Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Hugh Aynesworth...Solver of the Kennedy Assassination  (Read 20924 times)

Offline Tom Scully

Re: Hugh Aynesworth...Solver of the Kennedy Assassination
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2019, 03:57:18 AM »
Advertisement
I find it rather unlikely that it would after all be his wife that would prod him to go down there. I also think it rather unlikely that she entered the police basement also... and stood alongside when Oswald was brought down.

Where are you getting that from?

I believe that I have already posted earlier in this thread what Hugh Aynesworth wrote in his book about it. And neither one is true!

Glad you asked....
1976 :

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/the-man-who-saw-too-much/
The Man Who Saw Too Much
Hugh Aynesworth can’t escape what he witnessed in 1963.

BY WILLIAM BROYLES
DATE MAR 1, 1976
ISSUE MARCH 1976

...converged on the Texas Theater, which was playing War is Hell; out front several Dallas police were preparing to enter. When they did, Aynesworth was with them. From the movie soundtrack came machine guns, grenades, the sounds of battle. As the police and Ayensworth gingerly went down the aisle, a thin man leaped up, pointed a pistol at the belly of Officer Nick McDonald and pulled the trigger. The gun clicked, failed to go off. After a brief struggle, the police held in their hands Lee Harvey Oswald, who shouted, “I protest this police brutality!”

Two days later Aynesworth’s wife suggested they go down to the police station to watch Oswald moved to the county jail. Aynesworth, who had been working night and day trying to piece together Oswald’s escape route, at first didn’t want to go. He was tired; there was no time for idle sight-seeing. His wife, however, prevailed, and both were in the basement when Jack Ruby lunged forward and fired that one shot into Oswald’s stomach.....

Aynesworth also, (reported under his by-line) put a little "special sauce" on William Whaley, transforming Whaley into a war hero, but could not have performed fact checking, or maybe Whaley's "Navy combat award" is classified? Whaley does not "add up". He got three years older, between his 1942 WWII military draft record and his death, and his son, William W. Whaley, Jr., claimed to be the son of Whaley, Sr.'s sister-in-law and her husband. Whaley family "lore" attributes the loss of Whaley, Jr. to "abduction," but the boy was recorded living with his aunt in the 1940 U.S. Census.

Between sketchy witness Whaley, and Mary Bledsoe having the same aunt as Russell Douglas Matthews, the Oswald "post TSBD" saga gets curiouser and curiouser!
"The aunt.": https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/114133448/adelaide-s-germany

Mary Bledsoe's uncle...his son, Jewell, Jr.,  obit link, described in his  father's 1958 obit, was first cousin of both Mary Bledsoe and RD Matthews:

America Germany Webb, was widow of Joe Webb. Joe Webb was related to Clarice Webb Campbell of Ennis, TX, wife of O.V. Campbell of the TSBD.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 05:21:53 AM by Tom Scully »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2019, 03:57:18 AM »

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2019, 04:49:06 AM »

Go get your eyes checked.

Your post that you made your claim in doesn't include any basis for your claim. If it is in an earlier post, then I missed it because I didn't look back there. Include something to support your claim in the same post as your claim and you might be able avoid such confusion.

FBI SA James Hosty... --Aynesworth = liar ............source cited
Aynesworth---I am not a liar---trust me [meaning = f**k off]
Whether or not Oswald was actually an informant for the FBI could not be revealed...so we will never know. We do know that Aynesworth supplied mis-information unless this post was read with your eyes closed. I realize that Mr Aynesworth must have really sugar talked you somewhere along the line.
Have him canonized if you wish.

You are now referencing an entirely different event than you did in the post that has your claim and that I responded to earlier. Here is another side of this incident from "Witness to History by Hugh Aynesworth:

One reporter who felt certain Oswald had worked for the government was Alonzo "Lonnie" Hudkins of the Houston Post. Lonnie called constantly, hoping I'd uncovered something to move the story along. In time, I grew tired of Lonnie's queries, especially since I doubted his sources were that good. One day as I was busily juggling deadline stories for Newsweek, where I was then a stringer, and the Times of London as well as a weekend piece for the News, Lonnie called once more and asked me, "You hear anything about this FBI link with Oswald?" Tired of him bugging me, I said to him "You got his payroll number, don't you?"

"Yeah, yeah," Lonnie said.

I reached over on my desk for a telegram and read part of a Telex number to him.

"Yeah, yeah, he said, "that's the same one I've got."

I knew that if Lonnie accepted the number as legitimate, he had nothing. He said he'd check his sources and get back to me.

Weeks passed, and I forgot about the call until January 1, 1964, when Hudkins published a front page article in the Post, alleging that Oswald may have been a federal operative. Naturally the story caused quite a stir. Members of the newly created Warren Commission summoned several top Texas law enforcement officials and advisers to Washingto to discuss the development, including Waggoner Carr, the state Attorney General, Dallas DA Henry Wade, and his assistant Bill Alexander; J. Edgar Hoover of course told the commission that the story was not true. The Texas folks denied any knowledge of where Hudkins got his story, and the story pretty much died - for a while.

Lonnie never disclosed his source for the bogus number, and I didn't admit to it for at least several years.

FBI Agent Joe Hosty was among those upset over the Hudkins story. In Assignment Oswald, he castigated me not only for the Jack Revill story that Jim Ewell and I published but also for being, along with Bill Alexander, the supposed source of Hudkins' fantasy.

When Hosty later called me, it was in part to apologize for that mistake. "Just wanted you to know that I visited with Hudkins later," he said, "and understand that it was his contention, not yours and Alexander's, about the alleged financial connection between the bureau and Oswald. I always admit my errors."

I know that you desperately want to believe Aynesworth is a liar. But it doesn't appear that way to me.

Aynesworth turned into the PR man for the official, "Oswald escape from the TSBD" story. Through his "reporting," Aynesworth propped up Whaley and RD Matthews' cousin, Mary Bledsoe's alleged bus driver, Cecil McWatters. McWatters worked for Dallas Transit, owned and  managed by brothers who had visited the Carousel Club and happened to be represented by Roy Cohn.

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/H%20Disk/Hudkins%20Lonnie/Item%2039.pdf

Weinbergs, employer of Cecil McWatters :

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1990-11-07-1990311082-story.html
Betty Fine Baltimore resident
THE BALTIMORE SUN
Services for Betty Fine, who lived in Baltimore for much of her life, will be held at 3 p.m. tomorrow at Sol Levinson & Bros. funeral establishment, 6010 Reisterstown Road.

Mrs. Fine, who was 80, died early yesterday at the Johns Hopkins Hospital after heart surgery. She lived in the Imperial Condominium.

She was the sister of Harry Weinberg, who died Sunday in Hawaii and left nearly $1 billion to a foundation for the poor. She was the wife of Melvin L. Fine, a lawyer who served as chairman of the Workmen's Compensation Commission and had been a state senator. He died in 1969.

The former Betty Weinberg was born in Galicia, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and was brought to Baltimore by her father in 1912. They lived in Southwest Baltimore.

She is survived by three sons, Stanley S. Fine and Howard Fine, both of Baltimore, and Robert B. Fine of Salisbury; three brothers, William, David and Nathan Weinberg, all of Pikesville; and seven grandchildren.
Near left side bottom:
....installed he was accompanied by DAVE, NATE and SIDNEY. WEINBERG, owners of the Dallas Transit System, and they went to the Carousel Club. ... BUREAU OF INVESTIOAY 'Y. HARMON SCHEPPS, Presiden -., Schepps Dairy, Inc .,
http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh23/pdf/WH23_CE_1557.pdf

Interestingly, Roy Cohn's most famous client, aside from POTUS Trump, was the son of a couple buried in the same small Jewish congregation cemetery in Gloversville, NY. Also in that cemetery of less than 500 graves, are the parents of George Senator, Ruby's roommate who testified that he had worked in the family lunch counter in Gloversville, located within shouting distance of Schine Chain Theaters H.Q. That's right, Senator could not have been closer to the family of Roy Cohn's client, G. David Scine, unless he had been an employee of Schine Chain. G. David Schine just happened to be Gen . Mgr. of the Schine owned, Ambassador Hotel in L.A. in 1968, making Schine the employer of Cesar Eugene Thane.

LNs "know what they know," they've persuaded me of that.

https://www.nytimes.com/1961/05/18/archives/fifth-ave-coach-scores-roy-cohn-tactics-in-dissidents-suit.html

WITNESS SAYS COHN AIDED 5TH AVE. COACH - The New ...
https://www.nytimes.com/1971/10/13/archives/witness-says-cohn-aided-5th-ave-coach.html
Oct 13, 1971 - The first defense witness at Roy M. Cohn's trial yesterday on conspiracy and other charges depicted him as a benefactor of the Fifth Avenue ...
If John Gotti Was The 'Teflon Don', Then Roy Cohn Was The 'Teflon Rogue'
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jameszirin/2014/07/08/if-john-gotti-was-the-teflon-don-then-roy-cohn-was-the-teflon-rogue/#6aca9bb73680
Jul 8, 2014 - If John Gotti was the “Teflon Don,” Roy Cohn was the “Teflon Rogue. ... harbored some sort of political grudge against him, and wanted to settle old scores. ... the group brought when the City seized Fifth Avenue Coach Lines.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:05:42 AM by Tom Scully »

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2019, 05:18:30 AM »
From the Aynesworth bio...
Aynesworth reported that activity converged upon the Texas School Book Depository, and that he did not enter the building possibly for fear of running into a gunman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Aynesworth
Now if you watch the video posted above starting @ 15:25 ...Aynesworth reflects how he turned into a swat officer armed with a pencil barging into a suspected fugitive holdup...apparently shirking all this fear that he previously had.
He can't remember where he got it...but Mr Aynesworth obtained the address where Oswald lived 22:10
27:25 - He relates that he ran down to city hall for Oswald's transfer apparently on his own initiative ...No mention of his wife.
So the story morphed from... she was in the basement with him [The Man Who Saw Too Much] to...she didn't go down to the basement ...to just maybe she simply didn't go downtown after all.
28:15...Calls Jack Ruby a "self promoter" and mentions how Ruby was always saying "Let me tell you what I saw" :)

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2019, 05:18:30 AM »

Online Charles Collins

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2019, 12:42:21 PM »
From the Aynesworth bio... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Aynesworth
Now if you watch the video posted above starting @ 15:25 ...Aynesworth reflects how he turned into a swat officer armed with a pencil barging into a suspected fugitive holdup...apparently shirking all this fear that he previously had.
He can't remember where he got it...but Mr Aynesworth obtained the address where Oswald lived 22:10
27:25 - He relates that he ran down to city hall for Oswald's transfer apparently on his own initiative ...No mention of his wife.
So the story morphed from... she was in the basement with him [The Man Who Saw Too Much] to...she didn't go down to the basement ...to just maybe she simply didn't go downtown after all.
28:15...Calls Jack Ruby a "self promoter" and mentions how Ruby was always saying "Let me tell you what I saw" :)

Jerry, if you are going to start a thread in an effort to discredit Hugh Aynesworth, then ignore what he wrote in his book (after it is pointed out to you). And instead, insist that what someone else wrote about him is grounds to discredit him, then sorry, but you lose all credibility with me.

Offline Jerry Freeman

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2019, 02:45:06 PM »

...  an effort to discredit Hugh Aynesworth,... but you lose all credibility with me.
Saying I had credibility previously? Hugh Aynesworth seemed to have no problem discrediting anyone who disagreed with him. In fact...he made it his life's work.
Hugh Aynesworth reflected how he had gone to Dealey Plaza to watch the motorcade and after the shooting-- stayed some 45 minutes or until he heard about the police involved shooting [he said]... taking notes on a couple of slips of paper. Yeah OK.
Of all the pictures taken at Dealey Plaza in the aftermath I have failed to see even one of him there.
He heard about the cop being shot on the police radio and he told a couple of TV reporters about it and they all left with haste.
They seemed to know exactly where to go. There are no pictures of Aynesworth at the Tippit scene...the Texas Theater...the Oswald house or the Ruby shooting. Mr Everywhere was camera shy?
Even before the Report was issued...Hugh Aynesworth offered to help hang Oswald with the killings. It was Aynesworth who "discovered" the mysterious Oswald Russian diary..which was shown to be a fake diary as it turned out but not before he made some big bucks from it along the way. Someone sat down and manufactured that diary but by now no one cares anyway.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2019, 02:45:06 PM »

Offline Mark A. Oblazney

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2019, 03:53:10 PM »
Aynesworth turned into the PR man for the official, "Oswald escape from the TSBD" story. Through his "reporting," Aynesworth propped up Whaley and RD Matthews' cousin, Mary Bledsoe's alleged bus driver, Cecil McWatters. McWatters worked for Dallas Transit, owned and  managed by brothers who had visited the Carousel Club and happened to be represented by Roy Cohn.

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/H%20Disk/Hudkins%20Lonnie/Item%2039.pdf

Weinbergs, employer of Cecil McWatters :
Near left side bottom:http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh23/pdf/WH23_CE_1557.pdf

Interestingly, Roy Cohn's most famous client, aside from POTUS Trump, was the son of a couple buried in the same small Jewish congregation cemetery in Gloversville, NY. Also in that cemetery of less than 500 graves, are the parents of George Senator, Ruby's roommate who testified that he had worked in the family lunch counter in Gloversville, located within shouting distance of Schine Chain Theaters H.Q. That's right, Senator could not have been closer to the family of Roy Cohn's client, G. David Scine, unless he had been an employee of Schine Chain. G. David Schine just happened to be Gen . Mgr. of the Schine owned, Ambassador Hotel in L.A. in 1968, making Schine the employer of Cesar Eugene Thane.

LNs "know what they know," they've persuaded me of that.

https://www.nytimes.com/1961/05/18/archives/fifth-ave-coach-scores-roy-cohn-tactics-in-dissidents-suit.html

Good persuations, Tom.  Thank you very much !

Online Martin Weidmann

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2019, 04:00:05 PM »

Jerry, if you are going to start a thread in an effort to discredit Hugh Aynesworth, then ignore what he wrote in his book (after it is pointed out to you). And instead, insist that what someone else wrote about him is grounds to discredit him, then sorry, but you lose all credibility with me.

Charles, if you look a little closer, you may find that, according to the footnote, the source for this comment in the Wikipedia bio;

Aynesworth reported that activity converged upon the Texas School Book Depository, and that he did not enter the building possibly for fear of running into a gunman.

is Larry Sneed's book "No more silence"..... the same book you relied on earlier in this thread when you discussed Earlene Roberts.

Again, don't count on everything written by William Broyles being accurate. Here is what Hugh Aynesworth said in his interview by Larry Sneed in "No More Silence":

"She told me that day that Oswald came running in while she was watching television and that she tried to talk to him about the President being killed. He didn't want to talk, so he went in, changed his jacket and ran out. She then saw him run off the porch to the left and that was the last time that she saw him. See, there's no mention of what she came up with later that a police car came up and honked and all that crap."

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2019, 04:00:05 PM »

Offline Tom Scully

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2019, 04:32:03 PM »
Good persuations, Tom.  Thank you very much !

All in a day's work, Mark! Wasn't it just fourteen years after, almost to the day, Trump's "William Barr, I" aka Roy Cohn, threatened RFK, that RFK was assassinated in the basement of G. David Schine owned and managed, Ambassador Hotel? Not subtle, not in the least!

Posters seem to have difficulty "wrapping their minds," around many of these "snippets," and this is not a failure exclusive to LNs. Our minds apparently are not capable of "taking it all in," just accepting that truth is stranger than fiction and cherry picking from the buffet of facts is what we all do to confirm our biases.

THE ORDEAL OF LESTER CROWN - The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/1986/12/07/magazine/the-ordeal-of-lester-crown.html
Dec 7, 1986 - Lester Crown's hair is just beginning to show signs of gray. He is ..... Wilmette on Chicago's North Shore with his wife, the former Renee Schine.
...The family turned to A1bert E. Jenner Jr., a lawyer and longtime friend who is on the board of General Dynamics. ''Whenever the kids got into trouble,'' Jenner says, ''they never bothered the old man. They talked to me, and I got them out of trouble.'' In return for his cooperation with the grand jury, Lester Crown was granted immunity from prosecution...

MISS RENEE SCHINE BECOMES A BRIDE; Married to Lester ...
https://www.nytimes.com › 1950/12/29 › archives › miss-renee-schine-beco...
MISS RENEE SCHINE BECOMES A BRIDE; Married to Lester Crown of ... New York Times subscribers* enjoy full access to TimesMachine—view over 150 years of ... Henry Crown of Evanston, Ill., and the late Mrs. Rebecca Kranz Crown, took ...

LESTER CROWN BLAMES THE SYSTEM - The New York ...
https://www.nytimes.com › 1985/06/16 › business › lester-crown-blames-the...
Jun 16, 1985 - New York Times subscribers* enjoy full access to TimesMachine—view ... He is Lester Crown, a company director whose 8.9 million shares of General ... As the son of Henry Crown, the legendary Chicago financier who once ...

J. MYER SGHINE, 78, HOTEL MAN, DEAD - The New York ...
https://www.nytimes.com/1971/05/10/archives/j-myer-sghine-78-hotel-man-dead-65-sale-of-his-150million-holdings.html
May 10, 1971 - Schine, J Myer. ... New York Times subscribers* enjoy full access to ... Mass., and Mrs. Renee Crown of Chicago, the wife of Lester Crown, son ...

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/64955/knesseth-israel-cemetery?
Knesseth Israel Cemetery
LOCATION    Clyde Street
Gloversville, Fulton County, New York, USA
MEMORIALS   572 added (45% photographed)

Hildegarde Feldman Schine23 Mar 1903 – 7 Sep 1994
 Junius Myer Schine
Junius Myer Schine 28 Feb 1890 – 8 May 1971

Abraham Senator3 Sep 1873 – 12 Dec 1934

Anna Schul Senatorunknown – 4 Jul 1950

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/interview/elyse-goldweber/
TRUMP’S SHOWDOWN
Elyse Goldweber  Former Justice Dept. lawyer
Elyse Goldweber is an attorney who runs a practice specializing in family law and business partnerships. She began her career as a trial attorney for the Justice Department’s Fair Housing Section in the Civil Rights Division, where she worked on a federal housing discrimination suit against Donald Trump and his father, Fred, for refusing to rent to African Americans.

This is the transcript of an interview with FRONTLINE’s Michael Kirk conducted on May 23, 2018
. It has been edited for clarity and length.

TEXT INTERVIEW: Highlight text to share it.

Let’s start with the facts of the case. What are they?

.....We filed in the Eastern District of Brooklyn. … As soon as we filed the lawsuit, the Trumps, mainly Donald, hired Roy Cohn, who was quite infamous even at that time.

… How do you discover that it’s Roy Cohn? Does his name show up on a piece of paper?

Well, what our practice was at the Department of Justice, they knew we were looking at them. I mean, we had requested documentation. By the end they knew I was there, etc. And then the FBI helped us and interviewed other people for me. So we called them and told them they were being sued. That was our standard practice in civil injunctive actions.

Then the next thing we knew was that Roy Cohn, the older Mr. [Fred] Trump and Donald Trump, appear in The New York Times, and they sued the government. … Now, you can't sue the federal government; they have sovereign immunity. That's how we found out about Roy Cohn.

What was your reaction when you saw the story at the Times?

“Oh, my gosh, this is going to be really, really interesting,” because I was very interested, just personally, in the Army-McCarthy hearings, so I knew a lot about that, and I knew more than—because I was interested in that more than, I guess, the normal person about Roy Cohn.

What did you think of Roy Cohn? What were your thoughts?

Well, they weren't good. They weren't good. I mean, I thought he was a terrible guy.

And the idea of them countersuing even though there was sovereign immunity?

Right, right. It’s always upsetting.

But it seems almost frivolous, right? What were they doing, a publicity stunt?

Right, correct. And that got them a lot of attention. That was Page 1 of the Times.

And your strategy?

Our strategy was just to continue working hard. They made a motion to dismiss, and so our first court appearance was in front of Judge Nair, who was a Republican judge. Really at that time, certainly because you were a Republican or a Democratic federal district court judge… —I mean, it was a very prestigious job, and it was sort of irrelevant what party they were from.

How old were you?

I was the same age as Donald, so I was 27.

And Donald's aspect? What was he like when you first saw him?

Well, the first time I saw them was our first court appearance, where it was pouring. I had a hard time getting to court. The subway was broken; I had to take a cab. And we're in court, and because it’s their motion, they get to argue first. And Judge Nair let him speak uninterrupted for 45 minutes, of which of course I'm having a heart attack. Am I going to live through this?

What do you mean? Why?

Well, the guy, Roy Cohn, is just talking for 45 minutes uninterrupted. That's not what usually happens in court. People just don’t get to speak for a long, extended period. There are lots of questions, etc.

What's he saying?

Just how this is a horrible thing; that the power of the state to bring this to tell people who they can rent to, who they can't rent to, the usual. … Then I got up, and I was very nervous. But what turned out to make it a lot better, he—I didn't get to talk for two minutes uninterrupted. He asked questions, and that is easier to respond to.

The judge asked questions?

Yes. So he asked questions for about a half hour, 40 minutes.

And here you are, up against—

Yeah, my first job, my first court appearance. I mean, it is remarkable.

You're up against Roy Cohn.

Yeah. It was very exciting.

So what happens next?

What happens next is something that is unusual, that doesn't always happen, is the judge ruled from the bench, and he denied their application for dismissal of the case. Then we set what's called the discovery schedule. The way I recollect it is we took the depositions of Fred and Donald Trump maybe two or three days later. They were made available. So my boss—of course we thought at that time that Fred was the more important guy, so he took Fred, and I took Donald. We also had croissants on the side, and coffee and water.

So take me there cinematically. Describe from the beginning to the end what it felt like.....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 04:52:36 PM by Tom Scully »