Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Otis Rush R.I.P.  (Read 5539 times)

Offline Steve Logan

Otis Rush R.I.P.
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »
Advertisement
Missed his passing on 9/29/2018
He recorded this in 1956 later stolen by Led Zeppelin

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:41:56 PM by Steve Logan »

JFK Assassination Forum

Otis Rush R.I.P.
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »

Offline Richard Rubio

Re: Otis Rush R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 06:41:11 PM »
LZ just needed to give credit, what was the big deal about doing that?

Rolling Stones obviously did a lot of covers in their early days, blues covers. Beatles sang a few songs of other people.

I do think LZ innovated some of the songs like Bring it on home and When the Levee broke, maybe that could have been added on in the credits.  I think it has been done that way for one of those songs.

Offline Steve Logan

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 04:55:43 PM »
LZ just needed to give credit, what was the big deal about doing that?

Rolling Stones obviously did a lot of covers in their early days, blues covers. Beatles sang a few songs of other people.

I do think LZ innovated some of the songs like Bring it on home and When the Levee broke, maybe that could have been added on in the credits.  I think it has been done that way for one of those songs.

They have been sued many times and have settled many times with original song composers(or their estates) prior to going to trial. Don't get me wrong I love Zeppelin and have seen them more than a few times. There is NOTHING new in music , everybody is inspired by those before them. I've played guitar for over 50 years , everybody lifts a lick ortwo or three from somebody but Zep gave no credit to those folks. They, in many cases (as can be heard in the aforementioned Otis Rush song) lifted the entire arrangement ,give or take a solo or two, with nary a mention of the composer on the record label . Zeppelin did however give Memphis Minnie credit on When the Levee Breaks on the first pressing of the 4th album. The Stones always credited the original Blues artist . They did get sued by K.D. Lang and lost (Anybody seen my Baby/Constant Craving) she is now credited with the song along with Jagger and Richards. Then George Harrison with My Sweet Lord and He's So Fine by the Chiffons. Zep has now settled everything except for that pesky Stairway lawsuit which has been resurrected in the courts again.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:23:25 PM by Steve Logan »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 04:55:43 PM »

Offline Dale Nason

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 12:14:09 AM »
another left handed guitar player....cool. Just like Jimi Hendrix and...?..me