JFK Assassination Discussion & Debate > JFK Assassination Discussion & Debate

Need Help Bulding a Physical Scale Model of Dealey Plaza

(1/7) > >>

Steve Barber:

Hi All, 

Does anyone here know of anyone who have taken meaurements of the dimensions of the concrete structures and so forth of Dealey plaza, e.g. pergola, retaining wall, triple underpass, pylons, peristyles, reflecting pool(s), knoll, infield grass, etc. ?  I'm in the making of an HO (1.87) scale replica of the plaza exactly as it was in 1963.  Thanks so much.   Steve

Robert Reeves:
Robert Cutler's dealey plaza maps? I imagine there could be one he produced that provides detailed dimensions.

Royell Storing:
    The section of Picket Fence that runs E-W/Parallel to Elm St is currently NOT in the same position it was on 11/22/63. Do you know how many feet (N) from its' current position the fence actually was on 11/22/63? The altered position of the picket fence resulted in confusing Gordon Arnold when he demonstrated his physical position inside Dealey Plaza during his "The Men Who Killed Kennedy" segment. Arnold filmed this segment 25 yrs after the assassination of JFK. The moving of that picket fence also screws up any/every investigation of possible shooter(s) positioned behind the picket fence. This includes investigating "The Badge Man". Bear in mind that if you Alter the position of the E-W section of the picket fence, then the N-S section of fencing also has to be Altered in order for these 2 sections of fencing to meet and form a corner. The moving of the picket fence along with the other many Physical Alterations of Dealey Plaza also impacts acoustic testing.     

Charles Collins:

--- Quote from: Steve Barber on April 20, 2024, 05:22:21 PM ---  Hi All, 

Does anyone here know of anyone who have taken meaurements of the dimensions of the concrete structures and so forth of Dealey plaza, e.g. pergola, retaining wall, triple underpass, pylons, peristyles, reflecting pool(s), knoll, infield grass, etc. ?  I'm in the making of an HO (1.87) scale replica of the plaza exactly as it was in 1963.  Thanks so much.   Steve

--- End quote ---

Sounds like an interesting project. There are people here who have taken some measurements, etc. Hopefully they will be in contact with you. I think that PM might be the best method. Good luck with this and please let us see some progress and finished project photos!

Jerry Organ:
Take one of the Topo Maps here: Link The tilt correction (which I did to the Cropped Version) might be one-percent, if I recall correctly. ( I used 0.1% tilt correction)

Then find the best-resolution satellite photo you can find (all I've seen are poor resolution) and superimpose it as a transparency onto the Topo Map. The Topo Map was created by hand using French Curves, so the street curves and corners (pergola, pool, etc.) are stylized generic, not literal. That's the reason for the satellite photo; the problem is how do you know if the photo and map are the same scale. That's an individual decision.

The Cutler Plat map was based on the map made for the WC. It also has those hand-drawn curves that are a bit off from the satellite photo. If you could access the Knott Lab 3D scan of DP and had a $4000. high-end computer, you would have it made.

You can get point-to-point measurements on objects in DP that are on the same plane using Google Maps. These are rounded figures but give a rough idea. I have a thread called "3D Modeling" with important on-site measurements by James Hackerott.

If I were you, though, I would first work on the Topo Map/satellite overlay and post it here for comments, or PM Charles or me. That is the base of the whole model and you have to perfect it as much as possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version