Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Green Beans, Peas and Inverted Carets  (Read 24186 times)

Offline Bill Brown

Re: Green Beans, Peas and Inverted Carets
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 10:32:54 PM »
Advertisement

Certainly looks like an "and ' sign to me. not an inverted caret.

Please zoom in.

Why would you refer to the notes of Will Fritz when we're debating whether Hosty used an inverted caret or an ampersand logo? 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:37:15 PM by Bill Brown »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 10:32:54 PM »

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 12:21:58 AM »

Iccy's pic looks legit.

To me both these look like they represent the same symbol.

Hosty's rough notes are just designed to be a reminder for when he makes a more detailed report later.
Does it make sense to write that Truly had a rifle and two others(rifles) wouldn't you just say Truly had three rifles?
Alternatively Hosty could be saying that Oswald told him Truly had a rifle and there were two others(people) who also saw the rifle?

Mr. BALL. Didn't he say that he had seen a rifle at the building?
Mr. FRITZ. Yes, sir; he told me he had seen a rifle at the building 2 or 3 days before that Mr. Truly and some men were looking at.

Mr. McCLOY. Did you notice that Oswald said in the course of his interview by Captain Fritz that he had not had a rifle but he had seen a rifle in the Possession of Mr. Truly?
Mr. HOSTY. Right.

JohnM

Offline Ray Mitcham

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 02:17:27 PM »
Why would you refer to the notes of Will Fritz when we're debating whether Hosty used an inverted caret or an ampersand logo?

I thought you were going to say that Fritz used a caret as well. :)

I noticed you didn't answer my question yet again.
i.e As I said before Hosty, probably wouldn't have known what a caret was.

And if he did why would he mistakenly use it?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 02:50:26 PM by Ray Mitcham »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 02:17:27 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »

I noticed you didn't answer my question yet again.
i.e As I said before Hosty, probably wouldn't have known what a caret was.

And if he did why would he mistakenly use it?

If Fritz used a caret it would have been orange  and huge......  And he would have used it in a threatening manner ...like threatening to insert it in a suspect's nose.....

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 01:31:49 PM »
This attempt at changing what FBI Agent Hosty wrote is quite similar to Hosty trying to change the words on DPD Detective Jack Revill's memo to Captain Ganaway ......Hosty acknowledges that he told Detective Revill everything that Revill wrote in the memo ...except.. the last paragraph...  Which says...

" Agent Hosty further stated that the Federal Bureau of Investigation was aware of the subject ( Oswald) and they had information that the subject ( Oswald) was capable of committing the assassination of President Kennedy."

Hosty denied saying that to Revill....  But he cannot explain why Revill would write that if he (Hosty ) hadn't said it.

Similarly the note about the rifle says what it says....."Mr Truly had rifle and two others"

It may help to add an adjective  to the truncated entry....  Mr Truly had (THIS) rifle and two others...or...Mr Truly had ( THE) rifle and two others......   

If Hosty had been referring to TWO other men when he wrote..."  Mr Truly had  rifle and two others..." Then when he referred to that note in writing his report why did he simply refer to those others as "individuals" and not specifically TWO other men.??

Here's how Hosty  transcribed the information ...

"Oswald stated that he had observed a MR. Truly  ( phonetic) a supervisor at the Texas Schoolbook Depository on Wednesday November 20, 1963, display a rifle, to some individuals in his office on the first floor of the Texas Schoolbook Depository, but denied ever owning a rifle himself."

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 01:31:49 PM »

Offline Steve Thomas

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 02:52:25 PM »
Can someone post Hosty's note without the top line cut off, or least give me a citation where I can go look at it?
Does that top line read 3:15, or 2:15?

Thanks,

Steve Thomas

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
Can someone post Hosty's note without the top line cut off, or least give me a citation where I can go look at it?
Does that top line read 3:15, or 2:15?

Thanks,

Steve Thomas

The time that Hosty wrote at the very top of the page is 3:15....(He verifies that time in his book  Assignment: Oswald.)

Hosty must have had Lee Oswald's rooming house address BEFORE the interrogation began because his first entry is "1026 N. Beckley room"  then the next item is "2515 W. 5th Irving "

Fritz tried to make it appear as though Lee Oswald was uncooperative and he tried to conceal the address of the rooming house....

Hosty had those addresses before Fritz started questioning Lee.....

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:07:08 PM by Walt Cakebread »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »

Offline Steve Thomas

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 06:38:27 PM »
The time that Hosty wrote at the very top of the page is 3:15....(He verifies that time in his book  Assignment: Oswald.)

Hosty must have had Lee Oswald's rooming house address BEFORE the interrogation began because his first entry is "1026 N. Beckley room"  then the next item is "2515 W. 5th Irving "

Fritz tried to make it appear as though Lee Oswald was uncooperative and he tried to conceal the address of the rooming house....

Hosty had those addresses before Fritz started questioning Lee.....

Walt,

Not necessarily.
The 3:15 time matches Fritz's interrogation notes.
Police detectives had already been dispatched to Beckley 35 minutes before that at 2:40.
In his Report to Curry, Revill wrote that he met Hosty in the basement at 2:50.

Fritz told the WC that an officer, whose name he could not recall, had told him of the Beckley address before he (Fritz) went in to talk to Oswald at 2:20.

Somebody at the police station called the Dallas FBI and told them that LHO had been arrested. Hosty recognized the name. Shanklin called Washington, and Washington told Shanklin to have Hosty get his butt down there. Washington also called Fritz to hold the questioning until Hosty could get there.

Hosty (4H461)
Shortly after 2 o'clock, we received information that this man had been captured and taken to the Dallas Police Department. One of our agents called from the Dallas Police Department and identified this man as Lee Harvey Oswald. I immediately recognized the name.

Mr. HOSTY. Right. There are no regional offices. I then took the file to the agent in charge, told him that we had a case on Lee Harvey Oswald. While I sat there he immediately called headquarters and advised headquarters here in Washington, D.C., that Lee Harvey Oswald was under arrest down at Dallas and had been observed shooting a police officer. They had eyewitnesses to his killing of Officer Tippit.
Mr. STERN. How do you know that?
Mr. HOSTY. This had been given to us by one of our agents from the call from the Dallas Police Department who had given the information. I don't know who it was. I did not receive the call.

It is possible that whoever called the FBI "shortly after 2:00", also told them of the Beckley address, but without knowing who made the call from DPD, or who took the call at the FBI, it's impossible to know.

On the other hand, I find it very hard to believe that Hosty never criss-crossed the phone number that he said Ruth Paine gave him on November 5th.

Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas