Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Roger Craig  (Read 101186 times)

Offline Jerry Freeman

Re: Roger Craig
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2020, 10:04:26 PM »
Advertisement

Jerry, these rifles are not MANUFACTURED as 30.06 ....These are custom rifles using the Mauser action and a 30.06 barrel.....
Isn't that what sporterizing is? Modifying or converting?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporterising.
Anyway I took the Warren Caster affair to that other thread.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2020, 10:04:26 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2020, 05:29:38 PM »
Isn't that what sporterizing is? Modifying or converting?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporterising.
Anyway I took the Warren Caster affair to that other thread.

Jeeez Jerry!.....  Yes sporterizing is the act of converting a military rifle into a high powered big game hunting rifle.  BUT nobody would simply change the barrel to convert a 7.65 Mauser and leave the rest of the rifle with the military trappings.     

If Warren Caster had a sporterized military rifle that was customized to utilize the 30.06 cartridge ....  Then you can bet that the rifle no longer looked like military rifle.

Mr. BALL. And what kind of guns were they?
Mr. CASTER. One gun was a Remington, single-shot, .22 rifle, and the other was a .30-06 sporterized Mauser.

the other was a .30-06 sporterized Mauser.

I guess I read that differently than you....  As I see it that says.... The rifle was a 30.06 Mauser that was sporterized....   While you apparent interpret it as saying The rifle was a metric mauser that had been sporterized ( converted ) to fire the 30.06 cartridge.  ( and honestly I do believe that is what Caster intended to say...But it certainly is not what he said.)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 05:50:23 PM by Walt Cakebread »

Offline Gerry Down

« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2020, 12:58:23 AM »
Jeeez Jerry!.....  Yes sporterizing is the act of converting a military rifle into a high powered big game hunting rifle.  BUT nobody would simply change the barrel to convert a 7.65 Mauser and leave the rest of the rifle with the military trappings.     

If Warren Caster had a sporterized military rifle that was customized to utilize the 30.06 cartridge ....  Then you can bet that the rifle no longer looked like military rifle.

Mr. CASTER. One gun was a Remington, single-shot, .22 rifle, and the other was a .30-06 sporterized Mauser.

I guess I read that differently than you....  As I see it that says.... The rifle was a 30.06 Mauser that was sporterized....   While you apparent interpret it as saying The rifle was a metric mauser that had been sporterized ( converted ) to fire the 30.06 cartridge.  ( and honestly I do believe that is what Caster intended to say...But it certainly is not what he said.)

Where was Mr caster at the time of the assassination i wonder. He should have been considered a suspect, even if only a very slight possibility of being the shooter.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2020, 12:58:23 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2020, 01:56:24 AM »
Where was Mr caster at the time of the assassination i wonder. He should have been considered a suspect, even if only a very slight possibility of being the shooter.

I believe that Warren Caster had solid alibi for his whereabouts at the time of the murder.....A better question would be WHERE was his mauser??

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2020, 05:22:41 AM »
I believe that Warren Caster had solid alibi for his whereabouts at the time of the murder.....A better question would be WHERE was his mauser??

I don’t know how solid it was, but he claimed to be at North Texas State University in Denton, TX having lunch with Dr. Vernon V. Payne.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:23:51 AM by John Iacoletti »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2020, 05:22:41 AM »

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2020, 10:58:22 AM »
I don’t know how solid it was, but he claimed to be at North Texas State University in Denton, TX having lunch with Dr. Vernon V. Payne.

Not solid at all, according to Caster's recollection.....

http://web.archive.org/web/20070407094020/http://www.dealeyplazauk.co.uk/Meeting%20Warren%20Caster.htm
Meeting Warren Caster - by Rick Caster

Warren Commission testimony

In March 1964, Warren was contacted by Special Agent E.J. Robertson, of the Dallas FBI. Robertson told Warren that he had to ask him some questions on behalf of the President’s Commission which had been set up to establish the facts pertaining to the death of President Kennedy. Warren attended the questioning, which was carried out at the Post Office Building in Dallas, and he answered the agent’s questions to the best of his ability.

Shortly afterwards, on the afternoon of 14th May 1964, Warren again attended at Room 301 of the Post Office Building where he testified before Joseph A. Ball, an Assistant Counsel with the President’s Commission (commonly known as the Warren Commission). I specifically asked Warren how he was treated by Mr Ball during his testimony. Warren replied: “He was very polite and acted as though he did not want to impose on me. I just answered what he asked me and that was that.” (Warren’s testimony is at 7H 386-388).

Warren did bring up one interesting point about his testimony. To his knowledge, the Warren Commission never confirmed his alibi with Dr Payne or with anyone else at the University. As Warren said: “They got off my back pretty quick.” He was never contacted again.

Warren continued to work at the TSBD for a further eight years, being promoted to the position of Manager of the Southwestern Publishing Company. He eventually moved on to become the Regional Vice-President before retiring in 1983...
Obits of Warren Dee Caster, of his wife, and of his brother. (Links in that order.) :
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=20010924&id=2wJPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Th8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=4544,2852046
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/starnewsonline/obituary.aspx?n=ruthanna-walz-caster&pid=141082166
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=CASTER&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=34&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=54204920&df=all&[/quote]

Offline Gary Craig

« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2020, 07:00:58 PM »

Quotes from a gun forum discussing Argentine Mausers.

"My son was given a 1903 (Argentine?) Mauser chambered in .30-06. All serial numbers, including barell, matched. The barell
appears to be factory marked as .30-06. It doesn't shoot worth a crap, and the casings show "ridges" on the shoulder as if
the chamber reamer was really worn out. Any suggestions for a decnnt fix? I thought maybe rechambering to .30-06 A I might
be plausible."

"The Argentine mauser is considered the finest mauser action ever built. However they were chamber in the 7.65 Argentine
cartridge. This was a .312" diameter bulleted cartridge. This cartrige was the same head size as the 30-06, but the Argentine
cartridge was shorter. Since ammo was scarce and expensive, many importers simply rechambered them for the 30-06, leaving the
barrel .312" diameter. The 30-06 being .308" diameter the bullets were rather loose going down the barrel."

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2020, 07:00:58 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2020, 07:07:21 PM »
Quotes from a gun forum discussing Argentine Mausers.

"My son was given a 1903 (Argentine?) Mauser chambered in .30-06. All serial numbers, including barell, matched. The barell
appears to be factory marked as .30-06. It doesn't shoot worth a crap, and the casings show "ridges" on the shoulder as if
the chamber reamer was really worn out. Any suggestions for a decnnt fix? I thought maybe rechambering to .30-06 A I might
be plausible."

"The Argentine mauser is considered the finest mauser action ever built. However they were chamber in the 7.65 Argentine
cartridge. This was a .312" diameter bulleted cartridge. This cartrige was the same head size as the 30-06, but the Argentine
cartridge was shorter. Since ammo was scarce and expensive, many importers simply rechambered them for the 30-06, leaving the
barrel .312" diameter. The 30-06 being .308" diameter the bullets were rather loose going down the barrel."

Thank you for confirming my point, That the Argentine mauser never ever was manufactured to fire the 30.06 cartridge....  Many were converted to accept the 30.06 cartridge but the Argie never was manufactured  as a 30.06.