Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Roger Craig  (Read 101211 times)

Offline Jerry Freeman

Re: Roger Craig
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2020, 11:55:16 PM »
Advertisement
Just as an example to show how details will mutate over time....
Seymour Weitzman worked in a sporting goods store for some length of time. He may have sold rifles, pistols, basketballs, & tennis rackets.
Then in recent years... He was as much as actually owning a gun store in some accounts.
From a JFK  blog---
Weitzman clearly changed his story. His sworn affadavit that he saw a German Mauser *after* the rifle discovery was not a ‘loose’ misinterpretation of the facts. He had to dictate the affadavit and present the truth. And that document corroborates deputy Craig’s statement to Mark Lane that, “stamped right on the barrel” were the words “7.65 Mauser”. How could two officers – one, Weitzman, who formerly owner a sporting goods store, have conceivably made such a gross error? Let’s not call a square a round hole here.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2020, 11:55:16 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2020, 12:20:07 AM »
Just as an example to show how details will mutate over time....
Seymour Weitzman worked in a sporting goods store for some length of time. He may have sold rifles, pistols, basketballs, & tennis rackets.
Then in recent years... He was as much as actually owning a gun store in some accounts.
From a JFK  blog---

Weitzman clearly changed his story. His sworn affadavit that he saw a German Mauser *after* the rifle discovery was not a ‘loose’ misinterpretation of the facts. He had to dictate the affadavit and present the truth. And that document corroborates deputy Craig’s statement to Mark Lane that, “stamped right on the barrel” were the words “7.65 Mauser”.

he saw a German Mauser *after* the rifle discovery was not a ‘loose’ misinterpretation of the facts.

I agree that Seymour Weitzman DID in fact see ( and examine )a 7.65 Mauser sometime between 2:30 pm 11/22/63 and 12:00 pm 11/23 /63 ....  The FBI report that was written by FBI agent A1bert  Sawyer on 11/23/63, and the description of the rifle in that report, leaves no doubt that Weitzman was describing a 7.65 Mauser.

So the question becomes..... Who presented a Mauser to Weitzman, and had him describe it for the FBI report??   And what was the motive for getting Weitzman on record as saying the rifle was a mauser?

PS.... What day did Weitzman write the affidavit in which he retracted his identification of the TSBD carcano as a Mauser.?     

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:42:03 PM by Walt Cakebread »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2020, 06:59:30 PM »
I don't believe I ever stated that I thought [one way or another] the rifle was indeed a Mauser. Or ...did I say that I accept anyone's tall tales....the tallest told by the likes of Henry Wade [who I still  loathe after death for my own personal reasons] or J E Hoover [who was probably the most dangerous person this country ever had] or LBJ [maybe the 2nd most]
What 'tale' did Craig tell in his testimony?
He relayed the accounts of Arnold Rowland who testified that he saw a man with a rifle and another guy standing beside him some 15 minutes before the shooting.
That would indicate the probability that there was at least another rifle besides the Carcano that was ultimately produced.
Boone, Weitzman, and Fritz were all in on the Mauser. If a switcheroo did take place, that meant that they all tucked tail and rolled over for Hoover and Johnson. They are all dead now-----------
At this point...no one will ever know for absolutely sure.

Arnold Rowland who testified that he saw a man with a rifle and another guy standing beside him some 15 minutes before the shooting.
That would indicate the probability that there was at least another rifle besides the Carcano that was ultimately produced.

Good Point!!.....   But it wasn't Arnold Rowland alone who saw a rifle that was NOT a Mannlicher Carcano....Howard Brennan also saw a rifle being aimed out of a sixth floor window that he described as a "High Powered Rifle ( ie; a hunting rifle) Brennan told the cop who asked him if he knew what kind of rifle the man was aiming, and Brennan told him that he didn't know much about rifles, but he guessed that the rifle could have been a 30-30 Winchester.   Thus the early DPD radio dispatches said that the suspect was armed with a 30 caliber rifle.   

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2020, 06:59:30 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2020, 05:37:37 AM »
Mr. BALL. Did you ever bring any guns into the School Book Depository Building?
Mr. CASTER. Yes; I did.
Mr. BALL. When?
Mr. CASTER. I believe it was on Wednesday, November 20, during the noon hour.
Mr. BALL. Whose guns were they?
Mr. CASTER. They were my guns.
Mr. BALL. And what kind of guns were they?
Mr. CASTER. One gun was a Remington, single-shot, .22 rifle, and the other was a .30-06 sporterized Mauser.
Mr. BALL. Who owned them?
Mr. CASTER. I had just purchased them during the noon hour that day.

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2020, 07:05:52 PM »

Mr. CASTER. Yes; I did.
Mr. BALL. When?
Mr. CASTER. One gun was a Remington, single-shot, .22 rifle, and the other was a .30-06 sporterized Mauser.

A 30.06 Sporterized Mauser??    When was any Mauser produced in the 30.06 caliber.     I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure that there never ever was a Mauser manufactured that would fire the 30.06 cartridge.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2020, 07:05:52 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2020, 08:03:26 PM »
A 30.06 Sporterized Mauser??    When was any Mauser produced in the 30.06 caliber.     I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure that there never ever was a Mauser manufactured that would fire the 30.06 cartridge.
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=mauser%2030%2006

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2020, 08:31:43 PM »
Mr. CASTER. Yes; I did.
Mr. BALL. When?

Just in case you're thinking of replying to Jerry that rechambered Mausers in 30 "aught six" must be some new thing.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06_Springfield

The .30-06 Springfield cartridge (pronounced "thirty-aught-six"), 7.62×63mm in metric notation and called ".30 Gov't '06" by Winchester,[3] was introduced to the United States Army in 1906 and later standardized; it remained in use until the late-1970s. The ".30" refers to the caliber of the bullet in inches. The "06" refers to the year the cartridge was adopted, 1906. .....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:37:05 PM by Tom Scully »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2020, 08:31:43 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2020, 09:16:31 PM »
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=mauser%2030%2006

Jerry, these rifles are not MANUFACTURED as 30.06 ....These are custom rifles using the Mauser action and a 30.06 barrel.....