Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: U.S. Politics  (Read 112318 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: U.S. Politics
« Reply #1488 on: June 06, 2023, 09:27:13 AM »
Advertisement
That president is used to bankruptcy court': House Democrat hits Trump over calls for US to default

United States Representative Jared Moskowitz (D-Florida) made fun of former President Donald Trump's business failures during an interview about the debt ceiling on Monday's edition of NBC News' Meet the Press Now.

"All right. You said you plan on using the debt ceiling actually in your campaign messaging. This is something that you said in Axios. 'Moskowitz who just won by five points in 2022 says he does plan to incorporate the debt ceiling into his campaign message, arguing that a vote for Democrats is a vote for normalcy on the issue.' And you said, 'We already had Donald Trump saying live on CNN that the US should default. Imagine what he would say in January or February or March of the next year,'" the host recalled.

"Do you think your voters are paying attention to the debt ceiling, that they know what's going on, that that's something you can use as a pitch to them to see you reelected in the next campaign?" Moskowitz was asked.

"Well, look, obviously, thankfully we didn't see, like, a decrease in our credit rating like we saw ten years ago So I don't know that they were paying attention to it as much this time as they, we were, they were last time. Quite frankly, Washington has cried wolf a lot on the debt ceiling, so possibly people tune it out," Moskowitz replied.

"But I will say I, I was concerned when I see a former president of the United States saying, 'We should default' as if somehow the United States would just go to bankruptcy court, which is what that president is used to," Moskowitz quipped of Trump's history of insolvency.

"Imagine what he would say a year from now — exactly my point — weaponizing, you know, the full faith and credit of the United States," Moskowitz added. "So what I am gonna say to my voters is, what I did say before, is what you saw in the midterm election. I was elected in the midterm election where Democrats did a lot better than everybody thought. It's because I am pushing normal. I am pushing sanity. I am pushing logic. It's enough of all the noise. I mean, we're not gonna govern via Twitter."

“I see [Trump] saying ‘we should default,’ as if somehow the [U.S.] would just go to bankruptcy court, which is what that president is used to."

Watch: https://twitter.com/i/status/1665825016498233345

AZ GOP senator proudly flies flag adopted by ‘fringe’ far-right extremists

A West Valley Republican state senator proudly displays a flag tied to Christian nationalism and other extremist movements on her desk on the floor of the Arizona Senate, though she says she has embraced the symbol for its historical meaning and doesn’t care that “fringe groups” have adopted it.

The white flag with a pine tree on it and the phrase “An Appeal to Heaven” was originally used by George Washington and the Continental Army. It was later adopted by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as its naval and maritime flag from 1776 until 1971, when it was replaced by a similar flag that did not include the phrase “An Appeal to Heaven.”

In recent years, the flag has been adopted by evangelical Christians and Christian nationalists, who see the flag as a rallying call. Christian nationalists believe that the United States is Christian nation that should base its laws and practices around the teachings of Christianity. For followers of the movement, the flag symbolizes what they view as America’s Christian roots.

The flag has also been embraced by far-right extremist organizations like the Proud Boys and some neo-Nazi groups.

Arizona Sen. Janae Shamp, R-Surprise, rejected the notion that her use of the flag indicates anything beyond her commitment to fighting to protect “our liberty and freedoms” from “the too many wanna be kings who inhabit elected office and (government) bureaucracies.”

“Something that has had a particular meaning for 250 years retains its original meaning, no matter which fringe group might seek to co-opt it,” Shamp said in an emailed response to questions about the flag. “I hope and pray that my fight enjoys a similarly favorable outcome as (George) Washington’s original struggle, and that I will succeed in restoring at least some small measure of liberty before I’m done.

“That’s why I fly the flag. I don’t know who else uses it or for what.”

Shamp did not respond to questions about whether she embraced the beliefs of Christian nationalism, and said she doesn’t know anything about Christian dominionism, a closely related belief system. She called the Arizona Mirror’s line of inquiry “lazy” and “an attempted hit.”

“I work everyday with people of all faiths and even some who hold no particular faith or even no faith at all. That’s how America works,” she wrote. “So anybody stupid enough to try to put me into some sort of discriminatory box deserves the public ridicule they’ll get for trying to convince people of something so obviously wrong.”

To investigative journalist, author and researcher David Neiwart, who has written extensively about the far-right and conspiracy theorists, the lines between many different groups have begun to blur as a “universe” of far-right groups from QAnon, militias, white supremacists and others have gained political influence, particularly among conservatives.

Most of them, however, share a few things in common, he said, including beliefs in “right-wing authoritarianism” and the alleged supremacy of Christianity.

And after looking at the various people and things Shamp has supported over the years, including various extremist and Christian nationalist figures and causes, Neiwart said it’s clear to him that Shamp ascribes to those beliefs.

“She is definitely a Christian nationalist, she is definitely QAnon, and a fully enraptured Trumpite,” Neiwert said.

While a surge in Christian nationalism in recent years has garnered media attention — due in part to high-profile conservatives like U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, who has explicitly declared herself a Christian nationalist, and the backing of influential leaders like white nationalist Nick Fuentes — Christian dominionism has similarly been on the rise, though with much less fanfare.

While Christian nationalism centers on the idea that God intended America to be a Christian nation — one without religious pluralism — and that Christians should control all levels of government and society, Christian dominionism holds that Christians should take total control over most aspects of society.

One of the more popular Dominionist beliefs is in the so-called “Seven Mountain Mandate,” which draws from the biblical book of Revelations and requires Christians to invade the “seven spheres” of society: family, religion, education, media, entertainment, business, and government. In doing so, American life can be reshaped to hew to conservative Christian values.

The idea has been embraced and promoted by people like Turning Point USA leader Charlie Kirk and Paula White, the televangelist who served as a “spiritual advisor” to Donald Trump while he was president.

According to Neiwart, the key difference between Christian dominionism and nationalism is that dominionists want everyone under Christian rule, while nationalists think everyone should convert to Christianity.

“Christian nationalists take it a step further than Christian Dominionists,” Neiwart said, adding that a dominionist wouldn’t care if a Muslim was present, “they just want them under the thumb of Christian leaders.”

One of the biggest promoters of Christian nationalism and dominionism has been disgraced Ret. Gen. Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser, who has claimed that he is waging “spiritual warfare” and building an “army of God.” Flynn is also known to associate with other known Dominionist groups.

Shamp is a fervent supporter of Flynn’s, and has posted praise of Flynn often on social media. The recent COVID-19 special committee she co-chaired was sponsored in part by an organization that Flynn co-founded.

“I get goosebumps every time General Flynn talks about our great Nation!” Shamp said in a December 2021 post accompanied by a video of Flynn.

At a Trump rally in Florence in January 2022, Shamp told Business Insider that the “No. 1 person standing up for ‘we, the people’ is probably Gen. Michael Flynn.”

She explained that Flynn was helping fight for the “grassroots, for citizens to get involved, for us to take our country back” from the “political elite.” Flynn later endorsed Shamp in her bid for the Arizona Senate.

Shamp, a conservative from Surprise, has also been found to have shared a number of QAnon posts on her Facebook, including some linked to Neo-Nazis and antisemites.

The flag, which Shamp displays on her desk and in her Twitter banner image, has also been connected to extremist groups and violent events. During the violent events of Jan. 6, the flag was seen being carried by a number of individuals.

It has also been adopted by groups that support the likes of Fuentes, who during protests over mask mandates and COVID vaccines, flew the flag, as well as at their annual gatherings, according to Neiwart.

That is what in part makes it hard to know who exactly was flying the flag at the riots on Jan. 6, far-right extremists or Christian nationalist types, Neiwart said, but that doesn’t change one underlying thing.

“I would say Christian nationalism as a phenomenon is one of the real undergirding movements involved in the insurrection,” Neiwart said, adding that the militias and other groups such as the OathKeepers all had underlying Christian nationalist roots or beliefs. “All these Christian patriots that formed these militias are Christian nationalists as well.”

Shamp’s flag is not the first time the flag has appeared in the Arizona Senate, either.

Last year, the Secular Coalition of Arizona pointed out that a small version of the flag was being displayed on the security desk in the Arizona Senate; it was later removed. A spokeswoman for the Arizona Senate Republican caucus did not respond to multiple requests for comment about what policies, if any, the Senate has regarding the display of flags.

A larger version of the flag was displayed in the second-floor lobby of the Arizona House of Representatives last year, as well. Again, after the Secular Coalition of Arizona inquired about the flag, it was quietly removed. The flag had previously been displayed in the chamber in 2017.

The Secular Coalition of Arizona sees the flag as a violation of the constitutional doctrine requiring a separation of church and state.

For Neiwart, the appearance of the “An Appeal to Heaven” flag in Arizona, and statehouses across the country, is troubling.

“It is a pretty clear sign that this stuff has been mainstreamed and that is not a good thing,” he said. “I don’t think Americans typically awake to an existential threat until it creates a disaster of monumental proportions.”

https://www.azmirror.com/2023/06/05/janae-shamp-az-senator-proudly-flies-flag-adopted-by-fringe-far-right-extremists/

Ron DeSantis mocked over bizarre video of roaring laughter: ‘A faulty robot’

Florida governor howled with apparent amusement at car show in Iowa

Ron DeSantis has been mocked for a bizarre video that shows him roaring with laughter at an Iowa car show.

The Florida governor, who is expected to soon announce he is taking on Donald Trump for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, was caught on video cracking up at the Feenstra Family Picnic event last weekend.

During the appearance in Sioux Center, Iowa, DeSantis asked a man how much a 1955 Porsche at the event was worth.

“Ugh, we won’t even talk about that,” the man replied, which saw the Republican hopeful throw back his head and howl with apparent amusement.

Mr DeSantis’s seemingly over-the-top reaction in the viral clip saw him widely ridiculed online.

"You’ve seen the photos, but the video is somehow worse,” tweeted the anti-Trump political group The Lincoln Project.

Watch: https://twitter.com/i/status/1658527236532600850

And another user added: “Timing is off, too. Sounds as though DeSantis AI started laughing before the guy finished his answer.”

“Such an awkward, odd, cringey, meatball of a man…” another Twitter user wrote, while one user compared him to “a faulty robot from Westworld.”

"Ron DeSantis is proof that artificial intelligence still has a long way to go before it can accurately replicate an authentic human laugh,” tweeted Mrs Betty Bowers, a character created by comic Deven Green.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/ron-desantis-laughing-video-b2345049.html

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1488 on: June 06, 2023, 09:27:13 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1489 on: June 06, 2023, 09:42:34 AM »
Biden welcomes Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/05/kansas-city-chiefs-white-house-visit-00100179

President Biden @POTUS

Today, I welcomed the 2023 Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs to the White House!

This season, the Chiefs showed us the power of one of the most elusive things: unity.

Despite their different backgrounds, players worked together with a distinct style – in constant motion with a joy for the game, love for each other, and love for the great city they represent.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1665905097484771328

President Biden hosts Kansas City Chiefs at White House | full video

President Biden welcomed the Super Bowl LVII champions, the Kansas City Chiefs, to the White House Monday afternoon. The Chiefs beat the Philadelphia Eagles in February to clinch their second championship in four seasons.

Watch:

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #1490 on: June 06, 2023, 01:49:22 PM »
Poor Old Joe continues a steady cognitive and physical decline.  Even the most radicalized Trump hater must be able to watch Old Joe and understand that he is not mentally and physically capable of another full term as president.  It is dangerous for the country and world.  It is also sad to witness.  His family should intervene. 

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1490 on: June 06, 2023, 01:49:22 PM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1491 on: June 06, 2023, 10:15:35 PM »
'Nothing off the table': Ron Wyden says subpoena possible for billionaire Harlan Crow

U.S. Senate Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden on Tuesday said that "nothing is off the table"— including a subpoena — after a lawyer for Republican mega-donor Harlan Crow continued to duck questions about the billionaire's gifts to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and his relatives.

In a June 2 letter to Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Crow attorney Michael Bopp expressed "respect" for the panel's "important role in formulating legislation concerning our federal courts system," while stating that he would "welcome a discussion with your staff."

However, Bopp also reiterated his assertion that "Congress does not have the power to impose ethics standards on the Supreme Court" and "therefore cannot mount an investigation for the purpose of helping craft such standards."

"It comes as little surprise that Mr. Crow is doubling down on bogus legal theories as he continues to stonewall basic questions about his gifts to Clarence Thomas and his family."

Thomas and Crow have repeatedly refused to answer questions about years of gifts—including luxury vacations and private school tuition—to the right-wing justice and members of his family.

In response to Bopp's assertion—which has been roundly refuted by Durbin and legal experts—Wyden, a progressive Oregon Democrat, accused the Gibson Dunn partner of "stonewalling."

"It comes as little surprise that Mr. Crow is doubling down on bogus legal theories as he continues to stonewall basic questions about his gifts to Clarence Thomas and his family. If anything, the most recent letter from his attorney raises more questions than it answers," the senator said in a statement.

"The letter states, 'charter rates or reimbursements at rates prescribed by law were paid to the Crow family entities' with zero additional detail that could help clarify these financial arrangements, such as exactly who made those payments for Justice Thomas' extravagant luxury travel, and how many times and in what amounts those payments were made," Wyden continued.

"Far too often, efforts to investigate real-life tax practices of the ultra-wealthy and powerful end with this kind of vague, carefully-worded assurance that everything is on the level. That's simply not good enough," he argued. "This is exactly why the Finance Committee is pursuing this matter as part of its broader review of gift and estate tax practices of ultra-high net worth individuals."

Wyden added: "I've already begun productive discussions with the Finance Committee on next steps to compel answers to our questions from Mr. Crow, including by subpoena, and those discussions will continue."

https://www.rawstory.com/harlan-crow-2661028889/

Harlan Crow’s lawyer agrees to meet with Senate Judiciary members

Following a series of bombshell reports by ProPublica, the Senate Judiciary Committee has been investigating U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas' relationship with billionaire GOP donor Harlan Crow. In May, Crow declined an invitation to meet with Committee members. But according to Reuters, a letter released on Tuesday, June 6 shows that Crow's attorney, Michael Bopp, has offered to meet with them.

Thomas' relationship with Crow became a major controversy on April 6, when ProPublica reported that for "over 20 years," Thomas had "been treated to luxury vacations" by the Republican donor — and failed to disclose those trips. Then, on April 13, ProPublica reported that Crow had purchased property from Thomas, and the justice had not reported that either.

On May 4, ProPublica reported that Crow made tuition payments when Thomas' grandnephew attended a private boarding school.

In response to these reports, progressive Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-New York) has been calling for Thomas' impeachment. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) has urged the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) to investigate Thomas.

But Thomas and Crow have maintained that there is nothing inappropriate about their relationship.

Democratic members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, meanwhile, have said that the Thomas/Crow relationship underscores the need for a formal Supreme Court code of ethics. Their request to meet with Crow, however, was merely a request and not a subpoena.

In a letter dated Monday, June 5, Reuters reports, Bopp "reiterated that he does not think the Committee has the power to request information from Crow or to impose ethics standards on the nation's top judicial body, as it is considering pursuing."

Bopp said that "we respect the Senate Judiciary Committee's important role in formulating legislation concerning our federal courts system, and would welcome a discussion with your staff."

Reuters notes, "Unlike other federal judges, Supreme Court justices are not bound by the code of conduct adopted by the policymaking body for the broader U.S. judiciary that requires federal judges to avoid even the 'appearance of impropriety.'"

Read More Here: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/lawyer-billionaire-linked-us-justice-thomas-offers-meet-senate-staff-2023-06-06/

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1492 on: June 06, 2023, 10:23:39 PM »
Biden to seek more than $2.8 billion from Congress for ‘cancer moonshot’

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is asking Congress for more than $2.8 billion in the federal budget he’s sending to Capitol Hill on Thursday to help advance his cancer-fighting goals.

More than half of the money, $1.7 billion, would go to the Department of Health and Human Services to support the Democratic president’s cancer initiatives across an array of departments and agencies, according to White House officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share details with The Associated Press before Biden formally unveiled his spending blueprint on Thursday in Philadelphia.

The funding request would support a “cancer moonshot’ initiative Biden announced last year with the goal of cutting cancer death rates in half over the next 25 years. Biden aims to help close gaps in cancer screenings, better understand and address environmental and toxic exposures associated with certain cancers, and reduce the effects of preventable cancers, such as those linked to tobacco and poor nutrition. The initiative also spends money on cutting-edge research and resources to support patients and their caregivers.

The “moonshot” program was launched in 2016 by President Barack Obama and led by his vice president — Biden. As president, Biden resurrected the initiative last year.

Cancer is personal for Biden and his wife, Jill, as the disease is for millions of people in the United States who have been diagnosed with cancer or have lost loved ones to various forms of the disease. Both the president and the first lady this year had lesions removed from their skin that were determined to be basal cell carcinoma, a common and easily treated form of cancer.

In 2015, the Bidens’ eldest son, Beau, died of an aggressive brain cancer at age 46.

While Biden’s budget is unlikely to clear Congress untouched, fighting cancer is an issue that Biden hopes can find bipartisan support.

Cancer is among four issues that Biden made part of a “unity agenda” he announced in his 2022 State of the Union address. Veterans, drug abuse and mental health are the other issues. Congress last year passed numerous pieces of legislation to address aspects of the agenda.

In recognition of March as National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, the White House on Friday was hosting a discussion with government officials and others on improving outcomes for this particular form of cancer.

Excluding some skin cancers, colorectal cancer is the fourth most-common cancer in men and women and the fourth leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Featured speakers will include Simone Ledward Boseman, the widow of “Black Panther” star Chadwick Boseman, who died in 2020 at age 43 after a four-year battle with colon cancer, and NBC News anchor Craig Melvin, who lost an older brother to the same disease, also at age 43.

Separately on Friday, Jill Biden was scheduled to visit the Louisiana Cancer Research Center in New Orleans with U.S. Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., and his wife, Laura, to talk about the president’s cancer budget request and highlight the importance of colorectal cancer screenings. The Cassidys are medical doctors.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/biden-to-seek-more-than-2-8-billion-from-congress-for-cancer-moonshot

President Biden Delivers Remarks on the Cancer Moonshot and the Goal of Ending Cancer as we Know It

Watch:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1492 on: June 06, 2023, 10:23:39 PM »

Online Richard Smith

« Reply #1493 on: June 06, 2023, 11:05:46 PM »
One of the strongest pools of Republican candidates in history.  Trump, DeSantis, Scott, Pence, and Haley.  What a contrast to the Dem clown show. 

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1494 on: June 07, 2023, 03:31:41 AM »
'Actively rooting for Trump to go down': Insider says many Republicans are hoping for indictment

Washington Post reporter Carol Leonnig told MSNBC Tuesday that she's spoken to many Republicans who "actively rooting" for Donald Trump to go down.

Host Nicolle Wallace wondered if former Attorney General Bill Barr would have revealed information to Special Counsel Jack Smith about what he knew regarding the classified documents scandal. But, instead of answering the question, Leonnig explained that Barr is "emblematic" of other Republicans in the party.

"Claire [McCaskill] correctly describes as, you know, the old-school Republicans, and maybe some are rejoining it, maybe some are newly joining it, whatever," Leonnig explained. "But there are many of them that I've spoken to who are actively rooting for Trump to go down in this indictment."

She also explained that some of the Republican lawmakers have inside information that indicates that's exactly what is about to happen.

"And for information that they have either learned from their friends who were at the White House at the time or other evidence they've learned in ways that I can't talk about here, they are citing some of that evidence amongst themselves as incredibly damaging to Donald Trump politically," said Leonnig."

"Again, I'm just using and picking my words carefully. But to say that there is a raft of Republicans, many of whom served Donald Trump, who now are in the camp of 'I know a lot about' — I'm quoting -- I'm paraphrasing them, forgive me — 'I know a lot about what went down here.' And when it all comes out in Jack Smith's speaking indictment, which is what they're hoping for, the public will become aware of Donald Trump in a new way."

She acknowledges that such a statement has been heard before and "everybody thinks he put himself first and didn't give a hoot about the country." Still, this time could be different, she said.

The Trump investigation involves claims he kept classified documents in his Mar-a-Lago home and even talked about them to guests. A report last week claimed there was a recording of him talking about a document that involved plans to attack Iran.

Trump "was willing to put them in public view, outside of their lock and key, in order to try to harm a political enemy, the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff," she explained. "And by the way, he was misusing those documents not just because they were classified but he was misdescribing what was in them. At least, that's the evidence we have right now."

Wallace asked for more details about the evidence that the so-called "insiders" know about that will be so harmful to Trump.

The alleged Iran memo from Gen. Mark Milley may not have ever existed, Leonnig said, noting that Milley briefed Trump on the numerous options available that had both pros and cons about each possible action.

"And I think there are a lot of Republicans and insiders who feel that this is emblematic of something Trump did often with classified materials," Leonnig explained. "They were of utility to him personally. And to paraphrase some of their words, 'Damn the country. Damn the country's safety. It was about what helps Donald Trump.'"

What remains to be seen is what Smith has found out about those pieces of Trump's willingness to use classified information for his own means.

Watch:

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #1494 on: June 07, 2023, 03:31:41 AM »

Offline Rick Plant

« Reply #1495 on: June 07, 2023, 08:41:22 AM »
Ron DeSantis and the radical right no longer have their phony talking point about murder and crime because both have seen a sharp decline in 2023.

U.S. Murder Rate Down, Especially in Big Cities, Early 2023 Data Show
https://www.davisvanguard.org/2023/06/u-s-murder-rate-down-especially-in-big-cities-early-2023-data-show/

Ron DeSantis Wants You to Be Scared Senseless About Crime (Don’t Be)

Florida’s governor is trying to out-Trump Trump on ‘American Carnage’ panic—but the fact is his state has way more crime than the “woke” cities he decries

SUNSHINE STATE SNOWFLAKE

Ron DeSantis wants you to be worried about crime. The Florida governor has apparently decided that the only way to peel primary voters away from Donald Trump is to be more Trump than Trump. So in truly Trumpian fashion, DeSantis is attacking Trump for the most competent thing the former president did—expediting approval of the COVID vaccine—and the most decent, the First Step Act.

Crime has been Trump’s pet issue since he launched his first campaign. It's an issue he returns to over and over. In his grim “American Carnage” inaugural address, Trump began his presidency with a grotesque vision of a country ravaged by violence.

It wasn't accurate—Trump inherited the lowest homicide rate of any president in 50 years. Perhaps it was aspirational. He was also the first president in 30 years to leave the White House with a higher national homicide rate than when he entered it.

DeSantis appears to be following the same playbook. The policies DeSantis is pushing haven’t mitigated crime in Florida. The state has mostly followed national trends. But when you’re trying to out-Trump Trump, you don’t bother with facts, data, or reality. Your weapon is fear.

We can start with the First Step Act, Trump’s uncharacteristically hopeful and optimistic criminal justice reform bill (which, naturally, he later regretted). DeSantis recently called the law a “jailbreak bill” that “allowed dangerous people out of prison who have now re-offended, and really, really hurt a number of people.”

There's no evidence for any of this. If a significant number of prisoners released under the FSA have gone on to commit new violent or sex crimes, we'd know their names. Their photos would be on the cover of the New York Post, their names emblazoned in Fox News chyrons. So far, the best they can do is Glynn Neal, a man who stabbed a staffer from Sen. Rand Paul’s office shortly after his release from prison.

But Neal would have been released without the FSA. The new law reduced his sentence by a matter of days. I asked the DeSantis campaign for other examples. They did not respond to my request.

In fact, the vast majority of prisoners released early under the FSA would have been released anyway. In most cases, like Neal’s, the law merely expedited their release by a few weeks or months.

"The murder rate in San Francisco is significantly lower than that of the entire state of Florida—an incredible statistic, given that crime is usually more concentrated in cities."

Repealing the First Step Act will actually result in more crime. The thrust of the bill—and most of its funding—is geared toward data-proven programs shown to reduce recidivism. And here the First Step Act has been an unqualified success. The overall recidivism rate among federal prisoners is 43 percent. For those who have benefitted from FSA programs, it's about 16 percent.

Again, the overwhelming majority of those released under the FSA who would have been released even without the law. But their rate of reoffending dropped by two-thirds.

If DeSantis succeeds in repealing the FSA, it seems logical that the recidivism rate among those who would have benefitted from the law will go back to what it is for federal prisoners in general. And that means more crime, not less.

DeSantis is also one-upping Trump on immigration.

Trump sought to punish “sanctuary cities,” despite warnings from police chiefs and groups like the International Association of Chiefs of Police that vigorous enforcement would result in immigrants fearing police, which would lead to less cooperation, which would lead to more crime. Trump waged federal raids in many of those cities anyway. As predicted, trust between immigrant communities and police in those cities broke down, those communities were less willing to cooperate with police, and that brought more crime.

DeSantis hasn’t just exploited anti-immigrant bigotry, he’s managed to be even more performatively cruel about it than Trump, with his much-publicized stunts of luring desperate migrants in Texas onto planes, then dropping them off in other parts of the country—all funded by Florida taxpayers.

DeSantis has also borrowed from Trump’s attempt to weaponize state power. Trump believed federal law enforcement agencies ought to be his personal enforcers. He pushed the FBI and other agencies to investigate and arrest his enemies and of course famously fired FBI director James Comey for refusing to take a loyalty oath. Trump also tried to enlist the Justice Department, the Department of Homeland Security, and then even the Pentagon to help him overturn the 2020 election.

Not only has DeSantis not condemned Trump for any of that, he has explicitly criticized those agencies for rebuffing Trump's attempts to corrupt them, and has promised that as president, he’d be better at coercing them to do his bidding.

As governor, DeSantis has already demonstrated his commitment to corrupting law enforcement. Earlier this year he forcibly removed a state’s attorney—Andrew Warren—from office. Warren was among the new breed of progressive prosecutors who “take it upon themselves to determine which laws they like and will enforce and which laws they don’t like and won’t enforce,” DeSantis said, “and the results of this in cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco have been catastrophic.”

Here, too, reality doesn't support DeSantis’ rhetoric.

The murder rate in San Francisco is significantly lower than that of the entire state of Florida—an incredible statistic, given that crime is usually more concentrated in cities. The murder rate in Los Angeles is significantly lower than major Florida cities like Miami and Tallahassee. And Jacksonville has consistently had the highest murder rate in the state, despite a series of Republican mayors and lead prosecutors.

DeSantis has also repeated the Republican line that crime has soared in blue cities because of “woke” criminal justice policy. That too just isn’t true. In 2020 and 2021, the homicide rate in GOP whipping boy cities like New York and San Francisco was lower than that of nearly every large Republican-run city, including Omaha, Fresno, Tulsa, Colorado Springs, and Oklahoma City.

As for Tampa, the murder rate did go up under Warren’s watch in 2020 and 2021. But it went up just about everywhere. The city still has a lower murder and overall crime rate than nearby St. Petersburg, which has a Republican prosecutor.

In March, a daming New York Times investigation showed just how phony and staged DeSantis’ removal of Warren really was. DeSantis had asked staff to bring him statistics showing that Warren’s policies had contributed to an increase in crime. But his staff couldn't find any such data. That didn’t stop DeSantis from making the accusation, anyway. He just removed the passage from his announcement where he planned to cite statistics. In other words, Warren’s removal was nakedly political.

During the 2020 protests after the murder of George Floyd, Trump sent militarized federal police to cities around the country to break the will of protesters, and despite what the right would like you to think, his administration violently cleared peaceful protesters from a D.C. park so Trump could stage a photo op at a church while clutching a Bible.

DeSantis has shown a willingness to weaponize law enforcement for photo-ops, too. He sent Florida cops out to arrest citizens he alleged had committed “voter fraud”—people who, it turns out, were legitimately confused about the law, and had actually been encouraged by state officials to register to vote. So far, none of those arrests have held up, and some of the law enforcement officials sent to make the arrests seemed embarrassed for participating in the charade.

Donald Trump gave red meat speeches to friendly law enforcement groups, during which he made light of and essentially endorsed police brutality. DeSantis learned from that, too. In the lead-up to the launch of his campaign, DeSantis gave a series of speeches to law enforcement crowds in New York in which he blamed policies like bail and police reform for the city's crime.

Here, too, DeSantis has little data to back up his claims. Like San Francisco, New York City has lower rates of both violent and property crime than the entire state of Florida—again, a remarkable statistic given that more population density tends to correlate with more crime.

"It’s hard to conceive of more brazen attacks on the rule of law than a governor ordering sham arrests for cable news headlines, abusing desperate migrants seeking asylum to ‘own the libs,’ or willfully importing cops with a history of abusing the people they serve.”

If we compare the entire states, the discrepancy only grows. The overall homicide rate in Florida is about 50 percent higher than that of New York state. In Miami, Florida's largest metro area—which has a Republican mayor and a traditional chief prosecutor—the homicide rate is about twice that of New York City. The NYPD also has a significantly higher clearance rate than Miami.

DeSantis wants you to think that woke policies are stopping New York’s cops from doing their jobs. But when it comes to both preventing and solving crimes, New York's city cops perform far better than Florida’s.

And while Trump merely encouraged police brutality, DeSantis one-upped him there, too—he incentivized it. In 2021, the governor announced taxpayer-funded signing bonuses for any police officer who relocated to Florida from cities with what he called “anti-cop” policies. Hundreds of cops have since taken the offer, many of them from NYPD.

The Miami Herald and Daily Dot have since found that dozens of officers who moved to the state under the program have lengthy disciplinary histories, have accumulated multiple citizen complaints ranging from excessive force to racism to sexual misconduct, and have cost their former cities hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawsuits.

One former NYPD officer who accepted DeSantis’ offer had been charged with reckless endangerment after driving his car into a crowd of protesters in the summer of 2020. Another officer lured by the governor’s $6,700 signing bonus has since been charged with domestic abuse after a woman accused him of beating then grabbing her by the hair and choking her when she tried to escape. Still another was arrested and charged with murder after shooting and killing her husband.

This shouldn’t surprise anyone. The entire premise of DeSantis’ scheme was to appeal to officers who felt they’d been unfairly disciplined, who wanted to work for departments with less oversight, have fewer rules, and give them more freedom—and felt so strongly about it that they were willing to move to another state.

There’s compelling research suggesting that crime tends to increase as people lose trust in political and criminal justice institutions. The more people believe state power is being manipulated for political ends and that the system is rigged against them, the less likely they are to cooperate with police and trust the courts to fairly mete out justice.

It’s hard to conceive of more brazen attacks on the rule of law than a governor ordering sham arrests for cable news headlines, abusing desperate migrants seeking asylum to “own the libs,” or willfully importing cops with a history of abusing the people they serve.

There is at least one important difference between Trump and DeSantis. While Trump was enormously successful at tapping grievance politics to build a sizable cult of personality, fortunately for all of us he lacked the competence and discipline to implement his more authoritarian impulses.

DeSantis has the opposite problem. He’s shown aptitude at centralizing his power and getting lawmakers to implement some of the most repressive policies in the country, but thus far has been awkward and clumsy on the national campaign trail.

The more voters get to know him, the less they seem to like him. If he manages to find some charisma, he could be a considerable force—and an enormously destructive one.

But there's little reason to think he'll make the country any safer.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ron-desantis-wants-you-to-be-scared-shtless-about-crime-dont-be