Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
Walt Cakebread, Mark Ulrik and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

Author Topic: The Warren Caster Story In Brief  (Read 1484 times)

Online Rob Caprio

The Warren Caster Story In Brief
« on: November 06, 2018, 10:14:51 PM »
Does anyone find it odd that Warren Caster purchased a pair of rifles on 11/20/63 and President John F.  Kennedy (JFK) was assassinated on 11/22/63? Mr. Caster worked on the second floor of the building and he said he purchased a .22 Remington rifle on this day at lunch as Christmas present for his son.  He also noticed and liked a .30-06 Sporterized Mauser so he purchased it for himself.

The Warren Commission (WC) would question him about this on May 14, 1964, but seemed rather disinterested in how a man had two rifles in the building the president was allegedly shot from just 2 days later.  They limited his testimony to just a page and a half.

I can think of quite a few questions I have that have not been answered about this incident. Why was Warren Caster thinking of Christmas when Thanksgiving had not even come yet?  Why did it seem like Christmas was the reason he was told to mention? Why did he bring weapons into the TSBD when no one had ever done this before in the company's history?

Mr. CASTER. Well, I left the Depository during the noon hour and had lunch and, while out for the lunch hour, I stopped by Sanger-Harris sporting goods department to look for a rifle for my son's birthday--- I beg your pardon, Christmas present—son's Christmas present, and while I was there I purchased the single-shot .22--single shot--and at the same time was looking at some deer rifles. I had, oh, for several years been thinking about buying a deer rifle and they happened to have one that I liked and I purchased the .30-06 while I was there. (VII, p. 387)

Now we all make mistakes, but it seems odd since he repeats Christmas present twice. Could he be fibbing here?

He then said he took them out of the cartons they were in and he showed them to Roy Truly and a few others.

Mr. BALL. And did they box them up?

Mr. CASTER. They were in cartons; yes.

Mr. BALL. And then you went back to work, I guess?

Mr. CASTER. Yes; I picked both rifles up in cartons just like they were, this was during the noon hour, and as I entered the Texas School Book Depository Building on my way up to the buying office, I stopped by Mr. Truly's office, and while I was there we examined the two rifles that I had purchased.

Mr. BALL. Did you take them out of the carton?

Mr. CASTER. Yes; I did. (VII, p. 387)

Why did he say he went back to work when he didn't?  He instead headed for Roy Truly's office (the same man who was involved in hiring Lee Harvey Oswald (LHO) and saying LHO was the only one who did not return to work after the assassination) to show him the rifles.

The very next question shows this was discussed at some point prior to this testimony and this may not be sinister, but it is good to know.

Mr. BALL. Who was there besides you and Mr. Truly?

Mr. CASTER. Well, I'm not really sure who was there. I think you were there, Bill, and Mr. Shelley was there---and Mr. Roy Truly. The only people that I know about, in any event, were there; there were workersbthere at the time, but I'm not quite sure how many. I couldn't even tell you their names. I don't know the Texas School Book Depository (TSBD) workers there in the shipping department.

How did Mr. Ball know there were other people there?  True, maybe he didn't and he was just checking, but isn't the proper way to do that is to say "Was there anyone else there?"

Notice Mr. Caster's answer.  What does he mean when he said "I think YOU were there?"  Is he talking about Mr. Ball? Why would Mr. Ball be there? Does anyone know if Mr. Ball was a lawyer for the TSBD or any of the companies that leased space in the TSBD?

Notice how another key figure in this case, Billy Lovelady, was there to check out the rifles too.  Now, there is no evidence I have seen to show he was directly involved, but it is odd that the man who looked similar to LHO was there at this exact time with Truly and Shelley. Both of them (Shelley and Lovelady) just happened to be on the front steps at the time of the shooting supposedly too.  I am not saying any of this is sinister in and of itself, but doesn't this raise questions for you?  It does for me, so why did it not raise them for the WC and warrant a little more attention than this?

Another question I have that I can't seem to find the answer to (and if anyone knows please let me know) is this -- how old was Mr. Caster's son?  Does anyone know if he was old enough to be using a Remington .22?

Mr. Caster said he would box them up and then take them home, but of course we have nothing to go on about this other than his word for it.  He would also have a pressing appointment on 11/22/63 that took him to Denton, TX (about 35 miles north of Dallas) and far away from the TSBD.  Perhaps this was setup before the 22nd, but did anyone bother to check?  I mean this man purchased two rifles just two days before the assassination supposedly due to Christmas which was over a month away, and then he had a meeting out of town the day the assassination occurred?  Again, maybe this is the truth, but shouldn't someone have at least checked this out for us?

It isn't just the purchase of the rifles that is suspicious, but also the kinds of rifles.  The throat wound JFK suffered was rather small and could have been caused by a .22.  Furthermore, a Mauser was the first weapon found in the TSBD by the police.  The conclusion of somefolks on the HSCA was that a Mauser was definitely used.  Jim Garrison reported in his research and work that a Mauser was found on the roof of the TSBD by the polilce.  This special Mauser he purchased was "Sporterized" which meant two things -- it fired .30.06 bullets and it could handles soft type ammo that can fragment on impact.  There would be numerous evidence showing a .30 caliber weapon (at least one) was used and the damage to JFK's head showed us a fragmentation type bullet was used as opposed to a FMJ type.

Does anyone else agree or disagree that this should have been investigated further?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:19:51 PM by Rob Caprio »

JFK Assassination Forum

The Warren Caster Story In Brief
« on: November 06, 2018, 10:14:51 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

Re: The Warren Caster Story In Brief
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 10:59:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Notice Mr. Caster's answer.  What does he mean when he said "I think YOU were there?"  Is he talking about Mr. Ball? Why would Mr. Ball be there? Does anyone know if Mr. Ball was a lawyer for the TSBD or any of the companies that leased space in the TSBD?

Interesting.  That would imply that Shelley was present when Caster was testifying.  Why?   Couldn't that influence his later testimony?

Another question I have that I can't seem to find the answer to (and if anyone knows please let me know) is this -- how old was Mr. Caster's son?  Does anyone know if he was old enough to be using a Remington .22?

The Texas Birth Index shows Warren David Caster born to Warren Dee Caster and Ruthanna Walz on 11 Oct 1954.

Online Walt Cakebread

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 11:30:18 PM »
Interesting.  That would imply that Shelley was present when Caster was testifying.  Why?   Couldn't that influence his later testimony?

The Texas Birth Index shows Warren David Caster born to Warren Dee Caster and Ruthanna Walz on 11 Oct 1954.

Is this the same Warren Caster?....  Born in 1954 ?   He would have been 19 Years Old ( Just one month after his 19th birthday anniversary in November 1963)    I had assumed that "Mr Caster" was an older man...

Online Walt Cakebread

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 12:08:56 AM »
Does anyone find it odd that Warren Caster purchased a pair of rifles on 11/20/63 and President John F.  Kennedy (JFK) was assassinated on 11/22/63? Mr. Caster worked on the second floor of the building and he said he purchased a .22 Remington rifle on this day at lunch as Christmas present for his son.  He also noticed and liked a .30-06 Sporterized Mauser so he purchased it for himself.

The Warren Commission (WC) would question him about this on May 14, 1964, but seemed rather disinterested in how a man had two rifles in the building the president was allegedly shot from just 2 days later.  They limited his testimony to just a page and a half.

I can think of quite a few questions I have that have not been answered about this incident. Why was Warren Caster thinking of Christmas when Thanksgiving had not even come yet?  Why did it seem like Christmas was the reason he was told to mention? Why did he bring weapons into the TSBD when no one had ever done this before in the company's history?

Mr. CASTER. Well, I left the Depository during the noon hour and had lunch and, while out for the lunch hour, I stopped by Sanger-Harris sporting goods department to look for a rifle for my son's birthday--- I beg your pardon, Christmas present—son's Christmas present, and while I was there I purchased the single-shot .22--single shot--and at the same time was looking at some deer rifles. I had, oh, for several years been thinking about buying a deer rifle and they happened to have one that I liked and I purchased the .30-06 while I was there. (VII, p. 387)

Now we all make mistakes, but it seems odd since he repeats Christmas present twice. Could he be fibbing here?

He then said he took them out of the cartons they were in and he showed them to Roy Truly and a few others.

Mr. BALL. And did they box them up?

Mr. CASTER. They were in cartons; yes.

Mr. BALL. And then you went back to work, I guess?

Mr. CASTER. Yes; I picked both rifles up in cartons just like they were, this was during the noon hour, and as I entered the Texas School Book Depository Building on my way up to the buying office, I stopped by Mr. Truly's office, and while I was there we examined the two rifles that I had purchased.

Mr. BALL. Did you take them out of the carton?

Mr. CASTER. Yes; I did. (VII, p. 387)

Why did he say he went back to work when he didn't?  He instead headed for Roy Truly's office (the same man who was involved in hiring Lee Harvey Oswald (LHO) and saying LHO was the only one who did not return to work after the assassination) to show him the rifles.

The very next question shows this was discussed at some point prior to this testimony and this may not be sinister, but it is good to know.

Mr. BALL. Who was there besides you and Mr. Truly?

Mr. CASTER. Well, I'm not really sure who was there. I think you were there, Bill, and Mr. Shelley was there---and Mr. Roy Truly. The only people that I know about, in any event, were there; there were workersbthere at the time, but I'm not quite sure how many. I couldn't even tell you their names. I don't know the Texas School Book Depository (TSBD) workers there in the shipping department.

How did Mr. Ball know there were other people there?  True, maybe he didn't and he was just checking, but isn't the proper way to do that is to say "Was there anyone else there?"

Notice how another key figure in this case, Billy Lovelady, was there to check out the rifles too.  Now, there is no evidence I have seen to show he was directly involved, but it is odd that the man who looked similar to LHO was there at this exact time with Truly and Shelley. Both of them (Shelley and Lovelady) just happened to be on the front steps at the time of the shooting supposedly too.  I am not saying any of this is sinister in and of itself, but doesn't this raise questions for you?  It does for me, so why did it not raise them for the WC and warrant a little more attention than this?

Mr. Caster said he would box them up and then take them home, but of course we have nothing to go on about this other than his word for it.  He would also have a pressing appointment on 11/22/63 that took him to Denton, TX (about 35 miles north of Dallas) and far away from the TSBD.  Perhaps this was setup before the 22nd, but did anyone bother to check?  I mean this man purchased two rifles just two days before the assassination supposedly due to Christmas which was over a month away, and then he had a meeting out of town the day the assassination occurred?  Again, maybe this is the truth, but shouldn't someone have at least checked this out for us?

It isn't just the purchase of the rifles that is suspicious, but also the kinds of rifles.  The throat wound JFK suffered was rather small and could have been caused by a .22.  Furthermore, a Mauser was the first weapon found in the TSBD by the police.  The conclusion of somefolks on the HSCA was that a Mauser was definitely used.  Jim Garrison reported in his research and work that a Mauser was found on the roof of the TSBD by the polilce.  This special Mauser he purchased was "Sporterized" which meant two things -- it fired .30.06 bullets and it could handles soft type ammo that can fragment on impact.  There would be numerous evidence showing a .30 caliber weapon (at least one) was used and the damage to JFK's head showed us a fragmentation type bullet was used as opposed to a FMJ type.

Does anyone else agree or disagree that this should have been investigated further?

The below was posted by a person who does NOT know what he's talking about....

a Mauser was the first weapon found in the TSBD by the police.

Please provide evidence to verify the above statement.

The conclusion of somefolks on the HSCA was that a Mauser was definitely used.

Who on the HSCA  concluded that a mauser had been the murder weapon?.... And how did they arrive at that conclusion?    Do you realize that this would be a complete exoneration of Lee Oswald, and a total refutation of the finding of LBJ's Special Blue Ribbon Committee?   

Jim Garrison reported in his research and work that a Mauser was found on the roof of the TSBD by the polilce.

That's what Roger Craig told Garrison.....Nobody has ever verified that there was a Mauser found anywhere near the scene on 11/22/63.
There's no doubt that Seymour Weitzman examined a 7.65 Mauser that had a scope mounted on it at some time that weekend ...And apparently Captain Fritz had that Mauser in his possession .... But beyond that there is no information.

it fired .30.06 bullets and it could handles soft type ammo that can fragment on impact. 

A Mauser doesn't need to be "Sporterized"  to enable it to fire soft nosed bullets.....Mauser ammo is readily available with soft nosed projectiles.

There would be numerous evidence showing a .30 caliber weapon (at least one) was used

Please present the evidence that shows that a 30 caliber weapon was used.

the damage to JFK's head showed us a fragmentation type bullet was used as opposed to a FMJ type.[/b][/i]

You're right in saying that a FMJ was NOT the projectile that caused the massive wound on JFK's head...But you're wrong in saying the bullet fragmented....Be cause if the bullet had fragmented there would have been fragments in the brain and inside the skull...   The bullet that caused the damage was a "special" custom bullet ....probably a mercury filled projectile.....And probably smaller than a 30 caliber bullet.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:24:08 AM by Walt Cakebread »

Online Walt Cakebread

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 12:40:13 AM »

That would imply that Shelley was present when Caster was testifying.

How did you conclude that "Bill" was Bill Shelley?....

I totally agree with Rob that Caster's story is highly implausible ......   I believe he was lying and the police actually helped him in creating the lie.

However..... Rob is trying to build a brick house on a site of quick sand.....  A pity.   

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 12:40:13 AM »

Online Ray Mitcham

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 09:54:43 AM »

Is this the same Warren Caster?....  Born in 1954 ?   He would have been 19 Years Old ( Just one month after his 19th birthday anniversary in November 1963)    I had assumed that "Mr Caster" was an older man...

9 years old, Walt.

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 11:03:38 AM »

Ray corrected your math.... and the Casters had two sons. There is no actual evidence to prompt Mr. Caprio's
concerns about Warren Caster's culpability either in the Assassination or cover up.

…Ruthanna Walz Caster, 93, passed away Sunday, March 21, 2010, ..
…Mrs. Caster married Warren Dee Caster in Las Vegas, NM in Jan. 1938 where he was attending Highland University and she was working as a Harvey Girl - single, well-mannered, and educated ladies who staffed the Fred Harvey restaurants which served the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad. They were married for 63 years and spent most of their married life in New Mexico and Texas and truly loved the Southwest. They moved to Wilmington, NC in Nov. 1996 to be closer to their sons...
…Mrs. Caster is survived by her sister, Rosemary Walz Estes of Atchison, KS; sons William A. Caster (Diane) and Warren D. Caster (Cindy) of ..

Name:
William A Caster

Birth Date:
29 Jun 1940
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:30:55 AM by Tom Scully »

Online Walt Cakebread

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
9 years old, Walt.

Yes ....I should have checked myself....  Thank you.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »

Online Walt Cakebread

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 01:10:49 PM »
Ray corrected your math.... and the Casters had two sons. There is no actual evidence to prompt Mr. Caprio's
concerns about Warren Caster's culpability either in the Assassination or cover up.

Hey Tom...Since you enjoy genealogy.....Do you know if the Army Officer named "Col Robert Caster" is/was related to Warren Caster? 

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »
Hey Tom...Since you enjoy genealogy.....Do you know if the Army Officer named "Col Robert Caster" is/was related to Warren Caster?

According to his brother's 2012 obit, Col. L Robert Castorr was the son of Italian immigrant Romeo Castorri.
LINK DELETED: Links To websites which contain materials unsuitable for viewing by minors is forbidden/topic/6901-l-robert-castorr/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-262825
(Unfortunately, links to Ed Forum posts are automatically altered by this forum, labeled unsuitable for minors, and rendered unreachable)

…..Larry David Castle, 97, of Fort Lauderdale, Florida passed away on September 16, 2012 at Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale.

He was bon in Detroit, Michigan on June 28, 1915, a son of Romeo and Corina (Fioretto) Castorri. He was raised and educated in Detroit and served in the Untied States Army during WW II.

Larry was a renowned Big Band Vocalist ….

Sunday, April 10, 2005
…….
L. Robert Castorr Association Executive 

L. Robert Castorr, 92, a retired executive with a number of business groups and a retired colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve, died April 7 after a heart attack at National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda. 

Mr. Castorr, a resident of Bethesda, was born in Detroit and enlisted in the Army Reserve at age 18 in 1930. He served in the Civilian Conservation Corps for a year, then after further military training and education moved to active duty in 1940.
….
...and something for the Rod Serling fans amongst our readers!:
…Mrs. TOBIAS. With Mr. Oswald--that's right. We are managers of the apartment house--that's right.
Mr. JENNER. And we would like to ask you a few questions about that, if I may?
Mrs. TOBIAS. Okay; I will be glad to help you all I can.
Mr. JENNER. That is wonderful and I appreciate that very much. Would you give me just a little bit of your history?
Mrs. TOBIAS. My history--what do you mean?
Mr. JENNER. Are you a native American, and where were you born and so forth?
Mr.s TOBIAS. Yes; I was born in Arkansas. I have lived in Dallas, Tex., 12 years, but I have been all over the United States. I raised my family in Michigan. I married in Michigan.
 Mr. JENNER. What town in Michigan?

Mrs. TOBIAS. Battle Creek--my husband is from Michigan and I went there as a bride and I raised my family in Michigan, and we have been back here 12 years. We have been in Dallas--back in Dallas about 12 years--well, we have been back about 14 years, but in Dallas, Tex., you mean, for 12 years.
Mr. JENNER. Your husband is retired now?
Mrs. TOBIAS. Yes; my husband was in construction and during the war he worked for the government. We were just all over, but, of course, he broke his back--it will be 14 years ago in August, and he worked up until 5 years ago, so he had to give up 5 years ago, and he is on social security, of course, and that's why we manage these apartments.
Mr. JENNER. And you have been primarily a mother raising a brood of five boys and a housewife and also help your husband manage some apartments?
Mrs. TOBIAS. That's right.
Mr. JENNER. And in connection with the management of the apartments, is that how you had your contact with Mr. Oswald?
Mrs. TOBIAS. With Mr. Oswald--that's right--he had one of the apartments.
Mr. JENNER. Located where?
Mrs. TOBIAS. Now, he was in 604--602 and 604--just like this is 604 over here and 602 is down here and there is one down and one up. Mr. Oswald lived in 604 and we live over here in 602 and it faces Elsbeth. Do you want a description of it?
Nannie Mae Turner Tobias
BIRTH   23 Feb 1900
Thornton, Calhoun County, Arkansas, USA
DEATH   16 Jun 1969 (aged 69)
Dallas, Dallas County, Texas, USA
….
Buried on June 18, 1969.

She died in John Buist Chester Hospital.

Home at death: 4416 San Jacinto, Apt. 10, Dallas.

Her parents were Benjermin Turner & Delphia Ann Hardin.

Source of above information: Death Certificate

Her husband was Mahlon Forrest Tobias, Sr. (He died in Dallas on June 11, 1977.)

She and her husband became famous by being associated with the President John F. Kennedy assassination. They managed 10 apartments on the corner of Elsbeth & West Davis. In late 1962, they rented Apt. 2, 604 Elsbeth, to Lee Harvey Oswald. They lived in Apt. 7, and had much observation of Oswald and his family. Both testified to the Warren Commission ("Hearings", Volume X, Pages 231 - 264) (Her testimony is on Pages 231 - 251.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:12:09 PM by Tom Scully »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »