Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: The 2000 books claim - is it true?  (Read 4185 times)

Online Gerry Down

The 2000 books claim - is it true?
« on: February 14, 2021, 09:29:16 AM »
Advertisement
This claim seems to be going back all the way to the 1990's. As an example, in her ARRB testimony Ann Goodpasture said "there are 2,000 – over 2,000 books already been written."

I heard James Tague once say he owned 500 books in relation to the Kennedy assassination and Walt Brown say he amassed a library of 1000 books in relation to the assassination. I don't know how many books are in the 6th Floor Museum library. One would presume that library would have pretty much every book ever written on the assassination.

Is the 2000 books claim true? And how many books are there now in 2021 I wonder?

JFK Assassination Forum

« on: February 14, 2021, 09:29:16 AM »

Online W. Tracy Parnell

• W. Tracy Parnell Debunking JFK Conspiracy Theories
Re: The 2000 books claim - is it true?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 05:10:32 PM »
Bugliosi reported 933 books "dealing exclusively with the assassination" as of 2006. Andy Winiarczyk of the Last Hurrah Book Shop told Bugliosi the 2000 figure was "too high." (Reclaiming History Endnotes, pp. 2-3)

Online Steve M. Galbraith

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 05:21:15 PM »
This claim seems to be going back all the way to the 1990's. As an example, in her ARRB testimony Ann Goodpasture said "there are 2,000 – over 2,000 books already been written."

I heard James Tague once say he owned 500 books in relation to the Kennedy assassination and Walt Brown say he amassed a library of 1000 books in relation to the assassination. I don't know how many books are in the 6th Floor Museum library. One would presume that library would have pretty much every book ever written on the assassination.

Is the 2000 books claim true? And how many books are there now in 2021 I wonder?
If the definition is "in relation to the assassination" then I would guess the thousands figure is likely true. Or close. That's kind of a vague definition though. Does a book on JFK's life - the Robert Dallek book for example which discusses the assassination - apply? How about a book on RFK that talks about his reaction to the assassination? What about Robert Caro's book on LBJ? He discusses the assassination and how LBJ reacted to it.

But I don't think that's what we are talking about. I would think books "only about the assassination" - English only? - are 1000 or so. But I would also guess (lotta' guessing here) that many or most were self-published or issued by small publishers and not major companies.

Amazon books has more than 50 pages with 35 books on each page under the search "JFK assassination." Some are directly about it; others less so. One is about how JFK was killed to prevent him from revealing the alien presence around us. No thanks, I'll wait for the paperback version. Maybe.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jfk+assassination&i=stripbooks&crid=12NKFMCQCF9XK&qid=1613320035&sprefix=jfk+ass%2Cstripbooks%2C159&ref=sr_pg_1

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 09:19:14 PM by Steve M. Galbraith »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 05:21:15 PM »

Online Gerry Down

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 08:05:43 PM »
Bugliosi reported 933 books "dealing exclusively with the assassination" as of 2006. Andy Winiarczyk of the Last Hurrah Book Shop told Bugliosi the 2000 figure was "too high." (Reclaiming History Endnotes, pp. 2-3)

Nice little factoid there. This is why I think Bugliosis book is important even if you don't agree with his conclusions. He went out and did little snippets of research like this to set the record straight. There are many conspiracy books that repeat the 2000 books claim and of course cite no source. They are just copying what someone else said.

Its surprising that someone as professional as Ann Goodpasture would repeat an unsubstantiated claim (i.e. of the 2000 books).

Online W. Tracy Parnell

• W. Tracy Parnell Debunking JFK Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 09:10:46 PM »
Nice little factoid there. This is why I think Bugliosis book is important even if you don't agree with his conclusions. He went out and did little snippets of research like this to set the record straight. There are many conspiracy books that repeat the 2000 books claim and of course cite no source. They are just copying what someone else said.

Its surprising that someone as professional as Ann Goodpasture would repeat an unsubstantiated claim (i.e. of the 2000 books).

Yes, I agree that his book is a must have. To be clear, Bugliosi's sources (Sawa and Vasbinder who taught a course on the assassination at the University of Pittsburgh) did say that there were 2000 books that "had chapters on the assassination" as opposed to being exclusively about it.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 09:10:46 PM »

Online Gerry Down

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 09:23:40 PM »
Yes, I agree that his book is a must have. To be clear, Bugliosi's sources (Sawa and Vasbinder who taught a course on the assassination at the University of Pittsburgh) did say that there were 2000 books that "had chapters on the assassination" as opposed to being exclusively about it.

I think even if a book has one chapter on the JFK assassination it might still be considered a JFK assassination book. For example, Richard Helms autobiography only has one chapter on the assassination. But I think his autobiography should be considered a "JFK assassination book" as there has been so much suspicion about him. 

Offline Bill Chapman

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 10:39:59 PM »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 10:39:59 PM »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 09:02:17 PM »
Count how many threads/posts have been placed just in this forum in the past two years and then it wouldn't surprise me.
There are a couple of other forums or so that might even help surpass that.