Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Lame LN excuses  (Read 49322 times)

Online Martin Weidmann

Re: Lame LN excuses
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2020, 07:17:37 PM »
Advertisement
Gentlemen,

I noticed that there is still some confusion about which officer found Oswald's jacket under a parked vehicle. Let me try to help clear up the matter.

First, the DPD radio log is of importance. At around 1:25 p.m. an officer with call sign 279 (listed as "unknown") contacts dispatch and says:

We believe we've got that suspect on shooting this officer out here. Got his white jacket. Believe he dumped it on this parking lot behind this service station at 400 block East Jefferson, across from Dudley Hughes, and he had a white jacket on. We believe this is it.

See CE 1974, page 62:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1139&search=CE_1974#relPageId=894&tab=page

The 'unknown' officer #279 was officer J.T. Griffin of the Traffic Division of the Dallas Police Department according to Lawrence Exhibit 2, page 2:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1137&search=lawrence_exhibit#relPageId=510&tab=page

I trust this will put an end to the we-don't-know-who- found-the- jacket nonsense.

Actually, no it doesn't and it isn't nonsense. The officer that called it in wasn't the one who actually found the jacket.

Westbrook testified that an officer, who has never been identified, pointed him towards the jacket under a car. He picked it up and gave it to another officer before moving on to the Texas Theater. The officer he gave the jacket to could well have been Griffin, although that was also never confirmed.

So, we do indeed not know who found the jacket.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2020, 07:17:37 PM »

Offline Joffrey van de Wiel

« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2020, 08:31:56 PM »
Gentlemen, - Tim, John, Martin-

It appears I misspoke and apologize. However it seemed logical and rational to me that the officer who found the jacket actually called it in himself. 

But I note that in the radio log officer Griffin refers to more than just himself by the use of the phrase We believe this is it.  Therefore the possibility that he just called it in after another officer found the jacket can not be denied. No doubt the officer who actually discovered the discarded jacket in the parking lot typed up a report or is listed on the evidence log sheet, but I can't bloody find it. Most annoying  >:(

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2020, 08:45:15 PM »
I don't think you'll ever find it, Joffrey.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2020, 08:45:15 PM »

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2020, 09:35:28 PM »
Gentlemen, - Tim, John, Martin-

It appears I misspoke and apologize. However it seemed logical and rational to me that the officer who found the jacket actually called it in himself. 

But I note that in the radio log officer Griffin refers to more than just himself by the use of the phrase We believe this is it.  Therefore the possibility that he just called it in after another officer found the jacket can not be denied. No doubt the officer who actually discovered the discarded jacket in the parking lot typed up a report or is listed on the evidence log sheet, but I can't bloody find it. Most annoying  >:(

Joffrey,

You will never be able to find that report because IMO it doesn't exist. In fact, to this day, nobody knows who the officer was that found the jacket under the car, nor does anybody know who the officer was who took the jacket to the police station, where it suddenly showed up some two hours later, again in possession of Westbrook, who had some officers, who were not even in the chain of custody, initial it before handing it in to the evidence room at around 3pm (if memory serves).

By then of course the white jacket had suddenly become grey. Go figure.

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2022, 12:45:13 AM »
Thumb1:

Griffin was the officer who reported to Dispatch that the jacket had been found.

Do you believe that Griffin would have reported that he had found a WHITE Jacket if the Jacket had been gray?   The jacket in evidence is NOT WHITE......

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2022, 12:45:13 AM »

Offline Tim Nickerson

« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2022, 06:05:59 AM »
Griffin was the officer who reported to Dispatch that the jacket had been found.

Do you believe that Griffin would have reported that he had found a WHITE Jacket if the Jacket had been gray?   The jacket in evidence is NOT WHITE......

Hi Walt, I hope that you're doing well.  Maybe Griffin saw this jacket:

What do you think? Possible?

Offline John Mytton

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2022, 09:20:25 AM »
Hi Walt, I hope that you're doing well.  Maybe Griffin saw this jacket:

What do you think? Possible?

Thumb1:

At the end of the day the jacket was filmed at the parking lot and the eyewitnesses said Oswald was wearing a similar jacket when he either killed Tippit or was moving away from the crime scene. Oswald is later arrested WITHOUT the jacket!

Mr. BENAVIDES - I would say he was about your size, and he had a light-beige jacket, and was lightweight.
Mr. BELIN - Did it have buttons or a zipper, or do you remember?
Mr. BENAVIDES - It seemed like it was a zipper-type jacket.

Mr. BALL. What did you tell them you saw?
Mr. CALLAWAY. I told them he had some dark trousers and a light tannish gray windbreaker jacket, and I told him that he was fair complexion, dark hair.

Mr. BALL. What kind of a jacket, what general color of jacket?
Mrs. MARKHAM. It was a short jacket open in the front, kind of a grayish tan.

Mr. BELIN. Was the jacket open or closed up?
Mrs. DAVIS. It was open.

Mrs. MARY BROCK, 4310 Utah, Dallas, Texas, advised that on the afternoon of November 22, 1963, she was at the Ballew Texaco Service Station located in the 600 block of Jefferson Street, Dallas, Texas. She advised that at approximately 1:30 PM a white male described as approximately 30 years of age; 5 feet, 10 inches; light—colored complexion, wearing light clothing, came past her walking at a fast pace, wearing a light—colored jacket and with his hands in his pockets.

Mr. BELIN. Let me ask you this now. When you first saw this man, had the police car stopped or not?
Mr. SCOGGINS. Yes; he stopped. When I saw he stopped, then I looked to see why he was stopping, you see, and I saw this man with a light-colored jacket on.

Mr. BALL. How was this man dressed that had the pistol in his hand?
Mr. GUINYARD. He had on a pair of black britches and a brown shirt and a lithe sort of light-gray-looking jacket.
Mr. BALL. A gray jacket.
Mr. GUINYARD. Yes; a light gray jacket and a white T-shirt.

Mrs. ROBERTS. He wasn't running, but he was walking pretty fast---he was all but running.
Mr. BALL. Then, what happened after that?
Mrs. ROBERTS. He went to his room and he was in his shirt sleeves but I couldn't tell you whether it was a long-sleeved shirt or what color it was or nothing, and he got a jacket and put it on---it was kind of a zipper jacket.

Your eyes can deceive you don't trust them!

JohnM

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2022, 09:20:25 AM »

Offline Richard Smith

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2022, 05:03:20 PM »

Show ten people a color picture of Oswald's jacket and ask them what color it is.  I bet you get several different responses white, gray, tan.  It is a non-descript color.  We know Oswald was wearing a jacket when he left his boardinghouse around 1PM but he is not wearing it less than a hour later when arrested.   Where do you think it went?