Author Topic: A "mauser" by any other name...  (Read 23875 times)

Online Michael Capasse

Re: A "mauser" by any other name...
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2017, 08:34:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
But there ARE dozens of photos that clearly show the rifle is a Model 91/38 Mannlicher Carcano short rifle.......

I'll say it again
I don't claim a 7.65 Mauser was found in addition to or instead of

Perhaps you're right and a Mauser was substituted for the in-Situ photos
Perhaps it was Mr Castell's Mauser he said he was going to hide till Xmas
Perhaps a 7.65 Mauser was found then switched is an MC

whatever it is
I have a major problem with Sheriffs not able to figure out the type of rifle; when it is clearly written on the gun
And the caliber should be the first thing they look for; it is written on the cartridge Fritz takes from the gun

Discussing something in a circle is one thing
BUT these men went back to the office and swore these into affidavits then continued writing it up to 3 days
....and something stinks of a coverup when these documents are not mentioned in the WCR summary

A disgrace that in the investigation into the murder of a President of the United States
and the only sworn affidavits by any police officer involved in it's finding describe the rifle as a Mauser

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:16:04 PM
by Michael Capasse
»

Online Walt Cakebread

« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2017, 09:27:41 PM »
I'll say it again
I don't claim a 7.65 Mauser was found in addition to or instead of

Perhaps you're right and a Mauser was substituted for the in-Situ photos
Perhaps it was Mr Castell's Mauser he said he was going to hide in the building
Perhaps a 7.65 Mauser was found then switched is an MC

whatever it is
I have a major problem with Sheriffs not able to figure out the type of rifle; when it is clearly written on the gun
And the caliber should be the first thing they look for; it is written on the cartridge Fritz takes from the gun

Discussing something in a circle is one thing
BUT these men went back to the office and swore these into affidavits then continued writing it up to 3 days
....and something stinks of a coverup when these documents are not mentioned in the WCR summary

A disgrace that in the investigation into the murder of a President of the United States
and the only sworn affidavits by any police officer involved in it's finding lists the rifle as a Mauser

You give Law officers too much credit...... Some of them are pretty stupid about guns......  And there was NOTHING on the rifle to identify it....

Normally some type of identification is stamped on the receiver .....But in the case of the carcano there isn't much to disclose the manufacturer ...

there was the numbers C 2766---   1940 --- and the word   TERNI  stamped on the rear of the barrel and---  and the number 6.5 stamped on the rear sight ......the words MADE ITALY were stamped on the barrel near the front sight and they were not very noticeable.....  ( rifles are not generally stamped on the front of the barrel).  I can understand why they were guessing that it might have been a mauser......

Online Michael Capasse

« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »

You give Law officers too much credit...... Some of them are pretty stupid about guns......  And there was NOTHING on the rifle to identify it....

Normally some type of identification is stamped on the receiver .....But in the case of the carcano there isn't much to disclose the manufacturer ...

there was the numbers C 2766---   1940 --- and the word   TERNI  stamped on the rear of the barrel and---  and the number 6.5 stamped on the rear sight ......the words MADE ITALY were stamped on the barrel near the front sight and they were not very noticeable.....  ( rifles are not generally stamped on the front of the barrel).  I can understand why they were guessing that it might have been a mauser......

I don't find it as something so easily dismissed
given everything else in this case

Online Walt Cakebread

« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »
I don't find it as something so easily dismissed
given everything else in this case

I don't mean to dismiss it completely....There definitely was a 7.65 mauser in the tapestry of the story...no doubt about that....But it was NOT a mauser that was discovered in the bright beam of Boones flash light in that cavern of boxes.....

Online Michael Capasse

« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2017, 10:07:55 PM »

You give Law officers too much credit...... Some of them are pretty stupid about guns......  And there was NOTHING on the rifle to identify it....

there was the numbers C 2766---   1940 --- and the word   TERNI  stamped on the rear of the barrel and---  and the number 6.5 stamped on the rear sight ......the words MADE ITALY were stamped on the barrel near the front sight and they were not very noticeable.....  ( rifles are not generally stamped on the front of the barrel).  I can understand why they were guessing that it might have been a mauser......

CE 541 is about the markings on the rifle
(here is one upside down)

Looks pretty big to me
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:08:52 PM
by Michael Capasse
»

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:28 PM »
How does someone just "glance" at a rifle and determine the size of its ammunition?

Online Michael Capasse

« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:08 PM »
How does someone just "glance" at a rifle and determine the size of its ammunition?

And doesn't it seem unbelievable that 5 guys - cops - don't think to look for caliber first.
...and then Weitzman is still there when Fritz ejects the shell

Fritz looks at the shell and calls the caliber out loud
..and yet Weitzman  & Boone write the very specific number 7.65