Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Media Today  (Read 41518 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: Media Today
« Reply #456 on: May 06, 2023, 05:01:36 AM »
Advertisement
Formerly Homeless Hero Who Saved Baby in Runaway Stroller Lands Job at Applebee's

Ron Nessman was in the right place at the right time because of a job interview at a restaurant. Even Superman had a day job.

Ron Nessman had a week.

Widely viewed video showed the San Bernardino County man running to the rescue of a baby in a stroller Monday just as it was about to roll into heavy traffic on a Hesperia street. The baby's great aunt tried to stop the stroller, pushed by strong winds, but stumbled and fell to the ground.

Nessman was in the right place at the right time all because of a job interview at an Applebee's. Homeless for about eight years, Nessman has been living with his sister for the past three months.

On Thursday, he told NBCLA that he got the job. Nessman said he will be washing dishes in the kitchen.

His orientation was Friday morning.

"I'll earn everything I get so with that in mind, you know, I appreciate the opportunity that Applebee's has given me. It's really cool," Nessman said.

Nessman said he had no idea his heroic act captured the attention of so many people until his niece told him. He has family members who have seen his video as far away as Florida and Missouri.

He said he's thankful the baby and her great aunt are doing OK.

According to Applebee’s General Manager Emily Canady, the viral video had nothing to do with the company's decision to hire Nessman.

"He's a great guy and he was a great candidate, and he'll definitely fit with us here in Team Victorville at Applebee’s,” Canady said.

Nessman previously told NBCLA he has struggled with depression, in part, because of the death of his girlfriend.

"I decided to get right," he said. "If you want something different in your life, you do something different and that's where I am at today. I thank my sister for helping me out. She's always been there for me."

Now, he's excited for his new job, in part because it'll be fast-paced and keep him busy. And, while some people may be looking to capitalize on his notoriety with online fundraisers, Nessman said he doesn't want anyone's money. Instead, he wants to earn his own.

"I gotta come to work tomorrow and I can hardly wait to start doing what I do, you know what I mean? It's going to be a good feeling," he said.

Watch video: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/homeless-man-hero-baby-rescue-stroller-applebees-job/3148070/

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #456 on: May 06, 2023, 05:01:36 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #457 on: May 06, 2023, 08:10:42 AM »
Oregon is being invaded by huge bug-eyed fanged fish — and no one knows why

People are finding huge, scaleless fish with sharp fangs and bulging eyes on the beaches of Oregon — and it's not clear why it's happening, according to the Associated Press.

"Within the last few weeks, several lancetfish have appeared on beaches from Nehalem, in northern Oregon, to Bandon, which is about 100 miles (161 kilometers) from the California border, Oregon State Parks said on Facebook," reported Becky Bohrer and Beatrice Dupuy. "The agency asked beachgoers who see the fish to take photos and post them online, tagging the agency and the NOAA Fisheries West Coast region."

These fish are capable of growing up to seven feet long, per the report.

Nobody is exactly clear what's driving the appearance of these deep-sea fish, said University of California San Diego marine biologist Ben Frable — although, he noted, it's not the first time it's happened.

"Lancetfish live mainly in tropical and subtropical waters but travel as far north as areas like Alaska’s Bering Sea to feed. Their slinky bodies include a 'sail-like' fin, and their flesh is gelatinous — not generally something humans wish to eat, according to NOAA Fisheries," said the report. "Reports of finding the 'freaky looking' lancetfish on beaches date back to the 19th century, he said. The collection he manages includes lancetfish from beaches, including one that wound up on the beach near the institution in late 2021. In that case, the lancetfish 'shot out of the water,' where it was mobbed by seagulls, Frable said. It’s possible the fish had been chasing prey, such as small fish, and got too close to shore — or that it was pursued by a predator, such as a sea lion, he said."

According to the report, some speculate that unusual weather associated with climate change could be changing the lancetfish's behavior.

Read More Here: https://apnews.com/article/washed-up-weird-fish-fangs-oregon-beach-2f68e2ab46caa9a645d137e7f22735b7

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #458 on: May 07, 2023, 03:11:52 AM »
Another mass shooting and Republicans once again offer their phony "thoughts and prayers" as they do nothing about gun violence in red states. We don't need their prayers, we need legislation that will help combat gun violence instead of Republicans making it easier to allow violent criminals and mentally unstable people to easily purchase weapons of war to unleash on the public.     

Fatalities Confirmed, At Least 9 Hurt in Shooting at Allen Outlets
It's still not clear how many people have been killed or injured in a sprawling outdoor mall in the North Dallas suburbs

- A person opened fire at an outdoor shopping center in Allen, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, killing an untold number of people Saturday afternoon.

- At least nine people are known to have been hospitalized after the shooting. Fire officials caution that the number could grow.

- The gunman has been killed, police said, but no further information has been confirmed about the shooter.

They described seeing who they believed to be the gunman, wearing a mask and police-like attire.

Bullet holes could be seen in cars in the mall parking lot as well as in storefronts.

The shooting drew a large law enforcement presence from several federal, state and local agencies.

The outlet mall has about 120 stores and appears to have been very busy on Saturday afternoon. The Allen Police Department posted on its social media accounts to avoid the area until further updates.

Allen police also ask that witnesses or anyone with footage contact the FBI.

GOV. ABBOTT, LT. GOV. PLEDGE SUPPORT, OFFER PRAYERS

In a written statement, Gov. Greg Abbott (R) said he was aware of the shooting and offered the state's assistance in investigating the shooting.

“Our hearts are with the people of Allen, Texas tonight during this unspeakable tragedy,” Abbott said. “I have been in contact with Mayor Fulk and DPS Director McCraw as well as other state and local leaders and offered the full support of the State of Texas to local officials to ensure all needed assistance and resources are swiftly deployed, including DPS officers, Texas Rangers, and investigative resources.”

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R) issued this statement today following news of the shooting in Allen:

“Please join Jan and me in mourning the victims of the unspeakable tragedy in Allen. Please also join us in prayer for the victims’ families and friends along with the residents of Allen. We are grateful for our brave first responders who were deployed to stop the shooter and investigate this hideous crime. We are thankful for their bravery and courage.”

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/fatalities-confirmed-at-least-9-hurt-in-shooting-at-allen-outlets/3252317/

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #458 on: May 07, 2023, 03:11:52 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #459 on: May 07, 2023, 03:25:28 AM »
Oakland Athletics Play-By-Play Broadcaster Apologizes For Apparent On-Air Racial Slur

The Oakland Athletics promised to take action against their play-by-play broadcaster, Glen Kuiper Jr., who apologized Friday after an on-air slip that resulted in an apparent racial slur.

Kuiper later apologized during the sixth inning of the A’s game against the Kansas City Royals.

The situation happened during the pregame, when Kuiper and broadcast partner Dallas Braden said they visited the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City. In relating the story, Kuiper mispronounced the word “Negro,” making it sound like a slur.

Kuiper gave a vague apology later in the broadcast.

“Welcome back to Kauffman Stadium. I just want to … a little earlier in the show, I said something, didn’t come out quite the way I wanted it to,” Kuiper said. “And I just wanted to apologize if it sounded different than I meant it to be said. And like I said, I just wanted to apologize for that.”

The A’s organization released a Twitter statement condemning the action. The team promised to “address the situation.” .

“The language used by Glen Kuiper during today’s pregame broadcast is unacceptable. The Oakland Athletics do not condone such language. We are working to address the situation,” the A’s said.

Kuiper is the brother of Giants broadcaster Duane Kuiper. He has been with the A’s broadcast team since 2006.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/oakland-athletics-play-by-play-broadcaster-apologizes-for-on-air-racial-slur-1235358402/

A's broadcaster Kuiper suspended following racial slur

Oakland A’s broadcaster Glen Kuiper was suspended by NBC Sports Bay Area on Saturday after he uttered a racial slur during Friday night’s game between the A’s and Royals.

The network said in a statement Saturday that Kuiper will remain off the air until it can complete a review of what transpired on Friday’s broadcast.

Kuiper issued an apology on-air Friday and released a statement through NBCSBA Saturday.

“I could not be more sorry and horrified by what I said,” Kuiper said in the statement. “I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies.”

The A’s released a statement regarding the incident after the game on Friday night.

"The language used by Glen Kuiper during today’s pregame broadcast is unacceptable,” the statement read. “The Oakland Athletics do not condone such language. We are working to address the situation.”

Kuiper used the slur when talking about his visit to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum with broadcast partner Dallas Braden during the pregame show.

Bob Kendrick, president of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, issued a statement in response on Saturday afternoon.

“I’m aware of the unfortunate slur made by Glen Kuiper,” Kendrick said. “I welcomed Glen to the NLBM yesterday and know he was genuinely excited to be here. The word is painful and has no place in our society. And while I don’t pretend to know Glen’s heart, I do know that my heart is one of forgiveness. I hope all of you will find it in yourselves to do the same!”

Kuiper has been Oakland’s play-by-play announcer since 2006.

https://www.mlb.com/news/glen-kuiper-suspended

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #460 on: May 07, 2023, 09:19:28 PM »
More than 24,000 evacuate in western Canada as 103 wildfires rage across Alberta

Wildfires raged across western Canada on Saturday, forcing 24,000 people to evacuate their homes, authorities said.

Roughly 301,243 acres burned in 103 separate blazes, said Alberta Premier Danielle Smith.

Forty-five new fires took during Friday and Saturday, said NBC News.

At least 31 of the 92 fires reported Friday were considered to be out of control, said the Alberta Emergency Management Agency.

A total of 24,511 people have been effected by mandatory evacuations across northern and central Alberta.

Another 5,200 have been placed under evacuation alert in what is being described as a “rapidly-evolving situation,” said Smith.

In response to the wildfires, Smith also activated her Cabinet’s emergency management committee, and said the government is prepared to use its emergency powers.

“Our top priority is and always will be public safety and we’re being briefed regularly by the experts who are handling the response,” Smith added.

As of Saturday, 14 Alberta counties and communities had declared states of emergency.

A wildfire in Fox Lake in northern Alberta destroyed 20 homes, a police station and a water treatment plant, reported the emergency management agency.

“This is a stark reminder of just how unpredictable and powerful wildfires can be,” said Stephen Lacroix, the Alberta emergency management agency’s managing director. “I ask you to keep the affected folks in your thoughts today.”

© New York Daily News

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #460 on: May 07, 2023, 09:19:28 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #461 on: May 07, 2023, 09:28:01 PM »
Police arrest 52 including republicans during King Charles' coronation

LONDON (Reuters) -Police arrested the leader of anti-monarchy group Republic and 51 others at King Charles's coronation on Saturday, saying their duty to prevent disruption outweighed the right to protest.

Hundreds of yellow-clad demonstrators gathered among the 10-deep crowds lining the procession route in central London to stand out from those clad in red, white and blue, and to hold up signs saying "Not My King".

Republic said its leader Graham Smith had been detained before the procession began and photos circulated on social media showing police officers seizing demonstrators' placards.

"We absolutely understand public concern following the arrests we made this morning," Commander Karen Findlay of the London Metropolitan police said in a statement.

"Over the past 24 hours there has been a significant police operation after we received information protesters were determined to disrupt the Coronation procession."

Republic had vowed to mount the biggest protest against a British monarch in modern history and protesters booed as King Charles and Queen Camilla made their way to Westminster Abbey, and as the service was relayed publicly on large speakers.

"It is disgusting and massively over the top," said Kevin John, 57, a salesman from Devon who was among the protesters.

"It is also hugely counterproductive by the police because all it has done is create a massive amount of publicity for us. It is completely crazy."

Police did not confirm Smith's arrest. They said they had acted because they believed protesters would seek to deface public monuments with paint and disrupt "official movements".

"All of these people remain in custody," Findlay said.

Police said in a separate statement on Saturday that they had arrested three people earlier in the day based on intelligence that protesters were planning to throw rape alarms at the procession which could have scared the horses involved and thereby caused a risk to public safety.

Amongst the items seized during the arrests in London's Soho district were a number of rape alarms, the police added.

Protests also took place in Glasgow in Scotland and Cardiff in Wales, with participants holding up signs saying: "Abolish the monarchy, feed the people." On social media, many contrasted Britain's cost of living crisis with the pomp and pageantry.

Although protesters were in a minority compared with the tens of thousands gathered to support the king, polls suggest support for the monarchy is declining and is weakest among young people.

With the crown passing from Queen Elizabeth to her less popular son, republican activists hope Charles will be the last British monarch to be crowned.

"It has a hereditary billionaire individual born into wealth and privilege who basically symbolises the inequality of wealth and power in our society," said Clive Lewis, an opposition Labour Party lawmaker.

STAGGERINGLY EXPENSIVE

In London, protesters demanded an elected head of state, saying that the royal family has no place in a modern constitutional democracy and is staggeringly expensive.

"Don't you think this is all a bit silly," said one placard.

Most of the anti-monarchy protesters had congregated in Trafalgar Square next to the bronze statue of King Charles I, who was beheaded in 1649, leading to a short-lived republic.

Since Charles became king last September, there have been protests at royal events. He was heckled at a Commonwealth Day event at Westminster Abbey in March and targeted with eggs in York in November.

The death of the queen has also reignited debate in Australia, Jamaica and other parts of the Commonwealth over the need to retain Charles as their head of state.

The state government of New South Wales said it had decided not to light up the sails of the Sydney Opera House to mark the coronation in order to save money. Events in other countries where Charles is head of state were also low key.

While many other European monarchies have come and gone, or are far diminished in scale and importance, the British royal family has remained remarkably resilient.

In Britain, polls show the majority still want the royal family, but there is a long-term trend of declining support.

A poll by YouGov last month found 64% of people in Britain said they had little or no interest in the coronation. Among those aged 18 to 24, the number rose to 75%.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/police-arrest-anti-monarchy-protesters-ahead-king-charles-coronation-2023-05-06/

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #462 on: May 07, 2023, 10:30:31 PM »
As $3 Billion Kidnapping Lawsuit Assaults His Fledgling Career, Dwayne Johnson Reportedly Kicked Out of $4.5B Johnny Depp Franchise
https://fandomwire.com/as-3-billion-kidnapping-lawsuit-assaults-his-fledgling-career-dwayne-johnson-reportedly-kicked-out-of-4-5b-johnny-depp-franchise-pirates-of-the-caribbean/

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #462 on: May 07, 2023, 10:30:31 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #463 on: May 08, 2023, 05:15:09 AM »