Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Roger Craig  (Read 101173 times)

Offline Walt Cakebread

Re: Roger Craig
« Reply #552 on: October 08, 2021, 09:48:09 PM »
Advertisement
You're the Mannlicher expert, you do it.

As far as I'm concerned Oswald was a patsy and provided the Mannlicher not knowing it was going to be used to frame him. That's the point of this rifle - to frame Oswald.
Maybe the Mannlicher was the murder weapon but the shooter wasn't in any particular rush and had plenty of time to stow it in the boxes.
Maybe it was already in the boxes when the shooter used a proper rifle to do the job.
Either way, it doesn't really matter to the overall picture once it is accepted Oswald didn't do the shooting.

Thank you for acknowledging that I'm no neophyte about the mannlicher carcano.    And I've been trying for years to open researchers eyes to the FACT that the rifle was NOT hastily cast aside after the shooting.   I'm sure that the carcano was already in that hiding place beneath the pallet of books at the time the shots were fired. So obviously the carcano was not the murder weapon...Furthermore I don't believe any shots were fire from the sixth floor of the TSBD ....Haward Brennan swore that he saw a man STANDING behind a sixth floor window and the man was dressed like a security guard or deputy sheriff and he was aiming a rifle out of the window, but Brennan did not see the rifle fired. 

the shooter wasn't in any particular rush and had plenty of time to stow it in the boxes.

When the WC re-enacted what they had concluded was Lee Oswald's action's They had Secret Service agent John Howlet play the part of Lee Oswald, and Howlett spent about 5 seconds in stuffing a light piece of 1X 4 lumber in a crack between the boxes before hastily departing down the stairs.
Howlett arrived at the second floor lunch room just 1 second ahead of officer Marrion Baker ...If the shooter ( Howlett) had actually hidden the 9 pound  carcano beneath that pallet of books AFTER the shooting, he would  never have reached the second floor lunchroom ahead of Baker and Truly.  Howlett would probably still have been on the stairs and would have passed Baker and Truly as he descended the stairs.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #552 on: October 08, 2021, 09:48:09 PM »

Offline Alan Ford

« Reply #553 on: October 09, 2021, 07:00:05 AM »
Howlett arrived at the second floor lunch room just 1 second ahead of officer Marrion Baker ...If the shooter ( Howlett) had actually hidden the 9 pound  carcano beneath that pallet of books AFTER the shooting, he would  never have reached the second floor lunchroom ahead of Baker and Truly.  Howlett would probably still have been on the stairs and would have passed Baker and Truly as he descended the stairs.

This would be the reconstruction in which Agent Howlett replicates Mr Oswald's alleged movements by ending up sitting down in the lunchroom.............

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #554 on: October 12, 2021, 11:44:09 PM »

As far as I'm concerned Oswald was a patsy and provided the Mannlicher not knowing it was going to be used to frame him. That's the point of this rifle - to frame Oswald.
Maybe the Mannlicher was the murder weapon but the shooter wasn't in any particular rush and had plenty of time to stow it in the boxes.
Maybe it was already in the boxes when the shooter used a proper rifle to do the job.
Either way, it doesn't really matter to the overall picture once it is accepted Oswald didn't do the shooting.

Notice that every photo of the place where the gun was hidden lists the rifle as "ON THE FLOOR"... Does the official DPD  "in situ" photo show the rifle "On the floor"??

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:48:33 PM by Walt Cakebread »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #554 on: October 12, 2021, 11:44:09 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #555 on: October 13, 2021, 12:12:13 AM »

Dan, could you super impose a photo of the carcano with the scope over the rifle in the Official DPD "in situ photo?

I don't believe that the rifle in the official DPD in situ photo has a scope on it....  If the rifle in the DPD photo had a scape mounted, I believe that the scope would be visible in the photo.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:13:25 AM by Walt Cakebread »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #556 on: April 08, 2022, 10:14:23 AM »
I don't believe I ever stated that I thought [one way or another] the rifle was indeed a Mauser. Or ...did I say that I accept anyone's tall tales....the tallest told by the likes of Henry Wade [who I still  loathe after death for my own personal reasons] or J E Hoover [who was probably the most dangerous person this country ever had] or LBJ [maybe the 2nd most]
What 'tale' did Craig tell in his testimony?
He relayed the accounts of Arnold Rowland who testified that he saw a man with a rifle and another guy standing beside him some 15 minutes before the shooting.
That would indicate the probability that there was at least another rifle besides the Carcano that was ultimately produced.
Boone, Weitzman, and Fritz were all in on the Mauser. If a switcheroo did take place, that meant that they all tucked tail and rolled over for Hoover and Johnson. They are all dead now-----------
At this point...no one will ever know for absolutely sure.

Weitzman said it was a Mauser and then changed his mind. Craig maintains he saw the Mauser stamp on the rifle and now Weitzman says it was just a glance. Wouldn't Weitzman do more than just "glance" at the murder weapon?   

Joe Ball: In the statement that you made to the Dallas Police Department that afternoon, you referred to the rifle as a 7.65 Mauser bolt action?

Seymour Weitzman: In a glance, that's what it looked like.

Joe Ball: That's what it looked like did you say that or someone else say that?

Seymour Weitzman: No; I said that. I thought it was one.

Joe Ball: Are you fairly familiar with rifles?

Seymour Weitzman: Fairly familiar because I was in the sporting goods business awhile....

Joe Ball: Now, in your statement to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, you gave a description of the rifle, how it looked.

Seymour Weitzman: I said it was a Mauser-type action, didn't I?

Joe Ball: Mauser bolt action.

Seymour Weitzman: And at the time I looked at it, I believe I said it was 2.5 scope on it and I believe I said it was a Weaver but it wasn't; it turned out to be anything but a Weaver, but that was at a glance.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #556 on: April 08, 2022, 10:14:23 AM »

Online Dan O'meara

« Reply #557 on: April 08, 2022, 10:49:15 AM »
Tom Alyea was present when the rifle was discovered and filmed the whole thing.
The rifle discovered was the Mannlicher Carcano, there can be no doubt about that.
It's surprising this "Mauser" story is still doing the rounds considering Alyea's footage.

Offline Bill Brown

« Reply #558 on: April 08, 2022, 08:23:55 PM »
J.C. Day:  "6.5 Made Italy"

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #558 on: April 08, 2022, 08:23:55 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #559 on: April 12, 2022, 10:48:17 PM »
Tom Alyea was present when the rifle was discovered and filmed the whole thing.
The rifle discovered was the Mannlicher Carcano, there can be no doubt about that.
It's surprising this "Mauser" story is still doing the rounds considering Alyea's footage.

Several reasons:

- the accounts by Boone, Weitzman, and Craig
- the existing Alyea footage doesn't necessarily show the moment of discovery. At least the box that was allegedly over the top had already been moved.
- the existing Alyea footage is blurry and lacking in identification detail
- we don't know that exactly one rifle was found
- we don't know what did not get captured in the existing footage