Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Edward VIII  (Read 14 times)

Offline Jerry Organ

Edward VIII
« on: Today at 01:07:59 AM »
Advertisement
There's a documentary about Edward VIII called "Britain's Traitor King" making the rounds in North America. I watched it a few days ago on CBC, and it's scheduled for this Sunday on PBS.

It's based on a book by sensationalist author Andrew Lownie, the new Anthony Summers. I'm not saying the former King didn't have some blind admiration (along the lines of Joseph Kennedy and America First) for the prewar Nazi system, but Lownie makes mountains out of molehills. For example, Edward hoped that the bombing of England would lead to ceasefire talks, which Lownie takes to mean Edward relished England being bombed.

It's like someone saying he hoped the assassination of Kennedy would lead to better protection for the Office, and the likes of Lownie spinning that to say the person wanted Kennedy assassinated.

Lownie begrudges the King's lavished lifestyle, but how else was he expected to live and be treated by friends in his circle? The show leaves the impression that Edward never went back to England or had contact with his family. He not only went back to England but he had visits with the Queen. I read that when Edward was Governor of Barbados, he was shocked at the proverty, and helped to improve conditons.

JFK Assassination Forum

Edward VIII
« on: Today at 01:07:59 AM »