JFK Assassination Discussion & Debate => JFK Assassination Discussion & Debate => Topic started by: John Corbett on June 29, 2026, 04:16:11 AM

Title: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: John Corbett on June 29, 2026, 04:16:11 AM
https://triviavault.co.in/play.php?slug=jfk-assassination-facts-myths-conspiracy-theories&utm_source=msads&utm_medium=a&utm_campaign=524173807&utm_term=keyword&utm_content=82876117290326&t1=a&t2=524173807&t3=1326013890801084&t4=msads&t5=82876117290326

The above link is to a dirt simply, 15 question, JFKA quiz. I would bet that most of the participants on this forum would be able to get all 15 right without breaking a sweat. I wouldn't say the same about those in the general public. While it is impossible to know without actually administering this quiz to a group of randomly selected people, I would gladly wager that not one in ten would be able to answer all 15 correctly and that not one in five would even get 5 of the 15 correct. What the average person doesn't know about the JFKA could fill a book. In fact, countless authors have proven that by continuing to crank out books with new conspiracy angles, as well as old recycled ones.

CTs point with pride to polls that show a clear majority of people believe people other than Oswald were behind the assassination. With a populace that knows so little about the JFKA, and most of what they think they know they probably "learned" from Oliver Stone's movie, it's not at all surprising that a majority of people still believe the conspiracy hype.

There is no mystery to who shot JFK and there hasn't been since day one. The only question worth contemplating is whether he had any accomplices. Despite an army of researchers looking for such evidence for 62 years, no one has come up with any credible evidence that such accomplices existed. At 74 years of age, I feel safe in saying no one ever will in my lifetime. So many CTs, famous and unfamous have gone to their graves without ever discovering any such evidence. The same fate awaits all CTs. All the books written during the past 62 years postulating JFK died via a conspiracy will be relegated to history's clearance table. The same holds true of what has been offered on this and countless other JFKA forums.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: David Von Pein on June 29, 2026, 05:45:05 AM
Among people who have taken that particular JFK Assassination trivia quiz (as of June 29, 2026), only 8% of the participants have been able to achieve a perfect score.

Here are my results after I took the quiz....

https://triviavault.co.in/results/jfk-assassination-quiz (https://triviavault.co.in/results.php?slug=jfk-assassination-facts-myths-conspiracy-theories&r=286908&t1=a&t2=524173807&t3=1326013890801084&t4=msads&t5=82876117290326)

(https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiSrdUek7WQ5RufarC6I0428ZgPz3AIzB56LWcB8wdwcl9MHEceL_-AEBiR3b9q067C99IhjCBALCc3c7mqaMwO1VURyfTN01roiK7xroy9whyphenhyphenBddVe6HqDzYO_tgjHrMrC6A6nvSvOFqKMeiBoV0oGLPivMBFbkbYJNIUW9KufTv3eIs9-DE-G9jW2-uM/s880/Results-For-JFK-Trivia-Quiz.png)
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Charles Collins on June 29, 2026, 12:17:26 PM
If the questions and comments I see on the JFK Assassination Discussion Group on Facebook are any indication, most people are not very well informed about the JFK assassination. I got into a heated discussion with a cousin’s wife a few weeks ago. It wasn’t about the JFK assassination. But I happened to make a comparison that involved what a lot of people believe about the JFK assassination. She looked at me incredulously and said: “how do you KNOW this”? I simply said that I had done a lot of research over many years. There was no response from her after I said that. So, I think the real issue is that most people have only seen a limited amount of conspiracy related books/movies/discussions. They haven’t done any significant research of the actual investigation or evidence.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Lance Payette on June 29, 2026, 12:40:22 PM
The question itself is absurd. Watch any news program where they quiz people, including college students, about historical events. Nixon was President in World War II, etc., etc. Not 0.00001% of people who weren't alive at the time know or care anything about JFK or the JFKA. This is a fantasy of the 0.000001% who are obsessed with it. The polls showing large percentages "think there was a conspiracy" mean nothing more than large percentages once saw a TV program pushing the conspiracy angle. The last straw for me was a golf telecast where they good-naturedly quizzed pro golfers about The Beatles. These included some 40-year-olds and NOT ONE could name the four Beatles - simply John, Paul, George and Ringo.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: John Corbett on June 29, 2026, 12:53:18 PM
Among people who have taken that particular JFK Assassination trivia quiz (as of June 29, 2026), only 8% of the participants have been able to achieve a perfect score.

I didn't notice the overall ranking when I guessed that not 1 in 10 could get all 15 answers correct. Looks like I made a pretty good guess.

I'm going to retake the quiz and deliberately miss 10 questions to test my hypothesis that not 1 in 5 people would even get 5 questions correct.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Lance Payette on June 29, 2026, 01:01:18 PM
I didn't notice the overall ranking when I guessed that not 1 in 10 could get all 15 answers correct. Looks like I made a pretty good guess.

I'm going to retake the quiz and deliberately miss 10 questions to test my hypothesis that not 1 in 5 people would even get 5 questions correct.

I would be willing to bet that NOTHING LIKE 8% or 10% of the populace could get 15 right. My guess would be that either (1) the quiz was of interest only to the miniscule percentage who actually care anything about the JFKA and/or (2) a substantial percentage started off so badly they said the hell with it and didn't finish. I would bet my house, car and Callaway driver that 10% couldn't tell you the YEAR of the JFKA.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: John Corbett on June 29, 2026, 01:10:19 PM
In trying to retake the quiz and deliberately miss 10 questions, when I clicked on the link I provided in the OP, my system security indicated it was not a secure site. In trying to find another way to reach the quiz, I came across a similar 15 question quiz. This one is a little tougher. I actually missed #11.

https://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/World/JFK-Assassinated-103854.html

After I submitted my answers, it indicated that the average score was 8. That is a little better than I estimated although I would guess that the people who took the time to answer the questions had some interest in the subject so it might not be representative of the public at large.

I was surprised to learn there are lots of similar quizzes and all the ones I looked at were 15 questions.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: John Corbett on June 29, 2026, 01:13:16 PM
I would be willing to bet that NOTHING LIKE 8% or 10% of the populace could get 15 right. My guess would be that either (1) the quiz was of interest only to the miniscule percentage who actually care anything about the JFKA and/or (2) a substantial percentage started off so badly they said the hell with it and didn't finish. I would bet my house, car and Callaway driver that 10% couldn't tell you the YEAR of the JFKA.

If we are talking about the public at large, I think you are correct. If we are talking about people who were interested enough to take the quiz, I think their scores will be quite higher.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: John Corbett on June 29, 2026, 01:16:52 PM
The question itself is absurd. Watch any news program where they quiz people, including college students, about historical events. Nixon was President in World War II, etc., etc. Not 0.00001% of people who weren't alive at the time know or care anything about JFK or the JFKA. This is a fantasy of the 0.000001% who are obsessed with it. The polls showing large percentages "think there was a conspiracy" mean nothing more than large percentages once saw a TV program pushing the conspiracy angle. The last straw for me was a golf telecast where they good-naturedly quizzed pro golfers about The Beatles. These included some 40-year-olds and NOT ONE could name the four Beatles - simply John, Paul, George and Ringo.

It's probably out of the question that any of them could have named Peter Best.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Steve M. Galbraith on June 29, 2026, 01:56:03 PM
In the early days/weeks after the assassination the majority of Americans polled believed there was a conspiracy. This is before any investigation other than the DPD was done.

People simply want to believe - or have to - that it was more. Great events need a great cause and one man with a rifle can't be it.

(https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/v2/C4D22AQHs4HDWAOTUWg/feedshare-shrink_800/feedshare-shrink_800/0/1592025516948?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=tfMRyYbGGP4ZrQ0CTvmme4f3t4PZM1bY7mClq-sUaec)
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Charles Collins on June 29, 2026, 02:25:24 PM
In the early days/weeks after the assassination the majority of Americans polled believed there was a conspiracy. This is before any investigation other than the DPD was done.

People simply want to believe - or have to - that it was more. Great events need a great cause and one man with a rifle can't be it.

(https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/v2/C4D22AQHs4HDWAOTUWg/feedshare-shrink_800/feedshare-shrink_800/0/1592025516948?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=tfMRyYbGGP4ZrQ0CTvmme4f3t4PZM1bY7mClq-sUaec)



That’s an interesting graph. It’s over 10-years old now. The last part of if showed the two lines converging. I wonder if they continued to converge over the most recent 10-year period.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Steve M. Galbraith on June 29, 2026, 02:40:32 PM
Gallup poll through '23. It does look at about 2013 that the divide was narrowing, coming to a rough 50/50 view. Then in circa 2018 the divide grew. I think if you look at party breakdown, the cohorts, you'll see most of the growth of conspiracy belief was among Republican voters.

(https://www.drivehq.com/file/DFPublishFile.aspx/FileID13598661579/Key3yiu4cyiep7y/Majority-in-U.S.-Continue-to-Think-Kennedy-Assassination-Involved-a-Conspiracy.png)

Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Steve M. Galbraith on June 29, 2026, 02:43:15 PM


That’s an interesting graph. It’s over 10-years old now. The last part of if showed the two lines converging. I wonder if they continued to converge over the most recent 10-year period.
I like how they included notable events surrounding the assassination along with the poll numbers. The latest numbers show a uptick - from ~60% to ~65% - with most of the increase driven by self-identified Republican voters. It appears to be the "the Deep State got JFK like they tried to get Trump" view. Silly.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Lance Payette on June 29, 2026, 03:09:23 PM
It's probably out of the question that any of them could have named Peter Best.

Or Stu Sutcliffe.

I can name all the Kinks, so I'm at the nutcase end of the spectrum.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: John Corbett on June 29, 2026, 03:12:57 PM
In the early days/weeks after the assassination the majority of Americans polled believed there was a conspiracy. This is before any investigation other than the DPD was done.

People simply want to believe - or have to - that it was more. Great events need a great cause and one man with a rifle can't be it.


I think what drove conspiracy belief in the early days more than anything was Jack Ruby's killing of Oswald. That just seemed too convenient to many people and it is quite understandable why that would have made people assume it was part of a conspiracy to silence Oswald. The JFKA happened 6 days before my 12th birthday and it was the first time I remember hearing the word conspiracy. It didn't matter that no evidence ever emerged that Jack Ruby was part of a conspiracy. People already had that mindset so it was quite easy for them to be convinced that their early beliefs were in fact correct. I think conspiracy theories would have still emerged but I'm not sure they would have taken hold as much as they did.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: John Corbett on June 29, 2026, 03:20:04 PM
I like how they included notable events surrounding the assassination along with the poll numbers. The latest numbers show a uptick - from ~60% to ~65% - with most of the increase driven by self-identified Republican voters. It appears to be the "the Deep State got JFK like they tried to get Trump" view. Silly.

I hadn't seen the 2023 poll until now. The latest one I can remember was taken sometime in the previous decade. I think you might be right that the uptick in conspiracy belief is driven largely by Republicans. I know one of the most vociferous believers in conspiracy is Fox News host Jesse Watters. He is convinced it was the CIA that took out JFK. There are conspiracy believers all across the political spectrum. The only difference between the left and the right seems to be whom they want to blame.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Michael T. Griffith on June 29, 2026, 03:22:44 PM
Yes, of course. Since the substantial majority of Americans, and also Europeans, reject the lone-gunman theory, well, you know, they just must not know the facts; they must not be informed enough about the case; etc., etc.

Uh-huh. It just can't be that they recognize the lone-gunman theory for what it is: an untenable, implausible theory that was cooked up by a government commission in 1964 to placate the public, whose key findings were rejected by a congressional select committee in 1979, and whose key findings were utterly demolished by previously sealed documents that were released by a federal records review board in the 1990s.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: John Corbett on June 29, 2026, 03:31:16 PM
Yes, of course. Since the substantial majority of Americans, and also Europeans, reject the lone-gunman theory, well, you know, they just must not know the facts; they must not be informed enough about the case; etc., etc.

Uh-huh. It just can't be that they recognize the lone-gunman theory for what it is: an untenable, implausible theory that was cooked up by a government commission in 1964 to placate the public, whose key findings were rejected by a congressional select committee in 1979, and whose key findings were utterly demolished by previously sealed documents that were released by a federal records review board in the 1990s.

If you doubt the vast majority of Americans are woefully uninformed about the JFKA, then it is you who is truly uninformed. In the rare circumstance when the JFKA comes up in conversation outside of online JFKA forums, most of the people I have talked to about it seem to have gotten most if not all their information from Oliver Stone's BS movie. I remember walking out of the theater and overhearing people saying things like, "It's hard to argue with".
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Steve M. Galbraith on June 29, 2026, 04:02:10 PM
Yes, of course. Since the substantial majority of Americans, and also Europeans, reject the lone-gunman theory, well, you know, they just must not know the facts; they must not be informed enough about the case; etc., etc.

Uh-huh. It just can't be that they recognize the lone-gunman theory for what it is: an untenable, implausible theory that was cooked up by a government commission in 1964 to placate the public, whose key findings were rejected by a congressional select committee in 1979, and whose key findings were utterly demolished by previously sealed documents that were released by a federal records review board in the 1990s.
Where does one find these polls on "Europeans"?

Once again, the HSCA said that Oswald fired the shots that killed JFK (you don't believe that) and that:

(https://www.drivehq.com/file/DFPublishFile.aspx/FileID13598807085/Key0bluqcb1ag74/Screenshot 2026-06-29 105907.jpg)

"Probably" a conspiracy is not demolishing the lone assassin theory. You don't believe "probably" either. And they said they couldn't determine who the conspirators were. You also don't believe that. The BYP are authentic, the X-rays and autopsy photos real and on and on and on.....None of which you believe.

It's amazing how you promote conspiracy beliefs like the HSCA that contradict your other stated beliefs. And then promote another set that contradict those. You explanation is a mish mash of theories that are all at odds with each other and change every other day. You don't make any sense even if you believe "the Europeans" say so.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: John Corbett on June 29, 2026, 04:40:41 PM
Where does one find these polls on "Europeans"?

Once again, the HSCA said that Oswald fired the shots that killed JFK (you don't believe that) and that:

(https://www.drivehq.com/file/DFPublishFile.aspx/FileID13598807085/Key0bluqcb1ag74/Screenshot 2026-06-29 105907.jpg)

"Probably" a conspiracy is not demolishing the lone assassin theory. You don't believe "probably" either.

It's amazing how you promote conspiracy beliefs like the HSCA that contradict your other stated beliefs. And then promote another set that contradict those. You explanation is a mish mash of theories that are all at odds with each other. You don't make any sense even if "the Europeans" say so.

One recent example of MTG's duplicity is his endorsement of the HSCA's acoustical evidence that indicated a missed shot was fired from the GK, but then he turns around and tells us that shot didn't miss but hit JFK in the throat.

I wonder if MTG is also a proponent of the headshot coming from the front. That would be interesting given he supports the acoustics panel which concluded only one shot was fired from the GK and three were fired from the TSBD.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Steve M. Galbraith on June 29, 2026, 08:35:23 PM
About three years old but I don't think it would be much different today.

(https://www.drivehq.com/file/DFPublishFile.aspx/FileID13599309603/Keythnxv6bseenn/party conspiracy.jpg)
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: John Corbett on June 29, 2026, 08:46:15 PM
I'm only mildly surprised that there are significantly fewer Democrats who believe in conspiracy than Republicans or Independents. I would have guessed the numbers would be pretty close for all three groups.

Count me among the 31% of Independents who don't believe there was a conspiracy.
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Tom Scully on June 30, 2026, 07:05:10 AM
Or Stu Sutcliffe.

I can name all the Kinks, so I'm at the nutcase end of the spectrum.

Lance, just don't go "postal" on us, please!

(https://i.pinimg.com/736x/0b/30/34/0b3034758f861fed9229e40261689aa8.jpg)

The Pretenders' song, from their first album, "Stop Your Sobbing" by Ray Davies -


Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: Mark Ulrik on June 30, 2026, 10:53:46 AM
Poll shows uneducated non-Democrats to be more prone to conspiracy thinking? Gotta be rigged, eh?
Title: Re: How well informed are the American people about the JFK assassination
Post by: John Corbett on June 30, 2026, 10:57:00 AM
Poll shows uneducated non-Democrats to be more prone to conspiracy thinking? Gotta be rigged, eh?

Polls don't tell us who killed JFK. The WC did that 62 years ago. Some people still refuse to accept it. That's their problem.