Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Can anybody provide proof of a successful reenactment of Oswald's feat?  (Read 51149 times)

Online Richard Smith

Re: Can anybody provide proof of a successful reenactment of Oswald's feat?
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2021, 03:20:50 PM »
Advertisement
And what 'shooter practiced' with 'that' rifle? Anybody?

Oswald according to his own wife.   Let me guess - she was in on the conspiracy to frame her own husband and can't be trusted because she can't remember exact dates and times.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2021, 03:20:50 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2021, 03:34:42 PM »
Oswald according to his own wife.   Let me guess - she was in on the conspiracy to frame her own husband and can't be trusted because she can't remember exact dates and times.
The usual deficient response....made over and over.
 Marina in her testimony did state that he went to the park and shot leaves and also went out to the airport to practice.
The Commission didn't believe that and also, Richard Smith knows this but simply likes to be argumentative...it is a fun way to be 

Offline Jack Nessan

« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »
 Marina in her testimony did state that he went to the park and shot leaves and also went out to the airport to practice.
The Commission didn't believe that and also, Richard Smith knows this but simply likes to be argumentative...it is a fun way to be 

The commission did believe her. What that means is he spent a great deal of time dry firing the rifle. Dry firing the rifle is practicing.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »

"Richard" misrepresents everything.  EVERYTHING.

Offline John Iacoletti

« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2021, 06:21:18 PM »
The commission did believe her. What that means is he spent a great deal of time dry firing the rifle. Dry firing the rifle is practicing.

Marina never said anything about "dry firing", nor do we even know what rifle he had in New Orleans.

Mrs. OSWALD. No. I know for sure that he didn't. But I know that we had a kind of a porch with a---screened-in porch, and I know that sometimes evenings after dark he would sit there with his rifle. I don't know what he did with it. I came there by chance once and saw him just sitting there with his rifle. I thought he is merely sitting there and resting. Of course I didn't like these kind of little jokes.
. . .
Mr. RANKIN. From what you observed about his having the rifle on the back porch, in the dark, could you tell whether or not he was trying to practice with the telescopic lens?
Mrs. OSWALD. Yes. I asked him why. But this time he was preparing to go to Cuba.
. . .
. . .
Mr. RANKIN. You have described your husband's practicing on the back porch at New Orleans with the telescopic scope and the rifle, saying he did that very regularly there.
Did you ever see him working the bolt, that action that opens the rifle, where you can put a shell in and push it back- during those times?
Mrs. OSWALD. I did not see it, because it was dark, and I would be in the room at that time.
But I did hear the noise from it from time to time not often.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2021, 06:21:18 PM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2021, 06:39:59 PM »
Points to Ponder:

It's impossible to replicate two very closely fired shots like the first and second shots with an old-fashioned gun as was supposedly used. I'm not a big fan of the witness statements because many people were not expecting this to happen [obviously] so they heard and saw this is not entirely accurate. But Connally swore until the day he died that the first shot was not the one that hit him. And the Z film backs this up.

Pat Speer did a good job of researching and finding that it'd be next to impossible for Oswald to have gone down the stairs immediately after the shooting and to have not been seen by one of the black co-workers. Look it up on his site.

There were shooting reenactments on a CBS TV special from back in the 60s and none of these so-called sharpshooters could replicate Oswald's amazingly accurate shooting...but equally amazing miss.

But speaking of the miss, I do speculate that the Tague "chips on the cheek" story could not be 100% accurate. I find it very hard to believe that a shot hit that far off target, causing the chips to fly up.

It's impossible to replicate two very closely fired shots like the first and second shots with an old-fashioned gun as was supposedly used.

Absolutely true , Mr Walton.  Even if the scope had been precisely aligned and the rifle in perfect working order,,,,,  It would have been impossible to fire three shots in six seconds. (or even 10 seconds)   Many researchers have established this fact ... I own several carcano's and I know that the carcano is a very poor rifle to try to use as a rapid fire, accurate weapon...  I'd bet that you couldn't find anybody who could replicate the feat that Lee Oswald is accused of accomplishing.

If you're willing to examine some evidence with an open mind ( not one that has preconceived ideas embedded ) I can prove beyond a shadow of doubt that the carcano was buried beneath boxes of books at the time of the shooting.

Offline Jack Nessan

« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2021, 07:02:36 PM »
Marina never said anything about "dry firing", nor do we even know what rifle he had in New Orleans.

Mrs. OSWALD. No. I know for sure that he didn't. But I know that we had a kind of a porch with a---screened-in porch, and I know that sometimes evenings after dark he would sit there with his rifle. I don't know what he did with it. I came there by chance once and saw him just sitting there with his rifle. I thought he is merely sitting there and resting. Of course I didn't like these kind of little jokes.
. . .
Mr. RANKIN. From what you observed about his having the rifle on the back porch, in the dark, could you tell whether or not he was trying to practice with the telescopic lens?
Mrs. OSWALD. Yes. I asked him why. But this time he was preparing to go to Cuba.
. . .
. . .
Mr. RANKIN. You have described your husband's practicing on the back porch at New Orleans with the telescopic scope and the rifle, saying he did that very regularly there.
Did you ever see him working the bolt, that action that opens the rifle, where you can put a shell in and push it back- during those times?
Mrs. OSWALD. I did not see it, because it was dark, and I would be in the room at that time.
But I did hear the noise from it from time to time not often.

I never said anything about Marina and dryfiring. I doubt she would even know what is meant by dryfiring. Marina said he practiced with the rifle on the porch.

The WC examining CE 543 and discussing his Marine Corp training believed he was dryfiring.

Dry firing:  All Dr Chapman did was look at the primer of CE 543 and noticed it was dished. If it is dished in that means the firing pin had struck the shell more than once. The reason for dry firing is to practice without actually firing the rifle.  Major Anderson of the Marine Corp explained dry firing to the WC and how much of it LHO would have done while being trained in the Marine Corp training.

Dr Chapman after examing CE 543 and its primer stated the shell had been dryfired.

Mr. EISENBERG. Somebody had done one operation, in your opinion, with this cartridge at three different times?
Mr. NICOL. Right.
Mr. EISENBERG. Now, just to set this in context, I have taken the bolt from Commission Exhibit 139, the rifle found on the sixth floor, and could you show the Commission what the extractor is on this bolt?
Mr. NICOL. The extractor is this semicircular piece extending back in the bolt, and its purpose is to withdraw the cartridge from the chamber at the time that the bolt is drawn back. It rides in the extractor groove, which is machined in the head of the cartridge case. At the time that the weapon is loaded, oftentimes this springs around, it first contacts the rim of the cartridge case, and then springs around the rim of the cartridge and produces marks such as these, or marks such as I have illustrated on the three sets.
Mr. EISENBERG. Now, is it possible that the reason the marks were present on this cartridge but not on the other cartridge case on this cartridge case but not on the other cartridge cases you examined--is because these marks were produced by dry firing as opposed to actual firing?
Mr. NICOL. This is possible. The weight of the empty shell would be different of course from one which had a projectile in it, so that its dynamics might be different, and it might produce a different mark-- although in the absence of accessibility of the weapon, or the absence of these marks on the tests, I really am unable to say what is the precise origin of those marks, except to speculate that they are probably from the extractor, and that the second mark that appears here, which I have indicated with a similar number, is probably an ejector mark. Now, this, I might add, is a different type of ejector mark than the mark found on the rim from the normal firing of these tests and the evidence cartridges.
Mr. EISENBERG. Now, you stated that another mark appeared in all three associated in juxtaposition with the three marks you have been describing?
Mr. NICOL. Yes; and in the same angular relationship to a radii through the center of the head.
Mr. EISENBERG. Now, again, if it is an ejector mark, might the difference have been caused by the fact that it may have been associated with a dry firing rather than an actual firing?
Mr. NICOL. That might be possible.
Mr. EISENBERG. Do you think a person would apply a different bolt pressure in a dry firing as opposed to an actual firing?
Mr. NICOL. Well, since this is a manually operated weapon, it is quite possible that no two operations are done with exactly the same force. However, with reasonable reproduceability, all these marks appear to the same depth and to the same extent, so that it would appear that whatever produced them operated in identically the same fashion.

Mr. EISENBERG. Do you have anything you would like to add to your testimony on the rifle bullets or the rifle cartridge cases, Mr. Nicol?
Mr. NICOL. No, sir; I don't think so.

Mr. SPECTER - What do you mean by live firing, sir?
Major ANDERSON - By live firing I mean any time a live round of ammunition is actually placed in the gun and it is fired.
Mr. SPECTER - Is that distinguished from some other type of firing, or heavy firing?
Major ANDERSON - Yes; it is distinguished from what we call dry firing in that no ammunition is used whatsoever. A man just simulates

Mr. SPECTER - Would you outline the marksmanship training, if any, which a Marine recruit receives in the normal course of Marine training?
Major ANDERSON - He goes through a very intensive 3 weeks training period. During this 3 weeks for the first week he receives a basic training in the care and cleaning of the weapon. He learns sighting and aiming. He learns manipulation of the trigger.
He is exposed to various training aids. He goes through a series of exercises in what we call dry firing in which he assumes all of the positions that he is going to use in the full firing of the rifle over the qualification course

Based on LHO's Marine Corp training he had dryfired a great deal.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2021, 07:02:36 PM »

Offline Michael Walton

« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2021, 08:27:02 PM »
The larger point of this thread is:

Can anybody provide proof of a successful reenactment of Oswald's feat?

There are plenty of articles out there about whether it was possible or not. Here is one very detailed one:

http://www.patspeer.com/chapter-4g-thoughts-on-the-shots

Dry firing has nothing to do with it. The point is - did LHO bring in an unassembled rifle, put it together, have the scope misaligned, have no time to test fire it to align the scope, set up the boxes, do his normal clerk duties, ask a co-worker what all of the people down on the street were for, reply, "Oh, OK," know when the car would come by, fire three shots, miss wildly on one, shoot two others very closely together with a bolt-action rifle that many others who tried it [like above] couldn't do, hide the weapon, scamper down the steps, be out in the vestibule while the shooting was going on, tell the cops later he "...ate his lunch and then went out to watch the P parade...", buy a Coca Cola in the lunch room, be confronted by a cop and walk out the door?