Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Why would the conspirators let Oswald have a midnight press conference?  (Read 24631 times)

Offline Nicholas Turner

Re: Why would the conspirators let Oswald have a midnight press conference?
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2018, 03:50:43 AM »
Advertisement
I just read that it was not a press conference at all. It took place in the police lineup room and LHO was initially behind the glass, but the reporters were complaining about this setup so he was brought out to the witness area. He was asked a few questions and then the DPD cut it off.

Can anyone confirm this?

Where did you read that?

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2018, 03:50:43 AM »

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2018, 04:07:33 AM »
I just read that it was not a press conference at all.

Well it certainly looks like a press conference and if Oswald had anything to say he would have said it.

JohnM

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2018, 05:54:52 AM »
From Ruby's WC testimony.......

This is referring to the night of the assassination.

"I left the club--I left the synagogue and I drove by the Bali-Hai Restaurant. I noticed they were open. I took recognition of that. I drove by another club called the Gay Nineties, and they were closed.
 And I made it my business to drive down Preston Road. In my mind suddenly it mulled over me that the police department was working overtime. And this is the craziest thing that ever happened in a person's life. I have always been very close to the police department, I don't know why.
 I felt I have always abided by the law--a few little infractions, but not serious--and I felt we have one of the greatest police forces in the world here, and I have always been close to them, and I visited in the office. And over the radio I heard they were working overtime.
 I stopped at the delicatessen called Phil's on Oak Lawn Avenue, and suddenly I decided--I told the clerk there I wanted him to make me some real good sandwiches, about 10 or 12, and he had already started on the sandwiches and I got on the phone.
I called an officer by the name of Sims and I said, "Sims, I hear you guys are working," and so on. I said, "I want to bring some sandwiches." And he said, "Jack, we wound up our work already. We wound up what we were doing. We are finished what we were doing. I will tell the boys about your thoughtfulness, and I will thank them for you.""

Is this Detective Richard Sims from Homicide? If so, why was he not asked about this conversation during his WC testimony?

Bumping in hope of an answer from the experts.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2018, 05:54:52 AM »

Offline Howard Gee

« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2018, 06:51:25 AM »
Bumping in hope of an answer from the experts.

Paraphrasing the following from The Day Kennedy Was Shot:

'From a phone booth in Phil's, Ruby dialed RI 8-9711 and asked the city hall operator to connect him with 'Homicide and Robbery'. The phone was picked up by Detective Richard Sims.'

I don't know why Sims wasn't asked about this conversation, but I suspect you already knew the call was to Detective Sims and have an opinion on why it didn't come up in his WC testimony.

Am I right ?

If so, why not just say what you have to say ?

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2018, 07:34:32 AM »
Paraphrasing the following from The Day Kennedy Was Shot:

'From a phone booth in Phil's, Ruby dialed RI 8-9711 and asked the city hall operator to connect him with 'Homicide and Robbery'. The phone was picked up by Detective Richard Sims.'

I don't know why Sims wasn't asked about this conversation, but I suspect you already knew the call was to Detective Sims and have an opinion on why it didn't come up in his WC testimony.

Am I right ?

If so, why not just say what you have to say ?

Thanks Howard. I thought it was him but was not sure. Maybe there were other officers called Sims.....a bit like Tippit.....you never know.

I haven't checked but I figured the most likely answer was that Ruby testified some time after Sims or the penny did not drop with the WC counsel after Ruby testified. To me it seems that Ruby was keen to gain access/info regarding Oswald on the Friday. I had not known he was at the midnight press conference although I know he had corrected Wade regarding the "Free Cuba" comment. I figure Ruby had his pistol on him at that time.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2018, 07:34:32 AM »

Offline Howard Gee

« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2018, 09:49:43 AM »
Thanks Howard. I thought it was him but was not sure. Maybe there were other officers called Sims.....a bit like Tippit.....you never know.

I haven't checked but I figured the most likely answer was that Ruby testified some time after Sims or the penny did not drop with the WC counsel after Ruby testified. To me it seems that Ruby was keen to gain access/info regarding Oswald on the Friday. I had not known he was at the midnight press conference although I know he had corrected Wade regarding the "Free Cuba" comment. I figure Ruby had his pistol on him at that time.

I'm not sure of the chronology of the testimony. I tend to think the call to Sims was probably known of before Sims' WC testimony, but you could be right.

There's no doubt Ruby was keen to gain access from the get-go. He succeeded.

Ruby was already in the hallways of police HQ when Oswald was being moved to and from his cell for interrogation. He was caught on tape in close vicinity to Oswald on one of those occasions.

And he did have his pistol on him.

Offline Colin Crow

« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »
I'm not sure of the chronology of the testimony. I tend to think the call to Sims was probably known of before Sims' WC testimony, but you could be right.

There's no doubt Ruby was keen to gain access from the get-go. He succeeded.

Ruby was already in the hallways of police HQ when Oswald was being moved to and from his cell for interrogation. He was caught on tape in close vicinity to Oswald on one of those occasions.

And he did have his pistol on him.

I think this photo has often been claimed to be Ruby......I am sure it is not due to the hairline.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »

Offline Howard Gee

« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2018, 10:29:51 AM »
I think this photo has often been claimed to be Ruby......I am sure it is not due to the hairline.

Sorry Colin, can't view the image you posted on this computer.

But if it's the one I'm thinking of (profile in which we see the right side of the individual leaning forward and looking at Oswald's back as he is being taken out of the hallway), I think that's Ruby.

Either way, there's no doubt Ruby wanted to gain access and be on the scene.