roberts were high skeptical:

?The reason I knew that Oswald could not have done it, was because I could not have done it,? said former US Marine sniper, Craig Roberts. Credited with numerous kills while serving in Vietnam , Roberts turned an objective eye on the shot heard ?round the world. After he visited Dealey Plaza, after viewing the so-called ?sniper?s lair,? on the sixth floor of the book depository, and after staring at the large oak tree overspreading much of Elm Street, Roberts said, ?I walked away from the window in disgust. I had seen all I needed to know that Oswald could not have been the lone shooter.?

Not content with his own critical appraisal, Roberts turned to another, equally knowledgeable shooter. ?According to my friend, Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, the former senior instructor for the US Marine Corps Sniper Instructor School at Quantico, Virginia, it could not be done as described by the FBI investigators.?

?Let me tell you what we did at Quantico,? Hathcock recalls. ?We reconstructed the whole thing: the angle, the range, the moving target, the time limit, the obstacles, everything. I don?t know how many times we tried it, but we couldn?t duplicate what the Warren Commission said Oswald did. Now if I can?t do it, how in the world could a guy who was a non-qual on the rifle range and later only qualified 'marksman' do it??

https://www.liberalforum.org/topic/233951-oswald-couldnt-have-done-itshot-impossible-says-2-famed-snipers/

Oswald didn't have the option of working the bolt repeatedly just before shooting, because he is in the sniper nest by 12:24

No , That's not correct.....Lee was in the first floor lunchroom at about 12:26 whe Jarman and Norman passed by on their way to the fifth floor....

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »

Offline Tim Nickerson

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 08:24:16 PM »
Oswald didn't have the option of working the bolt repeatedly just before shooting, because he is in the sniper nest by 12:24 (to have placed box on window ledge just before Bronson film starts) and during this 6 minutes of time Harold Norman was RIGHT under him, and SURELY Norman would have heard the "clak clak" of the bolt operating if Oswald working it.

And Oswald had not worked the bolt therefore until he had last had the rifle in hand, IF he was the shooter seen by Arnold Rowland at 12:15 at the SW window of TSBD 6th floor.

so 15 minutes of not having worked the bolt beforehand, plus having to use iron sights fixed for a zero of 200 meters, plus having to have remained out of sight, thus NOT IN position premptively, makes this NOT a simple exercise. Thats probably 2 top military snipers , Carlos Hathcock, and Craig Roberts were high skeptical:

?The reason I knew that Oswald could not have done it, was because I could not have done it,? said former US Marine sniper, Craig Roberts. Credited with numerous kills while serving in Vietnam , Roberts turned an objective eye on the shot heard ?round the world. After he visited Dealey Plaza, after viewing the so-called ?sniper?s lair,? on the sixth floor of the book depository, and after staring at the large oak tree overspreading much of Elm Street, Roberts said, ?I walked away from the window in disgust. I had seen all I needed to know that Oswald could not have been the lone shooter.?

Not content with his own critical appraisal, Roberts turned to another, equally knowledgeable shooter. ?According to my friend, Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, the former senior instructor for the US Marine Corps Sniper Instructor School at Quantico, Virginia, it could not be done as described by the FBI investigators.?

?Let me tell you what we did at Quantico,? Hathcock recalls. ?We reconstructed the whole thing: the angle, the range, the moving target, the time limit, the obstacles, everything. I don?t know how many times we tried it, but we couldn?t duplicate what the Warren Commission said Oswald did. Now if I can?t do it, how in the world could a guy who was a non-qual on the rifle range and later only qualified 'marksman' do it??

https://www.liberalforum.org/topic/233951-oswald-couldnt-have-done-itshot-impossible-says-2-famed-snipers/

Hathcock & Kennedy Assassination?

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »

"Oswald didn't have the option of working the bolt repeatedly just before shooting"
>>> So what. He already had the feel of the rifle. Only FBI testers used the actual rifle afaik, and they said they could improve their times with more practice.

Seems Oswald was in the zone that day..

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 09:52:16 PM »
Mr. LIEBELER - Do you mean to suggest by that statement that you have considerable doubt in your mind that Oswald killed the President?
Mr. ANDREWS - I know good and well he did not. With that weapon, he couldn't have been capable of making three controlled shots in that short time.
Mr. LIEBELER - You are basing your opinion on reports that you have received over news media as to how many shots were fired in what period of time; is that correct?
Mr. ANDREWS - I am basing my opinion on five years as an ordnanceman in the Navy. You can lean into those things, and with throwing the bolts--if I couldn't do it myself, 8 hours a day, doing this for a living, constantly on the range, I know this civilian couldn't do it. He might have been a sharp marksman at one time, but if you don't lean into that rifle and don't squeeze and. control consistently, your brain can tell you how to do it, but you don't have the capability.
Mr. LIEBELER - You have used a pronoun in this last series of statements, the pronoun "it." You are making certain assumptions as to what actually happened, or you have a certain notion in your mind as to what happened based on material you read in the newspaper?
Mr. ANDREWS - It doesn't make any difference. What you have to do is lean into a weapon, and, to fire three shots controlled with accuracy, this boy couldn't do it. Forget the President.
Mr. LIEBELER - You base that judgment on the fact that, in your own experience, it is difficult to do that sort of thing?
Mr. ANDREWS - You have to stay with it. You just don't pick up a rifle or a pistol or whatever weapon you are using and stay proficient with it. You have to know what you are doing. You have to be a conniver. This boy could have connived the deal, but I think he is a patsy. Somebody else pulled the trigger.
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/andrews.htm

Oswald what now? Practiced working the bolt while aiming at the cuckoo in the clock?  :D

Offline Zeon Mason

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »
Oswald didn't have the option of working the bolt repeatedly just before shooting, because he is in the sniper nest by 12:24

No , That's not correct.....Lee was in the first floor lunchroom at about 12:26 whe Jarman and Norman passed by on their way to the fifth floor....

right  Thumb1:

barring the random coincidental selection of Norman and Jarman by Oswald as probable, then we are left with where Oswald could have seen or heard Norman and Jarman, IF Oswald were the shooter AND also, able to get into the snipers nest by 12:24 without being seen by Bonnie Ray Williams leaving from that window by 12:22, otherwise, the box cannot be placed in  the window by 12:24 unless BRW placed it, which is highly NOT probable.

The only place remotely probable for Oswald to be hiding, to be able to both hear Norman and Jarman coming up the staircase, and also see or hear BRW using the elevator and going down to 5th floor, is that Oswald hides on the mid level of the 6th floor staircase going up to the 7th floor.

He could have heard Norman and Jarman on  the staircase one level below,, and he could hear and possibly see thru the elevator shaft, BRW using the East elevator.

But this would require Norman and Jarman be AT their windows by 12:20, and BRW joining them as Jarman said "several minutes later, at approx 12:23. so as to give Oswald at least 1 minute to cross over the 6th floor and put the box in the SE 6th floor window ledge by 12:24, just before the Bronson film begins.

But even Jarman and Normans LATEST estimate of their STARTING to leave from front of the TSBD is 12:20, so this makes it nearly impossible for the above "Oswald hiding" scenario.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:12:41 PM by Zeon Mason »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »

Offline Zeon Mason

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 10:18:19 PM »

Oswald what now? Practiced working the bolt while aiming at the cuckoo in the clock?  :D

This is why the CBS shooter trial is total garbage, because they were allowed to work the bolt, to be in position BEFOREHAND and knew the track of the target. They didn't have a tree in the way either.  The target was red on a black background and they couldsee the line of the track too.

PLUS, they let them USE an ALIGNED scope  :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:19:21 PM by Zeon Mason »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 10:48:58 PM »

Like Tim has pointed out re Ventura, too bad for JFK that this guy Andrews wasn't the one firing at him that day.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 10:48:58 PM »

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 10:52:29 PM »

This is why the CBS shooter trial is total garbage, because they were allowed to work the bolt, to be in position BEFOREHAND and knew the track of the target. They didn't have a tree in the way either.  The target was red on a black background and they couldsee the line of the track too.

PLUS, they let them USE an ALIGNED scope  :D

Are you saying you know that Oswald's scope was misaligned during the shooting...?