Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Roger Craig  (Read 103592 times)

Offline Walt Cakebread

Re: Roger Craig
« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2020, 04:47:06 PM »
Advertisement
Roger Craig made a statement that he saw the inscription "7.65 Mauser" on a recovered rifle.

Roger Craig made a statement that he saw the inscription "7.65 Mauser" on a recovered rifle.

I believe that Roger made that statement many years after the assassination.....  If he had seen a rifle that was stamped 7.65 mauser  it's highly improbable that he would have waited ten years ( or whatever duration) to make that statement.   

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2020, 04:47:06 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2020, 06:32:40 PM »
The only place where Craig could have seen a mauser if it had been there was in the NW corner of the sixth floor....

If you're speculating that Weitzman saw a Mauser back at the station, then why couldn't Craig have seen the same one?

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2020, 06:37:07 PM »
Weitzman said in a sworn affidavit that he was mistaken....He caught only a quick glimpse of the carcano and thought it was a 7.65 mauser.

You of all people should know that swearing an affidavit doesn't make something true.  Roger Craig didn't tow the line and he paid the price.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2020, 06:37:07 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2020, 06:39:17 PM »
Mr. WEITZMAN - And at the time I looked at it, I believe I said it was 2.5 scope on it and I believe I said it was a Weaver but it wasn't; it turned out to be anything but a Weaver, but that was at a glance.

When did Weitzman ever say it was a Weaver?

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #244 on: April 22, 2020, 07:00:48 PM »

Don't know..... But I'd guess that he was referring to the mauser examination.....Because I doubt that he could have made that WAG at the time that Lt Day picked up the Carcano FROM THE FLOOR and held it up to Capt Fritz.     I wish I could figger out what the reason that they gave Weitzman a mauser to examine and describe.

It's possible that the senile Fritz became confused when one of his detectives brought the Mauser in from ( the Daltex?) and thought that it was the carcano from the sixth floor......

You may recall that during the early stages of the investigation the authorities were telling reporters that Lee was the leader of a band of communists, so they may have thought that the mauser was the weapon of one of Lee's communist accomplices.     

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #244 on: April 22, 2020, 07:00:48 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2020, 12:30:51 AM »

I believe that Roger made that statement many years after the assassination.....  If he had seen a rifle that was stamped 7.65 mauser  it's highly improbable that he would have waited ten years ( or whatever duration) to make that statement.

Roger Craig was always adamant about finding a 7.65 Mauser and not a Mannlicher-Carcano.

Weitzman changed his mind and later stated it was a Mannlicher-Carcano.

Craig talked with a reporter a few years later telling the same story and was fired from the Police Department.

Offline Gary Craig

« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2020, 04:45:14 AM »

I couldn't find anything other than that statement.

I wonder if there is another affidavit that disappeared that mentions a Weaver scope.

Boone's affidavits/reports are dated 11/22, Weitzman's 11/23. 

Maybe he re-did his affidavit/reports on 11/23 and the FBI sent over Special Agent Sayers to make sure he got it right.

If he did mistake the Carcano for a Mauser, or at least wanted people to think he did, the one part of the set up he wouldn't have shouldn't have got wrong, based on the detail in his description, was the Japanese made scope. IMO

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2020, 04:45:14 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2020, 04:09:58 PM »
I couldn't find anything other than that statement.

I wonder if there is another affidavit that disappeared that mentions a Weaver scope.

Boone's affidavits/reports are dated 11/22, Weitzman's 11/23. 

Maybe he re-did his affidavit/reports on 11/23 and the FBI sent over Special Agent Sayers to make sure he got it right.

If he did mistake the Carcano for a Mauser, or at least wanted people to think he did, the one part of the set up he wouldn't have shouldn't have got wrong, based on the detail in his description, was the Japanese made scope. IMO

Unfortunately we don't have a photo of the mauser so we can see what the scope on the mauser looked like ......  But we can safely assume that it wasn't very distinctive .....  It would have been stupendous if Weitzman had said that the scope on the mauser was a large and powerful scope ( Like Arnold Rowland described)