Users Currently Browsing This Topic:
0 Members

Author Topic: Roger Craig  (Read 106013 times)

Offline Rick Plant

Re: Roger Craig
« Reply #648 on: June 05, 2022, 11:06:35 AM »
Advertisement
So what does "fairly familiar with rifles" mean, exactly? The lack of specificity in that statement inspires anything but confidence. And, as I've already pointed out, the "awhile" in "I was in the sporting goods business awhile" turns out to be something less than one year. And this less-than-a-year tenure was spend in the executive suite rather than the shop floor. Not a place to gain a lot of expertise regarding what a specific rifle would look like.

Someone in the sporting goods business where rifles are sold would know what merchandise he is selling. Would he not?

Someone in law enforcement would know the difference between different makes of weapons, would he not?

And a person with no knowledge of weaponry would even know what the make of the weapon is when the word "Mauser" is stamped directly on it. Isn't that correct?         

So, how could Weitzman not know that the rifle was a Mauser when the stamp on the rifle tells him what it is.

That's like someone trying to claim they don't know that it's a Ford truck when the word FORD is stamped in bold letters.     

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #648 on: June 05, 2022, 11:06:35 AM »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #649 on: June 05, 2022, 06:11:34 PM »
Someone in the sporting goods business where rifles are sold would know what merchandise he is selling. Would he not?

Someone in law enforcement would know the difference between different makes of weapons, would he not?

And a person with no knowledge of weaponry would even know what the make of the weapon is when the word "Mauser" is stamped directly on it. Isn't that correct?         

So, how could Weitzman not know that the rifle was a Mauser when the stamp on the rifle tells him what it is.

That's like someone trying to claim they don't know that it's a Ford truck when the word FORD is stamped in bold letters.   

Why don't you believe your own eyes ??

There are many many photos of the rifle as Detective Day retrieved and examined the---- C-A-R-C-A-N-O.......
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 11:04:47 PM by Walt Cakebread »

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #650 on: June 05, 2022, 06:50:25 PM »
Craig never came out and said he never saw a Mauser after he stated that he witnessed one. So no, he didn't "change his story" just because he didn't state it again years later.   

Why did Weitzman change his story after he said he witnessed a Mauser? 

Why would a Sheriff claim to just "glance" at the possible murder weapon?  Wouldn't he fully inspect it as part of the investigation?   
If you don't see the inherent contradiction between Craig's 1968 story ("I didn't know what it was") and his '70's videotaped interview ("stamped on the barrel was '7.65 Mauser'), it can only be because you are trying very, very, very, very, very hard not to.

If you don't at least wonder why Craig failed to mention seeing the '7.65 Mauser' stamp on the rifle in his Shaw trial testimony, it's because you simply wish to be incurious.

If you don't think twice as to why Craig didn't mention the stamp in When They Kill a President , you just don't want to think.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #650 on: June 05, 2022, 06:50:25 PM »

Offline Paul J Cummings

« Reply #651 on: June 05, 2022, 07:35:40 PM »

Online Mitch Todd

« Reply #652 on: June 05, 2022, 10:23:00 PM »

Someone in Weitzman's position would certainly be expected to  know how much a particular item cost to purchase, how much it sold for, the customer base for the item, how well it sold, and how many were in stock. Beyond that, I wouldn't count on anything.

I would hope they would know something about firearms, but I wouldn't expect any randomly-selected officer to be able to determine --on sight-- the manufacturer and caliber of any gun they might see.

I would expect that someone who saw the word "Mauser" on the rifle would have said so from the get-go. I would not expect for them to spend the next ten years spewing out a number of contradictory stories about the rifle. 

This begs the question of if the word FORD was on the truck in the first place. Especially when there is film showing that the truck is a FIAT.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 10:23:34 PM by Mitch Todd »

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #652 on: June 05, 2022, 10:23:00 PM »

Offline Paul J Cummings

« Reply #653 on: June 05, 2022, 10:51:45 PM »
So it was determined the shots came from the TSBD that killed the President of the United States couldn't identify the rifle until the next day. Yeah it's like they didn't have anyone around to identify the rifle that killed Kennedy because they were tied up doing other things.

I would hope they would know something about firearms, but I wouldn't expect any randomly-selected officer to be able to determine --on sight-- the manufacturer and caliber of any gun they might see.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 10:54:05 PM by Paul J Cummings »

Offline Walt Cakebread

« Reply #654 on: June 05, 2022, 11:31:01 PM »
https://www.jfk-assassination.net/russ/testimony/craigsh.htm

A: I went from there to the sixth floor to help in the search.
Q: While you were on the sixth floor and in your presence was any rifle found?
A: Yes.
Q: And did you personally find the rifle?
A: No, sir, I did not but I was about eight feet from the gentleman that found it.
Q: Did you ever get closer to the gentleman holding the rifle?
A: Yes, sir, I did.
Q: Approximately how far?
A: About one foot or one and a half foot. I was standing next to him.
Q: Do you recall the man who was there?
A: No, he was an ID man from the Dallas Police Department, however, he did not find the rifle, Eugene Boone, a Deputy Sheriff, he found the rifle.
Q: What do you mean an ID man?
A: An identification man from the Dallas Police Department.
Q: Approximately how long did you view the rifle at this time?
A: Just two or three minutes. They took it away immediately, they held lit up by the strap and then took it away from there.
Q: Officer Craig, I am going to show you -- I mean Mr. Craig, I'm going to show you what has been marked for purposes of identification as State's Exhibit 18 and ask you if you have seen this rifle or a similar rifle at any time?
A: The rifle found was similar to this one with the exception it had a strap connected to it.
Q: Officer Craig, were you able to observe the location that the rifle was found in?
A: Yes.
Q: Where was that?
A: In the northeast corner of the sixth floor there was a stack of boxes approximately five fee high and they were stacked in a square and in the middle of the square was a hole and the rifle was in this hole.
Q: Mr. Craig, were you able to determine from what direction the reports or sounds you heard in Dealey Plaza emanated from on that day?

Q: Approximately how long did you view the rifle at this time?
A: Just two or three minutes. They took it away immediately, they held lit up by the strap and then took it away from there.

They did not take it away from there.....After detective JC Day picked up the carcano from beneath the pallet he held it up to show Captain Fritz. They examined the rifle and opened the bolt to clear the breech of any live cartridge then Detective Day stepped over to the brightly lit window and started checking the rifle for finger prints.    Tom Alyea filmed detective Day as he examined the  C-A-R-C-A-N-O.

JFK Assassination Forum

« Reply #654 on: June 05, 2022, 11:31:01 PM »

Offline Paul J Cummings

« Reply #655 on: June 06, 2022, 01:21:26 AM »
Since people were discussing his testimony with Garrison I posted it. Also since the President of the United States was killed wouldn't you think it wouldn't take until the next day to identify?